2001 Viggen 2 door - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

2001 Viggen 2 door

My last few threads have been about cars with roll cages and harnesses. For a change of pace, today I'm writing about a 2001 Viggen 2 door with an intact interior.

I'll get to the "performance modifications" aspect, I just like to start from the beginning.

At the time I was looking for a daily driver for my girlfriend to replace her theft-prone 90's integra, not specifically another viggen or even another saab, and stumbled across this nice looking example. Cosmetically it looked in great shape inside and out. I went to check it out and it was mechanically a little tired and had been in an accident some time in the past and had blown shocks... But, I negotiated a good price and ended up buying it the same day. For myself, sort of, which isn't why I'd been looking, but these things have a way of happening when a car guy starts looking at cars. She ended up driving it most of the time anyways so it worked out just as well.

One of the things that bothered me the most was that the tires rubbed, especially when cornering hard or hitting a dip. It's very low, but it's on koni yellows and blue springs, the same setup a lot of people are using with no problems and the same as I have on my other viggen, so I ruled that out. I next suspected the wheels since it has these BBS-es. I pulled the front two off of each viggen and stacked them next to each other.

You can guess which stack is off of which car.

I really liked the rims so before jumping to conclusions I looked up the numbers and confirmed that they are indeed 7.5 inch wide and should not be the source of the problem. It was about time for new tires anyways. I ended up getting sumitomo htr z2 for a great price, like $89 a tire I think.

They're no star specs, but they are a summer, performance-oriented tire. I think they grip pretty well given how inexpensive they are.

I got to take it on some fun road trips: to the sequoia forest, to some redwoods closer to home, to las vegas motor speedway (to watch global rallycross and see one of the last professional saab race teams left in action), to death valley...

And I took it to the track once. Pictured are my two viggens and my friend's 1999 trionic 5 9-3 in Willows, CA, home of thunderhill raceway park, the night before.

All things considered, I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal with this car. A few expensive things like the t7 motorized throttle broke, as they're known to do, but nothing crazy.

Then last winter I'm at chuckwalla valley raceway (by palm springs) with my team to race the miata, and just as we're about to set out for home (mountain view) the girlfriend calls and says she's stuck in LA with the car because the motor blew up.

F.

One of my teammates and I were in charge of driving his box truck full of the race car and all our spares and crap. We diverted course and went to LA where the busted viggen was at The Swedish Car Clinic in Harbor City. This is a huge, awesome shop, by the way, I really liked them. They showed me on the bore scope that it was carnage inside the cylinders.

I got a u haul and car trailer one way back to mountain view and drove us back. My teammate had to drive the box truck the rest of the way back himself. Everyone was exhausted at the end of this drive.

I got back to my shop and the fun continued. I had to get the saab race car from the other thread out of the shop at a time it was leaking some water from a cracked hard line, and the green 900 with the gold roof was in there too, and then the silver viggen wouldn't come off the trailer. With no engine, I couldn't push it over the built in chocks on the u haul. I had to use hockey pucks and a long piece of pipe to pry the tire back an inch at a time and re-chock it until it finally rolled free.

While I was struggling with this, I remembered I'd left the green 900 idling and started walking over to switch it off. I was halfway there when POP! steam pours out because it overheated and blew a hose. In my sleep-deprived haze I'd forgotten to turn all the electrical stuff on and the EWP hadn't been running. This is what convinced me to wire it directly to the ignition-on so I couldn't ever forget it again.

So I'm standing there in my shop parking lot in the wee hours of the morning with my three broken cars. Starting to feel overwhelmed.

After a few days of recovery, I got the car on the lift and started the long process of tearing it down. I decided to fix anything and everything that was wrong while I was in there, not just the engine.

Along the way one of the subframe bolts got stuck. Then it stripped. Then even the stuck bolt extractor couldn't get it out and the head was totally chewed up. I had to use an angle grinder to cut the flange off the bolt and thereby relieve the tension, and THEN I got it off with a smaller size bolt extractor. It was a mess.

All things considered, I didn't cut the subframe up too bad. It's just superficial scratching.

Got the engine out.

