name this connector - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

name this connector

In my 1997 ng900, I've been connecting the can-usb adapter to the large black connector next to the ECU. I think it's called "diagnostic port" or "factory service port" or some such. It's really hard to find any documentation about stuff like this.

For like 2 years I've been making do with that rudimentary wiring harness I made, plus some tape and hot glue, so the car now exposes a db9-style port there that the can-usb can plug right into. It works, but it's fragile and I'm worried that someday this will rip loose at the wrong time and brick something.

What I want to do is make a project box that plugs into the mystery harness with the correct snap-in connector, and has db9 on the other side. Basically the same thing in the picture but compact and robust. In order to do that, I need to find out more about that connector, specifically where to get one of the opposite gender.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Grab the part number of the pin housing then search for it in EPC. Hopefully you come up with a match which also shows what component may use it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Elder

Buy a 3' DB9 cable, cut it in half, pin it out, skin back the insulation on the harness wires and solder it in. That's easier and more reliable with less connections.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Elder

If you dont want to cut into the harness, grab a seat heater switch and pull it apart. I think the base (male) connector of those switches are the same type of connector at that test diag port.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Buy a 3' DB9 cable, cut it in half, pin it out, skin back the insulation on the harness wires and solder it in. That's easier and more reliable with less connections.
This is a good suggestion. Suggested to me by the same person several years ago

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in