Viggen on dyno? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Viggen on dyno?

I recently bought a Viggen, but because it was from a dealership they couldn't really tell me much about it. After digging through it a bit I found it had a JZW Stage 4 tune with all the necessary bits for that tune, I also meet a guy who recognized the car and told me the engine had been rebuilt, but wasn't sure if it had been done with forged pistons, I don't see anything engraved on the cylinder heads like on my other Saab 9-3 so I believe they may be forged. I decided to put it on the dyno during an open session to see how much power it put down and was rather disappointed by the results, 215whp and 253wtq. The ABS system did throw a fit when they started rolling just the front wheels which I assume may be part of the problem, it does hold boost well, around 20psi. Is there anything I should check that could be robbing my power and around how much should it be putting out?

Last edited by micrors4; 10-07-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

20psi and the same or less power than a stock Viggen on the dyno, that's very odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

ive seen this car around on craigslist. i believe previous owner was on tsl a few times too.

Could be a combination of a lot of things.. i belive that car is on the higher mileage side no ?

give mike d a call he'd figure it out for you hes local. Mike D Tuning | Saab Trionic Tuning

does it have the original 2.3 in it ?? and what is telling you its running 20psi..?

Last edited by bergie; 10-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
same power more tq here on a very mild stage 1 tune and 100% stock hardware @ 14 PSI. Something is up... but could be LOTS of things.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Elder

Well, for starters Saab never made any white Viggens (not that it doesn't look good). What's the VIN?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Well, for starters Saab never made any white Viggens (not that it doesn't look good). What's the VIN?
white? Looks silver to me
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Elder

Yeah I dunno, looks white on my phone and this monitor, can't tell for sure. I know there's at least one white one running around that was put together.

Either way, the new owner should disconnect the BPC connection that comes from the compressor housing, disconnect the BPC line that goes to the wastegate actuator, and plug the line from the compressor port directly into the wastegate port. That'll show what the baseboost is really; betcha it runs nearly the same.

The dyno graph and description looks to me like a stock 15T running on screwed down baseboost.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
SAABeginner

It is silver, and definitely a Viggen. I'm unsure if the motor is completely original, the pistons don't have the engraving on the tops of them and someone who recognized the car told me the motor was rebuilt at some point although he wasn't sure if they were forged or not. It does have a lot of miles, around 165K, but it still holds 20psi of boost easily at full throttle. When I first got it I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridiums when it was dyno'd but I got a CEL for a misfire occasionally so I swapped the plugs for some cheaper copper NGK ones and that seems to have solved the CEL. I'll probably just bring it to Mike D and get a newer tune for it anyways as he is pretty close to me.

I did find this old thread by doing a bit of searching, but it looks like it had another owner before it got to me.

2000 93 viggen jzw stg 4 - SaabCentral Forums
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
Elder

so does the car still have the hardware mentioned in that ad? The 3" DP? The 3.5 FPR? And as asked earlier, do you have a real boost gauge showing the 20 PSI you say, or are you just going by what the seller told you and the alleged tune it has?

FWIW when I dynoed my wagon it was with ~150k on it

As everyone always says, I would definitely make sure the car is 100% stage 0 before worrying about anything beyond that.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Elder

Well, it's not holding 20psi very long by the look of that dyno. My old B205 SE put down more HP than that bone stock.

You came here for help, take 5 minutes and try doing what I wrote, bypassing the bpc to check baseboost. I think you'll find that it runs pretty much the same. If you have a boost gauge or open SID take a video comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post
It is silver, and definitely a Viggen. I'm unsure if the motor is completely original, the pistons don't have the engraving on the tops of them and someone who recognized the car told me the motor was rebuilt at some point although he wasn't sure if they were forged or not. It does have a lot of miles, around 165K, but it still holds 20psi of boost easily at full throttle. When I first got it I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridiums when it was dyno'd but I got a CEL for a misfire occasionally so I swapped the plugs for some cheaper copper NGK ones and that seems to have solved the CEL. I'll probably just bring it to Mike D and get a newer tune for it anyways as he is pretty close to me.

I did find this old thread by doing a bit of searching, but it looks like it had another owner before it got to me.

2000 93 viggen jzw stg 4 - SaabCentral Forums
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
First off, that's a Mustang Dyno, so I would say 230whp 265tq on a Dynojet-which indicates hardware, but perhaps no longer an ecu tune.

I would check if you have the stock FPR in there too, this car sounds like it's just not set up right. So you might have stage4 hardware including a 3.5FPR, but a stock tune. No good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
First off, that's a Mustang Dyno, so I would say 230whp 265tq on a Dynojet-which indicates hardware, but perhaps no longer an ecu tune.

I would check if you have the stock FPR in there too, this car sounds like it's just not set up right. So you might have stage4 hardware including a 3.5FPR, but a stock tune. No good.
...or, screwed down baseboost only lol.

Does the open SID (as shown in pic) work or not?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
...or, screwed down baseboost only lol.

Does the open SID (as shown in pic) work or not?
Yeah, I remember I had a base boost issue at one time. I think the wastegate rod was stripped or something, I forget(it's nearing 10 years ago). Once fixed I picking up a good amount of missing power.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
SAABeginner

The Open SID is working, and I am fairly confident it is on stage 4 and from what I can see has all the necessary supporting mods to run it.

Pictures of the ECU:

I also tried the BPC test today and it was pretty interesting, I noticed the previous owner had removed the top hose from the BPC and plugged it with a screw, not sure what that is about though. I'll try to get a video of the boost gauge up tomorrow with the lines connected up correctly.

Video of the BPC test:

Last edited by micrors4; 10-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
Elder

um, you did it wrong. You were supposed to hook the WG actuator up to the compressor to check for base boost, not disconnect the WG altogether. 30+ PSI on what sounds like a stock block is bad bad news. You're lucky nothing went boom.

And the screw in the top hose to the BPC is referred to as the "bolt mod" as a means to bypass faulty check valves. Fairly common.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Alright, got the lines mixed up when I was trying to figure out what the bolt was for. I tried it this morning with everything properly hooked up and it held 10psi.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

This car used to be on TSL, i remember the owner taking the vinyl off the pillars and me loving it, and now I hate it.

Anyways something is up here, those numbers just aren't right. Have you done a compression test? Should have a fellow saab'er check out the boost lines to see what is up.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
SAABeginner

I haven't tried a compression test, I plan to replace all the lines and tubes with silicone and replace the MAF and DIC, then I will bring it to Mike D and get it re-tuned.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Elder

The base boost looks good, that's about where I'd put it anyway. So hmm.

Is it misfiring or doing anything weird under load as the rpm's increase? Happen to have a wide band afr setup installed?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Does if feel slow? I mean the dyno people could have messed up the set-up/reading. I had my auto stage 4+ dynoed once and they said it had less power than a stock 9-3 level. My ass dyno knows that's not true as I have another saab at stockish levels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in