Holset HX35 vs HX40 numbers - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Holset HX35 vs HX40 numbers

So i'm stuck between the HX35 and Super HX40 turbo's. I'm in the process of building a tubular manifold, and need to chose a turbo asap to make up my mind on the turbo collector.

I'd preferably want to go with a twin scroll, but if push comes to shove, I'll do a single scroll

HP goal; I'd like to see 470+ whp - 600hp

Couple weeks ago, I spoke to John ( Hi, John, (: ...my bad not calling you back. work has picked up quite a bit ), and I couldn't get to an in-depth discussion about which would be best for my goal

Now for those that are/did run the HX35 or HX40, please list down the following:

Engine:
Turbo:
Twin or single scroll:
T3 or T4:
Boost:
HP:
Torque:

Pro's:
Con's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sha-d; 02-08-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

This may also help other users!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
not many people have run these, and there are many many more vairables besides the turbos themselves per peoples setups. IE a hx35 using a stock manifold will have very different numbers than one using a well engineered equal length tubular one. Also, it should be known that the only purpose of a twin scroll turbo is to make up for a non equal length exhaust manifold. if you have a proper manifold design than there is absolutely no need, or gain in using a twin scroll setup.

if you looking for 470whp, scrap both those options, and use an HE351cw, they are the next gen of Hx35's and have many advantages. the largest of which is that the housing on the HE351 move much more air, much more effectively. making colder operating temps, and thus more power. The other is that it has a 4inch v-band straight off the exhaust house, which makes for awesome down-pipes

if you want 600whp, you will probably need an hx40/super 40, and one hell of a redline. you would have a hard time convincing me that the extra 130whp is worth the extra lag/size/design of an hx40, vs an he351. in either case it will just make lots of wheelspin in these cars

Mike D

Last edited by mike d; 02-11-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

You are located in Toronto aren't you? im making a holset hy35 build if you are interested in seeing it when im done, I hope to be the first holset 9-5 in Canada
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Honestly I think you can approach 470whp with the proper HX35 but the cams are going to be the limiting factor. Words from Vigge when asking similar questions to find out how I was going to reach 500bhp - you'll be hardpressed reaching 500bhp on stock T5 cams.

Engine: Stock 2.0
Turbo: Holset HX35, thought it was 56mm but a Dodge guy was convinced it was smaller
Twin or single scroll: Twin scroll
T3 or T4: T3
Boost: 28psi maybe, I forget
HP: 396whp initially on a Dynojet, 383whp on a Mustang dyno later on with more tuning
Torque: 350lb.ft. made the 396whp, 383lbft made the 383whp. Definitely more load on the Mustang dyno cause the pulls took forever and scared the shit out of me

Pro's: Awesome spool for the powerband. Awesome sound. Cheap/disposable/indestructible. Oil cooled. Potential for upgrade. Bragging rights that you have a turbo off of a truck. Aftermarket manifold requirement.
Con's: Large size. Compared to Nick's dyno plots (though his engines may run higher compression) spool up is slow and requires more boost per lb.ft. Rev limit not enough to take advantage of the potential. Aftermarket manifold requirement.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 02-20-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in