Turbo Upgrade Possibilities - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to griffen nut
Turbo Upgrade Possibilities

I have a feeling my turbo is going....soon.

I have a warranty on my car that would most likely replace it for free (not sure tho because of my mods--hope i didnt void anything

So what are my options if I want to upgrade? I want something that will bolt right up.

All I know about is the Aero turbo with the 6cm housing compared to my 5cm housing, but is that even worth the money to upgrade if i can get a 5cm for free?

The other one i heard of is the Garrett GT series turbos. Do these bolt right up?

I know I will need new software which wont be a problem because Jak would be able to set me up nicely i hope, but anything else I would need? (I'm thinking im gonna need injectors with a bigger turbo)

So what are my options? Anyone have either the Aero or GT series turbo on their car?

Last edited by griffen nut; 04-18-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
JK
Elder

I bet you could take advantage of the new TD04 and have someone put an 18t compressor wheel on it...not sure what that will run you $$$ wise
Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
yeah ive heard good things about the 18t being used. basically no mods to the engine to make it work, you get to keep the same exhaust, intake, oil and water lines. that would probably be enough to keep you happy for a while.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s
I bet you could take advantage of the new TD04 and have someone put an 18t compressor wheel on it...not sure what that will run you $$$ wise

yea Jak was saying something about the 18t...will that just be my TdO4 with a bigger turbine wheel? Because i asked him about the t25/t28 hybrid and he said not to because it wont bolt right but i should do a 18t...both for about $800
Old 04-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

im thinking the same thing, but i dont have a warranty.

my 1st choice this: buy a used T25, send it to Deadbolt Enterprises (www.boostplanet.com) which is VERY close to where i live and have them do a rebuild, larger compressor wheel, ceramic coating, and port/polish it for less than $500.

or: upgrade to a TD04...

what to do?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Elder

o yea, would the infamous disco potato bolt up? lol
Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

i dont think so. it requires some work so i hear.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Disco potato isnt a direct bolt up turbo and an 18t wheel will be unbalanced on a TD-04 w/5cm exhaust housing - you would need the 6cm housing from an aero.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

unless you a swapping with the same unit turbo upgrades are never "bolt on" you will always run into issues. Even the td04 which is supposedly "bolt on" is far from it.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrangi
unless you a swapping with the same unit turbo upgrades are never "bolt on" you will always run into issues. Even the td04 which is supposedly "bolt on" is far from it.
i have the TD04 right now..why would a different TD04 be any different?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Elder

I think whay im going to end up doing is getting a new TD04 and converting it to an 18T
Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I was just talking in terms of upgrading from the garrett base model turbo to the mitsu td04.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #13
Elder

o ok...yea, i think thats a good amount of work and why im not going to go from a mitsu. to a Garret... I was thinking about the t25/t28 hybrid that Jak has
Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Elder

has anyone upgraded to the 18t? how much was it and how hard, and what kind of performance can be expected?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I will be doing this, probably 90%. You can get pretty good gains. Nick uses this turbo on his Viggen with some good results. I have heard that in terms of the 2.0 engine, it is the optimum turbo in terms of power and driveability.

I have been told this turbo is good for 350 hp and 400 ft-lb at the crank. Sounds good to me, as this is probably a good realistic point of our cars.

My suggestion for you. Do whatever it takes to get the turbo covered by warranty. I mean spend a day switching parts back to stock, anything! Its a $650 part or something from Saab.

Now, once you get that, start looking for the 9000 aero turbo to rebuild, rebuild it, and swap with your new turbo. Now you can sell your almost brand new turbo to the many guys looking for that upgrade on their t25 equipped cars. Brilliant, eh??
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
I will be doing this, probably 90%. You can get pretty good gains. Nick uses this turbo on his Viggen with some good results. I have heard that in terms of the 2.0 engine, it is the optimum turbo in terms of power and driveability.

I have been told this turbo is good for 350 hp and 400 ft-lb at the crank. Sounds good to me, as this is probably a good realistic point of our cars.

My suggestion for you. Do whatever it takes to get the turbo covered by warranty. I mean spend a day switching parts back to stock, anything! Its a $650 part or something from Saab.

Now, once you get that, start looking for the 9000 aero turbo to rebuild, rebuild it, and swap with your new turbo. Now you can sell your almost brand new turbo to the many guys looking for that upgrade on their t25 equipped cars. Brilliant, eh??
So I would work on aero turbo to convert to 18t....why not just used my new TD04 to convert to the 18t? seems like a lot less work, and how much will i gain from the 6cm housing?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Well your exhaust gas temps will be very high with an 18t/5cm2. Now this is where I usually get mixed up, so don't beleive everything I say to be 100% accurate. But basically the exhaust side will cork the flow of the 18t, if that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Well your exhaust gas temps will be very high with an 18t/5cm2. Now this is where I usually get mixed up, so don't beleive everything I say to be 100% accurate. But basically the exhaust side will cork the flow of the 18t, if that makes sense.
lol ok, still better than my knowledge tho...so if i want to upgrade to 18t i basically have to upgrade to the aero turbo as well? Anything else i can do turbo wise? I dont want this to be uber expensive, and i want everyting to fit up decently
Old 04-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
you got it. 18t will feel like a stock turbo with a 5cm housing because its waaay to small and wont be able to move all the air...as it is if you ran an 18t wheel with the 5cm housing egt's would be off the chart and do damage to something most likely. You can get an 18t upgrade (the wheel has to be clipped to fit the housing and to prevent boost creep) for about $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
TSLMember

as well if you go to the td04 with 6cm housing i think you will need to port out the exhaust manifold to accomodate. looks like a fun little project but will require removing the manifold from the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in