spec stage 3+ major issues help needed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
TSLMember

spec stage 3+ major issues help needed

so ive been away for a while here. ended up buying a new wrx a few years ago when I lost half my gears in my stg 5 1999 9-3 vert tuned by JZW with 200,000 miles on the clock. its still been driven though, only as far as Ive been willing to walk home. the whole 1,3,5 shifting I got really good at.

I ended up getting a transmission from Goldwing for a really great price back in June and waited for ever and ever for a quartermaster twin disc but it never came in. so I decided to order a stg 3+ spec kit directly from their website after a recommendation from John for roughly a $1,000. I already had their lightweight flywheel and stg 3 six puck with the viggen pp in before it broke. the new kit included their pp and a new slave cylinder. I took it to a reputable saab shop locally, the only place its ever been serviced its entire 14 yr life. this is where the trouble began.

The first disc I got from SPEC did not fit the transmission spline, would only go onto the shaft about a 1/4" before it stuck in place. I called SPEC and they said I had to use a file to file down the teeth to get it to fit. The shop filed it for over two hours and it still was nowhere near fitting. I sent it back to SPEC with my 6 puck so they could put a hub in that fit and they pressed in a new hub "that fit" and sent it back to me after charging me $60 to ship it back. Took it to the shop and guess what it still didn't fit. this time they told me to polish off the black paint they put on it and it would fit. Took a cleaning brush for a .45 and attached it to my power drill for about 30 minutes and it was clean as could be. Still was nowhere near fitting. Sent it back to SPEC for the second time and they pressed out the hub from the 6 puck which fit just fine and pressed it into the stg 3+. Finally got it back about a week later and went on like butter.

The slave cylinder they sent the seal was too large and leaked oil when put back on (the diameter of the inside was too large). luckily I had already bought a stock one so the shop was able to replace it no problem. So I thought that today after being in the shop for 4 weeks I would get it back. Stopped by at lunch to see if I could pick it up this afternoon. They tell me that there is major problems... again. WTF now the clutch does not disengage from the transmission. It goes into gear but my mechanic says that either the disc is too thick or the pp does not have enough travel to release it. It wants to lurch forward even in neutral and cannot get it out of gear once its engaged.

I have yet to call SPEC again for the bagillionith time to try and find out WTF is going on with this thing because I was too busy at work today.

I saw comtrang had a bunch of issues with his stg 3+ but it seems others have had issues too...

any suggestions from the community?

sorry about the rant this has been a painful couple of weeks trying to get my saab back on the road where it belongs.

Thanks in advance
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Elder

I've had to file-out SPEC center hubs, 2 or 3 times, had premature failures, (one time it machined-out the pressure plate surface), poor customer service, badly chattering SPECS, squaking SPECS lol...I even changed a friend's prematurely-failed SPEC because I had got so good at changing out my own piece of crap SPEC products..,he bought me a short shifter for my trouble, which was nice and more than I ever got out of SPEC lol.

I wish I could find the name of the "engineer" there that I talked-to on the phone one time because he was a super ass hole too.

Never again. No more SPEC.

Sorry to hear about your problems too. Don't buy SPEC.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 11-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
TSLMember

What are the other options? How much can the stock viggen clutch take? I contacted Sachs through a email about a upgraded pressure plate. Waiting for a return email.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I've had to file-out SPEC center hubs, 2 or 3 times, had premature failures, (one time it machined-out the pressure plate surface), poor customer service, badly chattering SPECS, squaking SPECS lol...I even changed a friend's prematurely-failed SPEC because I had got so good at changing out my own piece of crap SPEC products..,he bought me a short shifter for my trouble, which was nice and more than I ever got out of SPEC lol.

I wish I could find the name of the "engineer" there that I talked-to on the phone one time because he was a super ass hole too.

Never again. No more SPEC.

Sorry to hear about your problems too. Don't buy SPEC.
I spoke to Paul. He seems like quite the ass
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting-FB View Post
What are the other options? How much can the stock viggen clutch take? I contacted Sachs through a email about a upgraded pressure plate. Waiting for a return email.
the stock viggen clutch would not last with this car. it runs too much boost and over 400 ft-lb of tq
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
TSLMember

Doesn't seem to be to many options. I'm in the final stages of putting a top mount gtx turbo setup together. At this point, until a better solution comes along, I'm going to run the stock clutch.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Just go to a local clutch shop and have them resurface your stock clutch or 6puck with better materials.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Just go to a local clutch shop and have them resurface your stock clutch or 6puck with better materials.
Did this to my old Clutchnet when the Spec shit out a month after install. The center was fine, he just removed the friction material and put new stuff on for $80. Has held fine since the summer, though haven't been beating on it.

I'm going to try and speak with Competition Clutch about one.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting-FB View Post
Doesn't seem to be to many options. I'm in the final stages of putting a top mount gtx turbo setup together. At this point, until a better solution comes along, I'm going to run the stock clutch.
Sadly, that's not a bad idea.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
TSLMember

Kupplung-Druckplatte, verstärkte Ausführung - S-Performance GmbH

Think I'm going to roll the dice and try this upgraded pressure plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in