Best Exhaust System - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
non
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to non
Best Exhaust System

performance, looks, sound.... what is the absolute best exhaust?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
I believe one of the best is the JT 3" Catback system. Of course I don't have one, but Genuine Saab as them for a good price.

http://genuinesaab.com/search_result...rch=fromSearch
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Hey, I got the turbo back JT 3" exhaust. I like it a lot for the sound. Its not loud at idle but at full throttle it gives a nice tough turbo sound.

Though the look of the exhaust is not the best looking, its just like regular exhaust piping color(not chrome or black) and it doesn't come with a tip.
I spray painted mine black, just because i don't like to have it noticed.

And i did fell a power gain when i first put it on with just the exhaust and intake, but now with more mods, i fell a much better gain in hp, also the note of the exhaust got a little louder at full throttle

Old 11-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

I have the saab 9-3 stainless steel sport exhaust which gives a 7-10 hp gain I really love the sound as well when the turbo kicks in it really comes to life but is not an excessive loud it has a nice krisp sound to it i have had alot of complements on the sound as well and it fits up nicely under the car and comes with a couple differnt tips
Old 11-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
non
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to non
thx for the fast feedback everyone!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
If i were you i would just go to an exhaust shop and have one fabricated. It should cost less and u can make it sound however you want. I got the BSR 2.5'' catback and its nice but i wanted a little more sound....it basically sounds stock till 4k rpm. I dont like it extremely loud but i want a nice tone at idle. i dont think it was worth the 10 - 15 claimed hp or whatever it is for the price. The T7 doesnt let you gain peak power, it only lets u have gains over the powerband.....thats why u need to get an exhaust intake and chip all at once.....just my 2 cents, Will
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Old 11-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
What muffler would work best with a custom 3" cat back?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
Im not sure, i forget which kind but some are better than others for turbo application. It totally depends on the shop you go to as well. You should ask around and see what people have used on their setups, im sure some people with saabs have used various kinds of mufflers. I do know SaabSavior uses MagnaFlow. Im sure anything would work well, just find people who have them.
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Old 11-18-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Hey, here is a picture of my JT 3" exhaust. I painted it black because i like the way it looks better.

If you want to do a custom setup. I suggest using a round muffler. Here is an example, not really a good picture, but you get the idea. I know magnaflow sells a 3" inlet and outlet chrome muffler, then you have to extend the tip out. This way would cost you less money
Old 12-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i went for SpeedParts catback exhaust from Taliaferro and it sounds increadible!! i am soon adding the JT 3" downpipe...cant wait to hear that!
Old 12-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #11
TSLMember

Re: Best Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by non
.... what is the absolute best exhaust?
The best exhaust is the one that has a big 3" downpipe. The effect of a big downpipe is very much underestimated.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to marka Send a message via MSN to marka Send a message via Yahoo to marka
I had a full 3'' system on my 9000... it's an excellent, good value system - nice sound good performance. The tail pipe looks nice on the 9000, but horrible on the ng900.

On my 9-3 I've got the viggen backbox, which is actually the "European Saab sports exhaust"- made by Remus in Germany - thats the thick oval one with the stainless steel trim...

I've heard the " USA Saab Sports Exhaust" (available from dealers and most saab aftermarket people), and with a race cat on there.. it sounds awesome! - thats the more circular looking single tail pipe with 'SAAB' imprinted on it.

MY1995 Audi / Porsche RS2 Quattro Avant. Eibachs, Sachs Dampers, 322mm Porsche 993TT 4pots, Hyperboost diverter. Currently stock : 315HP, 410NM Torque.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:25 AM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka
...looks nice on the 9000, but horrible on the ng900.
You're right about that!
A custom exhaust shop can make you a cleaner looking endtip though.

Here's a picture of the 3"JT on a NG900.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:43 AM   #14
Elder

Custom

You could always go with the custom exhaust setup. As of now, I just have an aftermarket performance muffler on there, but it sounds great! Not too ricey, perfect deep moan groan that I love. Installation was a pain, and still needs work, I am currently just using a hanging strap, since welding exhaust mufflers is illegal in PA. Atleast that's what every dealership has told me, and some of my mechanic friends. I think I might just get a welder to weld two handles on the muffler, so I can use the existing hanger hooks. Check it out:

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a round muffler for custom setups, since the hooks under the car will make the muffler sit further down and will look pretty bad. My muffler is an oval muffler, and it sits nicely up in the bumper (see below). I dunno what I will do when it comes time to get the body kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
in for updates.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
updates 6 years late...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
dude how do you find all these old topics (jamesons welcome and that)?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

I have the saab sport 2.5" with the GS 3" DP. It sounds great, but to be honest if I were to do it again I would just have a custom one set up for me and do a full 3"

I may even want to sell the one I have now so PM me if you're interseted. To be clear Im not sure I want to sell it, Im just thinking about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
^ i have potential buyers for the DP if thats what you're willing to sell.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Elder

3" JSP stainless exhaust, turbo back. This is my favorite exhaust out of all that I have heard so far, hence it is on my car

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in