saab catalytic converter removal model 9-3 2000 turbo - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM  
SAABeginner

saab catalytic converter removal model 9-3 2000 turbo

I have saab 9-3 se 2000 with 2.0 turbo engine. Please let me know if catalytic converter removal will flash check engine light, will it affect engine electronics? Both sensors are located before catalytic converter.
thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 PM  
Elder

Doesn't the 2000 have 2 cats?

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 AM  
SAABeginner

I am pretty sure it just one, located right under oil pan, way too close. It cooks oil, which eventually turns into sludge, sludge clogs sump.
My point is to put straight pipe and wrap it with heat radiant tape, plus maybe gain a few hp, run turbo cooler...?
Also, I was thinking about installing lower temperature thermostat, original 195, to 180..

Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
It has two, a small one at the top where the downpipe connects to the turbo and a larger one by the oil pan. You'll need to trick the ecu o2 signals with a tune if you try to get rid of the cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 AM  
SAABeginner

ok, what if I leave 1st, and get rid of 2nd one, which is right under the oil pan?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM  
SAABeginner

ok, catalytic converter removed, straight pipe put in plus aluminum plate to protect oil pan. so far, after 2 days of driving no check engine light is on. saab has 41000 miles.
here are pictures what I found in oil pan:

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM  
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Are you not in the US?

Over here, we have 2, and one is before the oilpan, and I *think* the other is behind the oilpan.

It's safe to say that your coding is different over there, especially if both O2 sensors are before the catcon.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM  
SAABeginner

canada.
maybe you right, my saab had two catalytic converters, one is angle shape another under oil pan. never thought that 1st one-angled, small one is a cat..
Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezee View Post
I am pretty sure it just one, located right under oil pan, way too close. It cooks oil, which eventually turns into sludge, sludge clogs sump.
My point is to put straight pipe and wrap it with heat radiant tape, plus maybe gain a few hp, run turbo cooler...?
Also, I was thinking about installing lower temperature thermostat, original 195, to 180..
Wrong solution. Clean your pan, install PCV fix #6, change your oil regularly. A lower temp thermostat likely makes your engine less efficient. It will have little effect on the turbo temp since the turbo sits in the hot exhaust stream. Meanwhile you're polluting the air your kids will need to breathe, but what the heck, screw 'em.

You should be looking at a 3" downpipe with a race cat, a tune, and other mods if you want more HP.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM  
SAABeginner

I took out the 2nd cat and I have no check Engine light

Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM  
SAABeginner

let us know a little about your saab: any issues with sludging, how many miles, any special maintenance advice?
by the way, what did you do with 2nd cat, did you sell it to recycling yard?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 AM  
SAABeginner

look at my art...jesus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
catalytic converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in