9-3 steering brace- need some opinions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
SAABeginner

9-3 steering brace- need some opinions

I've got a 9-3 that has new strut inserts, ball joints, GS poly bushings and new stock stanchion bushings.

Despite decent ride, I've got a strange "floaty center" feeling at highway speeds. It seems to gently wander side to side.

Alignment was corrected (with toe) after my front end work was completed.

Does any of this sound familiar? Has anyone experienced/resolved this? Does the GS brace resolve issues like this?

I can't see much movement in the rack.

Shout out any ideas!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
What kind of tires do you have? Size? Brand? Model?
What kind of shape are they in?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
TSLMember

I know you've stated that the alignment is correct but the symptoms you're describing are are classic to inadequate toe in.

I've installed a rack brace on my 99 Coupe, it appears (wishful thinking??) to have sharpened the steering feel but does nothing to alter the rest of the steering.

Might be worth the effort to use a tape measure to check your toe in, you can get surprisingly close measurements using the sipes parallel to the tire rotation.

If your steering wheel is centered, just make identical (but small) adjustments to each tie rod adjuster. Remember, the adjusters are sided, they rotate in opposite directs to make similar in/out adjustments.

If the measurements look good, it's possible the inner tie rod bushings or outer rod ends are worn but those causes are usually checked for by most alignment techs before putting any wrenches on a suspension.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
SAABeginner

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1380479266.128946.jpg

I've attached my alignment print off. What front toe values should I aim for?

Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsaabster View Post
Attachment 16154

I've attached my alignment print off. What front toe values should I aim for?

While the numbers are within spec, the toe is near the minimum allowed, particularly on the right and that might account for the wander.

.30 total toe in works out to right at 1/8" difference between the front of the tires and the rears. I think I'd add a bit of toe to the front right tire, maybe a single flat of the right adjuster.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
What kind of tires do you have? Size? Brand? Model?
What kind of shape are they in?
This, check your tires and all bushings, was car in a wreck, ever?
I run zero toe on my viggen and another car, does not wander at all, sure it wants to go where the grooves are at times, but they do not have a floaty feeling.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Elder

Do you already have a steering rack brace installed by any chance?

If the cut on an aftermarket rack brace is a little small and the brace is tightened good and snug it's possible to put a kink into the rack tube, or maybe just press in slightly. Then you feel a small bump sort of when the cylinder is in that spot, which makes it feel floaty because it takes a little extra effort to get off that bump. Long shot, hope that's not it, those racks suck to change out, ask how I know lol

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 10-01-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Where do you live, this isn't a right hand drive car is it as the firewall can crack?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

You didn't mention the miles... but I'd be thinking outer tie rods - although as Wink mentioned,the alignment tech should check those. Might be worth replacing them and the inner bushings if you have over 70K miles.

If your tires are worn or have a more performance oriented tread, they can follow the road a bit, although you tend to feel that more at lower speeds on roads with ruts and defects. Tire inflation can help with wander issues but won't cure them if it's the tires.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I added some toe-in to both front wheels and the car now has MUCH improved road handling. I really wouldn't have believed the difference would be so great. The car even feels less "rolly poley" in cloverleaf entrance ramps and cornering.

What I have done: (to answer your questions and possibly help those who come accross this thread)

Tires are Yokohama yk580 with excellent tread
Car has never been crashed
LHD, no firewall cracking
Inner tie bushings are refreshed to the Moog purple/violet ones
GS control arm bushings / recent stanchion bushing refresh with stock one
Outer tie links were refreshed about 1 year ago
Recent ball joint refresh (I say buy cheap & insert poly - replace more often)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in