1995 900 S 2.3 NA Exhaust Nightmare!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
SAABeginner

1995 900 S 2.3 NA Exhaust Nightmare!!

I recently purchased a 1995 900 S 2.3 NA 4-door hatchback. The prior owner completely gutted the exhaust system. Basically, everything downstream of the first oxygen sensor was removed and replaced with "custom" cut and welded pipe and a "ricer" muffler. The work was dreadfully sloppy, every weld leaks, and the muffler is inadequate. In short, it sounds awful and it's a pile of tickets waiting to happen.

My plan is to re-construct the stock exhaust system with parts from local junkyards. Looking at the parts diagrams on eEuro and elsewhere, it appears that the intermediate pipe/flex joint and center muffler/resonator pieces from a wide variety of 900's and 9-3's can be used on my car. However, the stock mufflers seem to be specific to each engine type.

Since the diameter of the exhaust pipe will be the same, can I use a muffler from a car with a different engine than I have?

Also, if I can't find a decent used header/cat, any suggestions on how to re-install the second oxygen sensor? I tore into the motor to fix a bunch of problems before I had time to get the CEL codes read, but I'm assuming the CEL will stay on after I put everything under the hood back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image(1).jpeg (180.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg image(2).jpeg (190.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg image(3).jpeg (179.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg image(4).jpeg (161.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (135.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by rmcgill; 06-18-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #2

Mufflers and resonators for turbo cars tend to be more of a "flow through" type to minimize back pressure. Tailpipe noise is usually less of an issue for turbo cars because the turbine wheel breaks up the sound pulses, so the mufflers aren't as restrictive and sound deadening...

You can probably use a stock turbo cat-back setup but the noise level will likely be slightly louder than a stock NA exhaust
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

When I replaced the OE exhaust on my Viggen, I slapped it on my dad's 2.3 900S, sounded pretty good. Slightly louder than stock without droning, and probably a lot of stock viggen catbacks lying around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
TSLMember

When I bought my 900 (same motor as you) most of the exhaust was toast. I bought a new flex/intermediate pipe on ebay for pretty cheap and a BSR Catback system from Genuine Saab. The BSR is very high quality and I installed it in 45 mins with out a lift. I priced out new and used OEM parts and this was the BSR was the best bang for my buck. Very happy with the fit, finish and sound. Not too loud but you hear it when you get on the gas and not ricey at all.

GenuineSaab.com

Let me know if you find any leads on a cheap replacement for the downpipe that contains the cat and 02 sensors since mine is toast. I looked into the header that GS sells but when I talked to Nick?? he told me it was only for race cars. Also said if I ran the header I would need to run premium gas and have a special tune. IDK seems like I caught him in a bad mood... he wasn't very helpful and just rushed me off the phone.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and helpful people here.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Your 95 900 does not have a rear o2 sensor since it is not obd2 equipped. If you find a used frontpipe/cat assembly from a 96-98 900 you'll just need to plug the hole for the rear sensor. also, if you're shopping for used stuff, 94 900 n/a 2.3 had it's own specific manifold and front pipe that won't fit your 95 (unless you do them in pair)

Last edited by seriks1; 06-18-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
SAABeginner

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll hopefully be at the junkyards tomorrow or over the weekend looking for parts. I'll let you all know how it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in