Not making "full" boost - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM  
Avid TSL User

Send a message via Skype™ to Tap804
Not making "full" boost

Now, for starters its a JZW stg 4, 2.0 td04 swapped 900 still w/ t5 bpc and helper spring

Problem.
Driving car, in third around say 2500 then hard throttle, ill see 15psi and then the wastegate hits. which is odd because i've seen peak 20 no problem same situation. now it stops at 15. A more recent problem is scary LOW AFR reading, and im talking 13s and 12s and occasional 11s afr bung is post cat, but even then i feel they are low numbers even to be behind a highflow cat...

Would it hurt to swap the primary 02 with the high flow? keep in mind its a 95 so i only have the one 02

since gas has been on the high around me ive been driving like a grandma and today was the first time i let into it... old guy in a z31 asked how much boost i was running, we had some fun... scared his wife a bit

Also, recently i swapped fuel filters with a Wix filter, fought those leaking banjos for a day, checked those, no excess fuel around the banjos or the lines, checked the fuel rail and the injectors, nothing leaking there.
i have about 1/4 tank

Took the helper spring off and in second it was at 12 psi and in third held a good 15 as well.

ive also been driving with the cone filter off because i average about 3mpg more so i popped that back on along with the pvc hose from the catch can and that provided no change.

So, i'm looking for possible causes and woes, fuel pump primes every time, car cranks no problem but i'm still thinking it could be the pump? with it being stg four i know its close to maxing out basically everything fuel wise.

thanks for any advice.
tp
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
First most, your AFR reading should be PRE-cat. Second, JZW mailbox tunes are a little more conservative with the AFR. ~12 is not too bad at all. Running a little rich keeps temps down and errors on the safe side. If you were seeing ~16, that would be leaning out and lead to detonation. (keep in mind stoichiometric is 14:1, the lower the number the more rich it's running.)

For a stage 4 car, you should be seeing closer to 20-25 psi. I bet your wastegate still isn't up to load. If your BPC was bad, then you would be seeing boost spikes and probably hitting fuel cut.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 PM  
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
What wideband and are you running? Most have a narrowband output you can hook up to the ecu thereby allowing you to move the wide band pre cat and eliminate the stock narrowband.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 AM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks9-3 View Post
First most, your AFR reading should be PRE-cat. Second, JZW mailbox tunes are a little more conservative with the AFR. ~12 is not too bad at all. Running a little rich keeps temps down and errors on the safe side. If you were seeing ~16, that would be leaning out and lead to detonation. (keep in mind stoichiometric is 14:1, the lower the number the more rich it's running.)

For a stage 4 car, you should be seeing closer to 20-25 psi. I bet your wastegate still isn't up to load. If your BPC was bad, then you would be seeing boost spikes and probably hitting fuel cut.
I have never.. ever seen 25, maybe 22 at most, do you think an upgraded waste gate spring is in order? (upgraded to factory) it would make sense... but even then idk how the turbo is going to handle it, without spinning into oblivion.
I have a t7 bpc, but I don't exactly have the knowledge or equipment to make the hardware and software changes and don't really think the 35 bucks to mail it to john is entirely worth it...
I know pre cat is ideal, but after dropping 270 bucks on a pro-comp auto meter afr the unused post cat bung was in the budget, and i thought stoich was 14.7:1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
What wideband and are you running? Most have a narrowband output you can hook up to the ecu thereby allowing you to move the wide band pre cat and eliminate the stock narrowband.
Pro-comp auto meter its nice i actually like it. and how exactly do you wire this in?

Last edited by Tap804; 08-25-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: learning how to use multi quote haha
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM  
Elder

Driving with no air filter is a bad idea.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Driving with no air filter is a bad idea.
This, x1000.

Guys do this on the track all the time, but they tear down their engines after every couple of runs.

Tap, if your cone filter is that much of a restriction then you may need to clean it more frequently, or go back to the stock paper filter.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
This, x1000.

Guys do this on the track all the time, but they tear down their engines after every couple of runs.

Tap, if your cone filter is that much of a restriction then you may need to clean it more frequently, or go back to the stock paper filter.
i mis spoke, yes the filter was off, but it was elevated and a screen was over the elbow, I put the paper filter back on, and i do need a need a new cone filter, its beyond being cleaned.

back on topic

I swapped out helper springs. It helps, but still doesn't hold boost. It's up to 20 in second and then falls, and only sticks around 15 in third. Fourth is the same. The fuel is definitely there, had a friend drive behind me and he said he could smell it.

not going to do pulls tomorrow on the way to class, though it will be tough with the cooler weather. I need to rig up the pvc system because the stock air box is a different setup from my cone filter.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM  
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What oct gas are you running, and what ic?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
What oct gas are you running, and what ic?
I try and stay consistant with 93 oct but will never go lower than 89.
The ic i have is a forge motorsport
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap804 View Post
I try and stay consistant with 93 oct but will never go lower than 89.
The ic i have is a forge motorsport
IIRC, your tune REQUIRES 93.

Check with John. I'd bet the tune is pulling boost to save you from yourself.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM  
Avid TSL User

Fair enough, that's more than likely what it is. I know shell 89 is what is in it now.

What do most people run for fuel? brand wise.. I stay fairly consistent with shell..

I appreciate every ones help.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM  

Octane rating is more important than brand. Cases of "bad gas" are few and far between, especially if you're gassing up at stations that are pretty busy.

I don't know where you are but if it has been hot and humid, even untuned cars can benefit from higher octane to reduce pinging. It's a necessity with tuned cars.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
IIRC, your tune REQUIRES 93.

Check with John. I'd bet the tune is pulling boost to save you from yourself.
Quote:
Fair enough, that's more than likely what it is. I know shell 89 is what is in it now.

What do most people run for fuel? brand wise.. I stay fairly consistent with shell..

93+ or bust.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM  
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:

Quote:
Octane rating is more important than brand. Cases of "bad gas" are few and far between, especially if you're gassing up at stations that are pretty busy.

I don't know where you are but if it has been hot and humid, even untuned cars can benefit from higher octane to reduce pinging. It's a necessity with tuned cars.
i stay clear of shell stations in my area
the do a promo on tues here where they drop 93 down $0.20
tested the fuel and it had 22% ethanol (contains 10% my ass)
my car could barely cruise at light throttle and econ dropped 6mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
i stay clear of shell stations in my area
the do a promo on tues here where they drop 93 down $0.20
tested the fuel and it had 22% ethanol (contains 10% my ass)
my car could barely cruise at light throttle and econ dropped 6mpg
That may be an anomaly. I have never had an issue with shell, in fact last time I put shell in my Cooper, econ went up almost a full 2mpg.

Shell is a top-teir gas according to the registry and has some of the most additives in the top-teir.

You did a test however, and I like hard numbers. There is no Shell near me so I am forced to use Mobil or Sunoco. No top-teir gas stations are within 20 miles of my house.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM  
Avid TSL User

Cleaned the BPC and added 93, I can already notice a huge improvement from just cleaning the bpc.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 AM  

Also check for boost leaks. When under WOT, the computer will still request the that much fuel, but if there's a leak in the system you'll run rich. Do you have a boost leak tester?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM  
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
Also check for boost leaks. When under WOT, the computer will still request the that much fuel, but if there's a leak in the system you'll run rich. Do you have a boost leak tester?
I do not, but i'm sure I could make one out of pvc and a bike tire valve.. but idk any way to add smoke to the system to easily identify leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in