99 9-3 differential - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
SAABeginner

99 9-3 differential

Hey guys i was just wondering if I could get any input on what would be the best differential to put into my 9-3? The one that is currently in there seems like its missing a tooth on the spider gear. For the most part its fine in a straight line, but when turning it pops pretty loud and feels like something is skipping. Also when you jack off front end up n span one wheel by hand you getting resistance as normal but then there's a spot where the resistance ops for part of the rotation. Both CVs feel good so I'm pretty confident that it is the difference lol. I'm on a pretty tight budget but I need to get something that's capable of holding 300 to 350 horse safely. Thanks in advance for any help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjohnson_90 View Post
Also when you jack off.
ummm ya we wont talk about when i jack off

sounds like you have an axle issue, not a diff issue

i have ran well over 400WHP on a stock diff with no issue

but if you wanna spend money on a diff you might as well buy an quaife LSD for about a grand ($1000)

it will be cheaper for you to replace the whole trans with a used one than to replace just the diff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating

Last edited by grkguy89; 09-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hmm......clearly my voice recognition entry on my phone got the best of me there....sorry about that. Haha!

Anywho.....how could it be an axle problem if its fine when the tires spin the same speed but if they spin at different speeds the skipping problem occurs?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Have you checked your CV joints?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
SAABeginner

I rolled under the car and turned the shafts by hand and checked the ends for tightness and everything seemed to be in good order. Are CVs common to fail on these cars compared to differential problems?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

you need to turn the wheel all the way and check for the slightest bind while spinning the wheel

pops on turns is the definition of a cv axle going bad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #7

Yes, CV failures happen to these and all FWD cars. They are most noticeable, as said above, when the wheel is turned fully over to the lock.

How many miles?
Are all the CV boots intact - no minor tears or signs of grease coming out?

If you drive the car and notice the popping when the wheel is turned, you have a bad CV.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
SAABeginner

I will be able to check it again this weekend as the car is at my parents house, but like I said, with the front end off the ground, wheels straight, if you spin one wheel, and the other spins the opposite way. everything feels normal except there is one small spot where there is no resistance and the other wheel stops spinning.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #9

That sounds normal to me.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
SAABeginner

It was for sure the diff. It blew all to pieces today and took the case out with it. Are there any good alternatives or just find a used stock trans and let it rip?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Look for a low miles 01-02 trans, new clutch, pp and slave if its original just because of where its at.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
SAABeginner

What's the difference between 99 trans and 01-02 trans? As far as the clutch and such goes, I'm quite sure its not stock. Car currently has 108k miles on it and is running around 300hp so I think a stock clutch would have bit the dust a while ago. But I will certainly inspect them while I'm in there.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Gearing is slightly different, the rear trans bracket is different as well (so make sure it comes with the newer trans)
An improvement is a slightly stronger gearset/components on the later models
As far as clutch, resurface your flywheel (no more than $50) and get a viggen clutch kit and break it in over 500 or so miles

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Oh Gotchya. That's cool. Is the differential any stronger? Ill check out the clutch that's on it. If I've been told the truth, it doesn't have many miles on it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
SAABeginner

What is the difference between regular 9-3 and viggen trans?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjohnson_90 View Post
What is the difference between regular 9-3 and viggen trans?
Has a 9-5 differential which would require different half shafts, intermediate shaft and clearencing the knuckles/viggen knuckles and viggen abs brackets.

Or frankestein half shafts with 9-5 inners and OG9-3 outters.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #17
SAABeginner

Alrighty.....so do the 9-5 inners swap straight onto 9-3 half shafts? Or do they require some fable work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in