***Which ECU ? *** - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
TSLMember

***Which ECU ? ***

Now that i seem to have my exhuast squared away its time for bigger and better things...i need more power !!! haha ... Im going to get the ecu upgrade but i still have not decided between SQR or SPEEDPARTS. Anybody have any advice
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
i think it would be SQR cause you have a downpipe. I think that nick taileferro and engstrom both use speedparts for stages 1 and 2 then for 3 and for i think they use SQR. once you get the downpipe, it becomes stage 3. I may be wrong so someone please correct me if i am.
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
I would get a maptune... they are the best from what i hear.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
TSLMember

i cant afford maptun
Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Errr ... IIRC both speedparts and SQR get their ECU from BSR?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
Administrator

maptuns are like 1,000 the others are like 8 or 900.... just a small difference.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
TSLMember

prices

i have a t5 so prices are different
Maptun: $699
SQR: stage 3 $595
Speedparts: $571 without air flter
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
Administrator

100$.... i would wait and get a maptun
Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Definately get maptun. More power...and personally I just think better overall.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:10 AM   #10
TSLMember

ecu

i agree maptun makes great products but if i order maptun its $699 then i guess i have to pay the shiping from sweeden which is like $100 so it would cost $800
SQR $595 $15 shpping and i heard sqr has great software also
Speedparts $571 shipping proably $15 dont no much about theres

Does anyone have any of the three if soo let me know what you think
Nick
Old 03-10-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

www.group9performance.com sells MapTun products here .. so I assume their shipping is cheaper, which translates into less cost passed on to us ... however I also think they make some small profit off each ECU so you'll pay for that in some way or another. Though it might be that MapTun split the profits with them. At any rate, you won't pay $100 more for shipping from them.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:55 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Ced, was there a plan to do a group buy on ECUs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Yea there was because it will definately keep shipping down, and we may be able to pull the price down on them as well.

I believe we could get T5($50 savings) or T7($350 savings) ECUs for about $650, and if we order 3 or more the shipping will of course be less. Those are the numbers I remember. If we get an interest list going, I'll confirm those prices with him. Of course these are Group Buy prices only.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Got my t5 ECU Maptune stage 3 upgrade from Gr 9...a little over $650 because of the Swedish Kron rate at the time.
My next upgrade will only cost $100.00 on the ECU, so I bought a second ECU for my stage 4/5. haven't decided on yet...., but potentially sell my current stage 3 for the right price.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #15
TSLMember

ecu

dc saab are u interested in selling it ?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #16
TSLMember

ecu

wait we wana do a group buy ? from gr9? we should see if we can get any discounts from other people such as bsr,sqr,speedparts and compare some prices. Because that would def be awsome if we could get some decent discounts
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #17
HNNLIC
Elder

We may have a source for Speedparts ECUs, but im unsure who deals SQR.

Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I narrowed my ECU search down to SQR or Maptune. I wouldn't be up for anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-11-2004, 06:02 AM   #19
TSLMember

ecu

same here tweek we should call engstrom or frank stromquist about deals on sqr
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 AM   #20
Trollerator
Elder

From what I have read, Maptun guys used to be Saab Trionic Engineers, and so they know Trionic inside and out, and they don't mess with the functions that make Trionic run safely. They also make the power come on smoothly so that you don't destroy your transmission. BSR/Speedparts have been known for a quicker harsher onset of power (feels really fast, but your tranny will beg for mercy) and also they have had some problems with the cars running too lean. They mess around with parts of trionic that are there for safety's sake, not the best idea, IMHO. They also are plagued by horror stories of terrible and unacceptbale customer service. Finally, SQR seems to be right on, like Maptun. The big advantge here is that they seem to offer more customizeable packages to better take advantage of the random parts/upgrades you might have. Frank is known as the "high priest of boost". I think anyone looking for an ECU would be best served by checking out Maptun or SQR, because in the long run your engine and tranny will last longer! And I have never heard one complaint about these two tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in