Intake manifold came off and... valve, what are you doing there?

Engine and transmission separated.

Head looks chewed up.

What's wrong, piston? Why so sad?

That brings us to the low point and the end of the teardown. Next up: building back up and the promised "performance modifications"!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

I do a lot of work myself, but I don't do my own engines because my shop is filthy and I don't want to screw up a build by getting grit and filings inside. I took the engine to Swedish Auto Factory in santa clara, who also built my last viggen engine.

They found a new head for me, took it back and forth to their usual machinist, and reassembled it. In the meantime, I put in an order for the rest of the stuff from Taliaferro.

I bought my other viggen when I was 19 and didn't really know what I was doing, and made the typical mistake of throwing power at it first and figuring out the brakes and handling later. This time I'm doing a nice suspension right from the start, and leaving the tune stock. The cylinders need overbored a little just because they were scratched up. I also learned there's such a thing as too much clutch, but the 7.5 lb flywheel and stock viggen pressure plate make a nice streetable combination.

1 x Pistons Forged JE for B235 (JE23set)
Custom Standard Replacement
Options Coated
Size 90.5mm First Over
1 x Aluminum Flywheel For NG900/9-3 (FLYng900)
1 x Performance Intercooler 9-3 900 94-02 ETS (ETS93)
Anodizing No -Bare-
1 x Steering Rod Bushings NG900/93 (4242669U)
1 x Performance Brake Line Kit NG900 94-98 9-3 99-02 (40005)
1 x Custom Clutch Line Ng900/9-3 98-02 | 9-5 99-01 (TFI-02)
Color Clear
2 x Race Strut Mount 9-3 99-02 (StrtRaceMnt9)
Version Stock/ Sport Dampers
1 x Race / Sport Coilover Kit 9-3 99-02 (COIL93)
Package Springs Only
1 x Race Rear Springs NG900/9-3 3d/5d (RRSprings)
Model N1 (Code: Blue/Yellow/Blue)

Also got the short shifter. And I harvested a 3" exhaust downpipe and mid pipe, a 2.5" sport exhaust, and a 6 point subframe brace from a parts car that crossed my path.

Shiny coilover pieces.

Procedure for moving the car around with no front wheels involves furniture dollies, hockey pucks, 2x4 boards, and two floor jacks.

I discovered I had a bad wheel bearing and pressed a new one in. Best to get that out of the way while all these parts are already off the car.

When the coilovers were together, I noticed there was no preload. Nick T said that tender springs are noisy, but I decided to add some in anyways.

The brake and exhaust and bushing and shifter installation were all pretty uneventful, no pictures of those.

Part of why it took a while to get the engine back was that at the end of reassembly, there was an unexpected amount of resistance to turning the crank. It turned out the crank bearings were warped ever so slightly and needed to be overbored as well, and oversized bearing shells installed.

I did get it back eventually of course.

"Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly."

All back together! Sounds good, can't wait for the break-in to be over so I can drive it hard again.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Good write-up!

What brand of coilovers and springs did you purchase?
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Koni yellows and eibach springs. It's the Taliaferro kit.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

breakin proceedure

Whats the breakin proceedure?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Wow that poor valve, and piston. Nice to see you breathing new life into this beautiful car.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

I had a valve drop in a 9-5 aero once, It went completely through the piston and ended up in the oil pan hahaha. Looks good! Hope this engine lass you awhile!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
Whats the breakin proceedure?
I break in with the cheapest conventional oil I can find. This time it's Accel brand 5w30.

No lugging the engine, no going above 4000 rpm, try to never make boost, and try not to spend too long at any fixed rpm. On surface streets this is no problem. Any long highway trips where I have to maintain a fixed speed, I'll shift back and forth between 3/4/5 gear and vary speed as much as I can without annoying other drivers. I hear lots of engine braking (for the high vacuum) helps, but I've never gone out of my way to do more of that than normal.

After 1000 miles, drain the oil and replace with synthetic. Unless it shows any alarming symptoms, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whilhelm View Post
Wow that poor valve, and piston. Nice to see you breathing new life into this beautiful car.
Thanks, appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in