Homemade BOV - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Homemade BOV

Ive been doing some looking, and peolpe where making homemade BOVs.

I know that you are supposed to take off this pipe shown in the picture and block it off.

Then this is where I am confused, In this picture they say that I am supposed to put some filter on it or something like that?

Sorry for such limited information on this.. All the threads that I have found containing this information have been incomplete.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Basically, you remove that rubber hose and somehow block the port on the intake. You should run a filter on the BOV because it will suck in unfiltered air under vacuum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Alright so I have the pipe removed. Is there anyway to make it a bit louder?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Get a BOV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Yup. You have two ways of making it louder: run more boost, thus making the purge of excess boost louder; or get a BOV that's slightly restrictive and forces the expelled boost through holes or horns to magnify the sound.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
you really should keep it recirculated if you are not going to use a filter, a cool noise isn't worth getting stuff sucked into your motor
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
SAABeginner

I was getting told that there is alot of speculation as to where this actually sucks any air in. From what I felt it only blows air out. So I should recirculate it just to be safe before I get a BOV?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #8

Get a small bit of foam or panty hose and zip tie it it on.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Get a forged BOV, the stock plastic one sucks and leaks also an open air intake will make it nice and loud. use a plastic bottle cap to cap it lol its ghetto but it works
Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab95Aero View Post
Get a forged BOV, the stock plastic one sucks and leaks also an open air intake will make it nice and loud. use a plastic bottle cap to cap it lol its ghetto but it works
Doesn't really. Eventually it melts or becomes so thermally fatigued that it cracks and disintegrates. Ask me how I know... instead, go to a hardware store and get a threaded steel end-cap, IIRC, 1" ID. This literally threads onto the exposed port on the intake.
They don't really suck in that much air. The likelihood of doing damage from the minute amount of particulate taken in is nil. Most of the time, even during engine vacuum, they are closed or venting positive pressure. The only time they fringe on sucking in air is during throttle blips.
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in