Saab Link Forums banner

Viggen t5/b234 BUILD! Made a decision!

25K views 148 replies 29 participants last post by  93viggen 
#1 · (Edited)
I have come to the decision to build a b234 for my Viggen that I just picked up for cheap due to having a blown motor. I have been wanting to do all this for a long time now, and I have the opportunity right now, so I could not justify not doing it ;).

I ordered all the parts needed for a rebuild and a lot more tonight!
Parts list for build:
B234 block (t5), t5 cylinder head, 234 timing cover and oil pump.
235 oil pickup tube, b235 oil pan, b235 wind-age tray.
T5 intake manifold injector flange (to retain proper injector angle). T7 runners and plenum to retain t7 components such as throttle body, MAP sensor location, etc.
Pauter connecting rods (147mm)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wossner pistons.
Main and rod bearings (standard Glyco, miced the crankshaft and checked oil clearances which allowed me to buy all my parts now :)).
Thrust washers/bearings.
All seals, gaskets, o-rings, valve stem seals, etc. (All OE).
Permatex/Loctite 518 anerobic sealer.
Power steering high pressure hose. P/s return line from rack to reservoir.
Genuine Saab t5 uprated valve springs.
Genuine Saab balance shafts delete kit.
ARP head stud kit.
ARP main stud kit (pending along with the Spec stage 3+ from John). OE slave cylinder kit.
ARP flywheel bolts.
AEM 320lph in tank fuel pump.
Axle/differential seals.
Selector shaft seal and bushing.
Accessory drive belt, retaining air conditioning.
Heater hose kit.
Upper and lower radiator hoses.
Coolant pump hose.
HEPU coolant pump kit.
82 degrees Celsius thermostat kit.
Exhaust manifold stud kit.
Silicone vacuum line (12 feet).
Master timing kit (guides, chains, tensioners, oil pump o-ring, valve cover gasket, oil cooler o-rings, etc. Available through Eeuroparts for $200~ which is a steal).
NGK BCPR7ES spark plugs.
Autometer oil pressure, Prosport EGT, and boost gauges.
Genuine Saab top mount exhaust manifold. (bought used).
Genuine Saab top mount down pipe, with 3" v-band option. (bought used).
Garret GT3071r turbocharger.
Forge bypass valve.
MP performance intercooler (used).
875cc 80lb/hr Siemens injectors with fuel rail spacers.
BSR cold air intake.
All turbo hardware, plumbing, coolant, oil lines, etc.
Genuine Saab stock location turbo bypass valve plug (used).
New t7 ignition discharge module.

That is all I can recall at the moment. Just saw my bank account skyrocket down!
Should be seeing about 50 boxes of parts in the next month~. :saab
Then as soon as it all arrives I am headed to the machine shop!

These guys are local to me I just found out, talking to them about machine work and pricing! Maybe I can get us some hookups :).

This thread will be picture heavy, I document every step of everything I do on my cars.

See less See more
#8 ·
I promise, it will be! Just a few months! Looking for a reputable machine shop somewhat near me at the moment.

More stuff ordered:
ARP Ultra torque lube.
VHT ceramic high temp paint.
VHT black pearl engine paint (for my Engine block).
Redline MTL.
Redline assembly lube.
Comp Cams spray lube (always helps my assembly lube stick to the camshafts, lifters and the rest of the valve train better).
Vasoline (for priming the oil pump gears).

#10 ·
I had an entire set of DO88se hoses on my black Viggen... I cannot justify spending three hundred or more dollars on coolant hoses when I got all these for under forty bucks...

I think that you want me to buy them since I am probably selling the car shortly after finishing it hahaha.

#14 ·
According to the previous owner, yes, it does have a Qauife LSD. He even showed me receipts of Pearce European AND Japanese doing the work! I know they specialize and are very passionate about SPG's. But I will know for sure when I get it all out of the car and apart!

I will be taking many, many pictures. I am documenting the entire build, for learning purposes and just to have in case anything goes wrong in the future I can see what I did and did not do... And, of course to show people :).

#16 ·
I am documenting the entire process!

I got the engine and transmission assembly out today. It was a HACK job to say the least. Someone put a b235e in this car... It is missing bolts, has the wrong bolts, everything is either loose or way over torqued, it was missing a c-clip on one of the axles... Just a total nightmare, no wonder it blew up!

I got the transmission and engine separated. got all the engine accessories, brackets and whatnot off and apart. I got to start cleaning, too!

Here are some pictures!

Yes, I do have a lift in my backyard... Lol.

And the carnage! Hole through the engine block! Well, more like an oval, also a gash through the oil pan, anyone need part of a piston?! :signs053:

My pops showed me something I did not know today, too. Apparently the idler pulleys and tensioner pulley bearings are re-greasable. I took them apart, cleaned them very well and greased them with Maxima water proof grease, have used it for years on my motorcycles with great results!

