PITA or No? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

PITA or No?

Got a buddy who is offering a TD05-20g off his Evo for ~400. I am currently on the fence about whether or not to get a Holset Hy35 or this thing, the deciding factor being how much of a pain in the ass the install is going to be.
As per this thread: https://www.saablink.net/forum/perfor...-9-3/62610.htm
It looks like the Hy is a PITA. Anyone have any experience with the TD05's? They are more popular and more accessible and seem to flow about the same ~45lb/min, whereas the T28 does ~35-38lb/min.
What say you?
Thanks in advance,
-Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #2

Before pulling the trigger, get your hands on the turbo and try to test fit it. Make sure there's enough clearance to both the block and to the AC compressor. (Consider using one of the manifold spacers).

Check the dimensions of the manifold/turbine housing flange and, on the outlet, ensure that you won't need much done to the DP outside of some minor welding.

Check the position of the WG actuator and make sure there enough clearance to the radiator fan. You might need to trim the shroud a bit, or install a slim fan with the same wiring.

Make sure the compressor side doesn't have any funky pressure ports that might interfere with the intake piping. (That was the case with my 16T from a Volvo.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Elder

My brother has a Hahn Racecraft TD-05 on his 9000, with the 10cm^2 turbine housing. It's a little laggy because of the big turbine housing

You need to find out which turbine inlet flange it has, that would be your biggest hurdle. My brother made a set of tube headers so it doesn't matter, but if you use an adapter it will probably sit too low. His has a T3 flange instead of a T25.

If you can make custom hoses it doesn't matter, but expect you won't be able to re-use hard lines, and customize the oil return pipe.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
My brother has a Hahn Racecraft TD-05 on his 9000, with the 10cm^2 turbine housing. It's a little laggy because of the big turbine housing

You need to find out which turbine inlet flange it has, that would be your biggest hurdle. My brother made a set of tube headers so it doesn't matter, but if you use an adapter it will probably sit too low. His has a T3 flange instead of a T25.

If you can make custom hoses it doesn't matter, but expect you won't be able to re-use hard lines, and customize the oil return pipe.
This brings up an excellent point. Many turbo's I see are T3, or larger flanges still capable of "adapting" to the T25 OE flange; how low will these "adapter fit" turbo's sit on OE headers? I know some of the G30 guy's on here run adapter plates to a T25 flange on the OE headers, but that parameter my not be valid for the TD05 turbo.
@Mike Saunders: The problem is that he is a couple hours away from where my car is, so fitting it virtually is going to be more challenging.
Also, the exhaust matching is sort of a tossed point, as few to none turbo's have the Saab-type triangular brackets.
Thanks for the feedback thus far.
-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in