cure for Viggen torque steer? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
SAABeginner

cure for Viggen torque steer?

I just bought a 2002 Viggen. Even with TCS, it still torque steers badly. The car is bone stock, for now, with 130k on the odo. Is there anything that'll make it stop trying to dislocate my shoulder when I mash the pedal? I already plan on lowering it as the rear springs are cracked, and am pretty sure that will help. It's only manifested when I, a 30 year old man, try to impress my 11 year old nephew. So the obvious answer is to drive like an adult, but seeing as that's not gonna happen I think I need tips on modding the suspension/steering.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
search viggen rescue kit or torque brace
Parts for Saabs: NG900 97'-98' & 9-3 98'-02' Rack Clamp & Brace (LHD) gets cheaper when you put it into your cart since the US doesn't have VAT like the UK does

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Got it, thanks. That's kinda weird that the problem can be alleviated with a $100 part, and 30 minutes of install time. Thanks Saab.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
gdc
SAAB Road Master

Genuine Saab makes one aswell , slight bend in the bar makes it a little better in my opinion and the pfs one makes a bit of a pressure on the clamp itself and they make you bore out a hole on the fender wall , why not just make it a smaller bolt to fit the hole that is already there ,but it does work and is about 100 dollars less than the Genuine Saab one
Old 10-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
torque steer can be amplified by worn out suspencion parts, Check bushings, ball joints, ect ect
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

They all torque steer..

The steering brace helps..
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
torque steer can be amplified by worn out suspencion parts, Check bushings, ball joints, ect ect
Yeah, the bushings, and joints are #1 or 2 on my to do list. Right behind changing oil, flushing the radiator, and any other maitainance stuff. This thing was NOT a daily driver for the last guy. So I figure something must be worn out. I knew TS would be there, this seems a touch extreme.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

QUAIFEUSE.com

or just do it right the first time and Install a quaife... no need for braces and lowering springs.

that little brace only helps a little... same with thicker roll bars, poly, and stiff springs. after all that it will still TQ steer.

then again if the car isnt at 100% id start fixing what is already broken.

Last edited by LordScania; 10-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

I'd be down with the LSD if I was never intending to see snow or ice again...

Wheel hop is no joke.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I feel some torque steer still after installing the brace, but it definitely helped. Unequal length axles will have that always.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
Unequal length axles will have that always.
That's it right there.

I have Quaife LSD, Viggen rescue kit, 6-point brace, poly bushings all the way around, Koni shocks with Eibach progressive springs, larger front ARB from an SE, good ball joints...pretty much everything you can do short of the Sellholm arms, and there's still really bad torque steer (≈350 wheel HP).

If you want to make it more manageable don't increase engine power, learn to just steer it in the direction that you want it to go, and start hitting the gym to focus-on triceps and shoulders lol. You can make it better but it's always going to do it unfortunately.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Wheels and tires also make a huge difference. Unfortunately, wide wheels, low offset, and performance tires are all bad for tramlining and torque steer. My Viggen with 35 mm offset BBS RK1 and summer tires is kind of a handful. Same exact everything but with 49 mm offset wheels and narrow tall winter tires, it's totally gone. The car corners poorly and looks worse but no torque steer at all.

Basically, the low offset wheels move the contact patch of the tire way outside the center of rotation of the strut, causing torque steer whenever the 2 sides don't have exactly equal traction. I love summer rims and tires but like everything they are a compromise.

Also, a lot of reports are that a LSD - which moves power to the wheel with more traction and thus increases the difference in traction between the front wheels - can actually make torque steer worse. But that's just my internet research, I have no direct back to back experience with and without a LSD on the same car with the same suspension, tires, wheels, etc.

x. 3 on the maintenance, bushings, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in