strange sound - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
gdc
SAAB Road Master

strange sound

so ive had some time off , and i fixed some things, pulled a broken manifold stud without having to pull the manifold off, yes i was excited and can show photos and tools incase anybody has the same problem and ported the manifold elbow , fixed gaskets , ball joints , tie rod ends and the saab is driving great but , now the saab 1998 900 makes a strange noise, so i got an intake from GS , got the correct IC hose I needed im still running a t25 , and GS stage one , a crossflow intercooler , a forge blowoff valve . saab sport exhaust, so I know i need an 3 in dp but that is another story , so the boost seems to dies at about 3.5 grand I realize that is because Ive a got a small turbo, but if i push is past that and let off the gas and don't shift it makes a strange sound almost like a crash, czzzzzch, it doesnt always do it but , I guess I need a video , with some sound , but it is burning oil I think because black residue on the saab sport tail pipe,
is it possible I need a new tune because I got the cross flow IC, or is it time for new turbo, It sounds like turbo surge but I didnt think that was possible with such a weak setup
any thoughts and how do i post video
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yes it possible, can you adjust the BOV? Bearings/seal can also be going out on that turbo as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
gdc
SAAB Road Master

I think the forge BOV will adjust with a new spring , do I wanna go to stronger spring ?
I think the black residue on the tail pipe is a bit of a giveaway, that this garret with about 100k on it has begun to die , the good news is now I can rebuild it , Do you how difficult is it to hybrid T28 bits or do you think that it is even worth it. I also saw someone port the exhaust side of the turbo where it meets the DP any thoughts on that

Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

When's the last time you replaced your vac lines? Mine made that noise until I did mine.

Crossflow intercooler shouldn't need a new tune. Yeah you could get a tad more aggressive tune but it should still run fine.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Crash and then chzzzzzzz sounds more like motor-mounts and gear-pack back-lash. In these cars a lot of the time when you aggressively engine brake, there is this "czzzzzzzzzz" buzzing/gnashing sound. None of these sounds sound like a turbo problem. Go look up compressor surge and blow-off valve surge--I doubt very much these are actually going on in your car.
Post a video of it if you can. A lot of interpretation of sounds oft leads us on wild goose chases.
-Cm
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
gdc
SAAB Road Master

thanks for the Replies , Snowcat and Cm I dont think its the mounts because I have GS poly transmount and a newish rear motor mount like 15k on it so maybe, but will go look at them and see if anything is moving about.
the noise seems to come from the intake side of the motor , It seems to be the other side compared to the BOV noise
What is gear-pack backlash ? sorry if that is dumb question Im kinda newer to these saabs this is my first but not the last anyway
another thing is it doesnt always do it and never does it when im not WOT and only happens after car is warmed up . the video thing didnt work I tried to record over phone and you can not hear it on the video maybe if i taped phone under hood? or had a dyno. so oh well
And I also I talked to GS and apparently they said it was a common noise sound because of the intake and blowoff combo
long story short im probably just being a dork because ill have other cars die and so now look for any minute sound or difference
sorry for the hunting expedition
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

When you accelerate you impart a force vector on the gears that causes them to wear in a specific direction; when you lift off, engine braking imparts a torque opposite of that accrued during every day driving forward, and thus, meshing is more coarse, which makes noise. It is exacerbated by the fact that 4 cylinder engines have relatively large "gaps" between torque pulses from the pistons, which causes a sort of micro-scale back and forth movement in the drivetrain.
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in