Trans swap questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
TSLMember

Trans swap questions

hey guys, I am in the midst of a complete build. My goal is to build my dream vert. They way it should have came from the factory.

Anyway I am getting ready for a Trans swap to a manual transmission. And before I spend the 200 for the trans I just want to make sure. Will a transmission from a 2000 9-3 base vert work on my 99 9-3 vert. I heard there can be some fitment issues around the axle seal area. Any hints and tips greatly appreciated. I have read lots of the threads on swaps, some good info. Another question before I pop the trans in, is there any upgrades or things I should replace on the trans before I put it in.

Thanks for any input guys!
out of all the car forums I am on this is with out a doubt my favorite you guys are always so willing to help with out all the internet bull that usually comes along with forums. just wanted everyone to know how much the assistance is appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
TSLMember

So now that I have been looking at transmissions I am even more confused. Is there a trans that is better then the others, Performance wise? Any help in picking a transmission to buy would greatly be appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

should be the same.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
TSLMember

The 2000 trans will fit perfectly into your '99 -- just make sure you get the shift linkage that matches that transmission:

The FM505 (900 and early 9-3) and FM507 (later 9-3) gearboxes use completely different (and not interchangeable) linkage assemblies with different mounting to the transmission.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I believe the shift linkage was updated for the '97 900.

As long as you get a trans from a pre-2003 9-3, you'll be fine.
Even an NG trans would be fine but the ratios are slightly different.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
TSLMember

thanks guys! So get the correct linkage, got it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
srp
Elder

Hopefully you can get the linkage that comes with the trans you are buying. Obviously you'll need the shift rod and shift housing as well if converting to manual. If it's a parts car, grab the front and rear trans mount and brackets, clutch line, pedal/clutch master cylinder and hose to the reservoir.

Not sure, but you'll likely need a manual specific flywheel. Not sure about axle shafts.

As for better years to get...
In mid 2001 Saab updated a bunch of the internal parts of the trans and switched to a newer synthetic fluid.

If you plan on going big power, you could invest in a Quaife LSD.

Resurface the flywheel and find a shop that's willing to take some weight off of it. Throw in a Viggen clutch as opposed to stock if you plan on upping the power.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
TSLMember

Thanks for all the info SRP! I will put it to good use!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Hopefully you can get the linkage that comes with the trans you are buying.

As for better years to get...
In mid 2001 Saab updated a bunch of the internal parts of the trans and switched to a newer synthetic fluid.
Hence the birth of the aforementioned FM55 507 transmission with it's different shift linkage requirements.

The early NG900's had the FM55 503 with it's notoriously weak linkage.

The later NG900's and early 9-3 have the FM55 505 with updated internals and a better linkage that will fit the earlier 503 box.

The last of the 9-3's have the FM55 507 with additional updates, particularly the synchronizers and it's unique (to our model cars) shift linkage.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
srp
Elder

So you are saying there is a different shift linkage for the 503, 505 AND 507 boxes?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
So you are saying there is a different shift linkage for the 503, 505 AND 507 boxes?
Yes
Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
... Interesting... I just grabbed a linkage out of the junk yard, from a 9-3 of unknown year (prior to '03) to update the linkage in my '95 900...

Which is this one... And looks like it's good for all cars from '94 -'02/'03 (convertible only)

4626321 Genuine Saab - Linkage Assembly - Free Shipping

Yes, the older cars ('97 I think was the linkage year change) had a different style linkage, which was then updated to this one...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Do you mean how the linkage meets up on the transmission itself?

The bracket that meets the rear engine mount is usually the big diff.

Also 02 and 03 vert trannys tend to be the stoutest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
TSLMember

So I found 2 Tranny's at my local "u-pull it". One is in a 1999 9-3 SE, and the other was a 97 or 96 900 turbo red top. So if I am understanding correctly the 1999 SE trans is the one I want, correct? And If I can find like a 02 or 03 vert that would be even better?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
srp
Elder

the 99 should suit you fine. It will be very difficult to find an 02/03 vert trans.
As long as its got low miles and its a good price, go for it.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
TSLMember

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in