Some clean parts!

#17 ·
*Update* for anyone that cares or is interested. Got some boring parts today! But, I also ordered my clutch and Pistons as well last night, after having the cylinder bores pressure checked and after measuring them I have decided to remain at the stock bore. The taper was max of .0003" and was only worn .0006" over stock bore. That is fine due to Wossner recommended a slightly enlarged bore for what purposes I am building the engine for ;). It will be honed to the correct RA when they arrive, then everything is getting weight matched, balanced and a final check.

Some parts that arrived today! Axle boot kits. Crankshaft position sensor as my other got destroyed from the trigger wheel bending and annihilating it. Oil pressure switch. Lower expansion tank hose. Injector o-rings and throttle body upper o-ring. Exhaust hangers. And a Viggen intermediate shaft and bracket. Do not ask why -___-.

#18 ·
*Another update*

Tonight I was able to clean my filthy engine bay as well as my subframe. When the engine let go all of its oil went all over the place. I got to use my new pressure washer and it was well worth the investment!

Got my new control arms in, stanchion arm bushings (not too fun to press in and out), tie rod ends, sway bar links and sway bar bushings.

Here are some pictures of old compared to new. I also polished up the stanchion arms before I fit the new bushings in.

Wossner slugs should be here in one month~, clutch is on its way as well as my ARP main studs!

#21 ·
Yeah, Ben! I thought they were shelved waiting to go. But according to Wossner's email they said they are made per order cause the 234 has less demand for them, go figure!

Tons of parts came today! SUPER stoked for this to finally be coming together.
I have a few things that need to be fabricated, turbo oil return line and intake manifold. But otherwise just waiting on pistons to do machine work.

Manifold arrived, nice and ceramic coated, as promised!

Three inch turbo to the tips exhaust, all V-band connections. A Krona one off piece I believe (correct me if I am wrong). Man those welds are so sexy :hitit:

Down pipe is Nicks top-mount variant.

The GT3071r itself, compressor housing, as well as the exhaust housings both ceramic coated!

Some constant torque clamps.

Siemens Deka 875cc 80lb/hr fuel injectors.

Annnnnnnd, finally... My Spec stage three plus clutch disc and pressure plate arrived today!

#23 ·
Wow...nice build!!...

A couple of q's: why not the GTX3071/.86, with its much higher top end? You have all the mods to support it, and then some.

and...the previous owner installed an LSD, but kept all the suspension bushings stock? That's mind boggling....

Love seeing this come together....

#25 · (Edited)
Mike, I went with this turbo because number one I got it for around $500 with all the coatings... And reason two being that this turbo will give me the power I intend to be making. If I get bored I can always upgrade ;).

About the qauife! Apparently he lied to me, no big deal. It is after all the game we play. I want to get the car running and driving asap. So I will probably get a spare 9-3 case and put the 9-5 case guts into it and order an LSD and throw it in, too. In a few months to have as a spare :). That is if I keep the car that long...

Bergie, it is my father and I's Chump car series race car. Fully gutted interior. 12 point rollcage, etc...

#26 ·
Mike, I went with this turbo because number one I got it for around $500 with all the coatings... And reason two being that this turbo will give me the power I intend to be making. If I get bored I can always upgrade ;).

About the qauife! Apparently he lied to me, no big deal. It is after all the game we play. I want to get the car running and driving asap. So I will probably get a spare 9-3 case and put the 9-5 case guts into it and order an LSD and throw it in, too. In a few months to have as a spare :). That is if I keep the car that long...

Bergie, it is my father and I's Chump car series race car. Fully gutted interior. 12 point rollcage, etc...
This wasn't a guy in SoCal, was it?

#30 ·
I have been Over to see the amazing progress on this fine project in person! I don't think there is anyone on the west coast who can build a Viggen to this high a level! Very impressive.

We will have to see whose car gets on the road first.......:)
Hey, I see you made an account, Justin! Hahaha, thank you for the flattering words. I plan on heading over to your place soon to sort out the electrical gremlins that haunt your car, maybe tomorrow or Sunday? I am fabricating an oil return for the turbo tomorrow, but that is about it...

#31 ·
Got a lot done today! Pulled ECU out, dropped off the exhaust, re wired some small things, remade the engine wire harness, cleaned a bunch and started working on this...

Got frustrated while practicing my TIG welding and took a break. I really suck at it, so it looks like I may have to pay someone to weld this darn thing together. Anyone have any recommendations? Do not want to spend too much on this... Lol.

My t7/t5 hybrid intake manifold.

#34 · (Edited)
Because the t7 head would require to put my t5 valve guides into it. I already had a spare t5 head so it's cheaper (hopefully -___-)... The t7 head really only flows better because of the valves in it haha. The valve stems are much smaller... Plus I already had up rated valve springs for a t5 head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.