Need new brakes - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
Need new brakes

Alright everyone, I need some help here. I need new brakes, so here is what I know: Cross drilled rotors offer better initial grip and improved heat dissipation while slotted rotors provide a sort of "cleaning" of the brake pads by getting rid of the frictional material. So the best of both worlds would be to get both right? Well, I am not sure how much money I can spend but it isn't gonna be like a grand. So I guess I am looking for the best deal. I want quality stuff that will last me a while. Anyone have experience with either cross drilled, slotted or both? Can anyone recommend pads? Anyone have any prices that they paid or sites I could look at? I appreciate any help you guys give

Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Here is what I did, and unfortunately since my caliper froze, am doing again.

EBC brake Pads, I ordered from the TireRack, but Taliaferro sells them too.
I ordered Zimmerman X drilled rotors, from www.thesaabsite.com
Also check www.Eeuroparts.com they seem to have a better caliper price, but not rotor.

And, again, I seem to be ordering these, along with a pass side caliper this time. If you drive on crapy northern roads, slathered with salt and sand, consider replacing your calipers if you have around 120k on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to turbosb
Thanks Tweek. If cross drilled and slotted are too expensive (or I can't find any) and I had to choose between one or the other, should I go with cross drilled or slotted?

Kyle

Old 02-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
Elder

dont know, people have argued this to death on central...they say the winner for braking is slotted actually. Claiming the wholes decrease friction surface area.

But I say, the help dissapate the gasses, that cause brake pad floating. Plus they look alot cooler than slotted.
Quote:
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to saab4life
i need some advice as well, because i have completely warped rotors because if i brake hard from 130 110 or whatever, the shit shakes like crazy. I have also had debates about slotted or cross drilled and its up for grabs.. shoudl i get brembo? zimmerman? and ebc pads? will it be worth it if i just burn em out again soon?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

They guy at eEuroparts (Todd, I think?) has had lots of problems with EBC pads and the Zimmerman x-drilled rotors - so much so that he no longer sells the EBC pads, but recommends either the stock Pagid or Mintex pads. Apparently he had lots of customer complaints about warped rotors with this combination and EBC's attitude was less than customer-friendly.

EBC themselves don't sell/make x-drilled, but they do make a dimpled and slotted rotor that looks pretty cool. Unfortunately they only seem to have them for the front. I got this picture from the TireRack web site.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:24 AM   #7
Elder

I have had no problem from my combo at all. Minus the Saab caliper seizing
Quote:
Old 02-27-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos
I have had no problem from my combo at all. Minus the Saab caliper seizing
One of my rear calipers is starting to freeze - not looking forward to that one, let me tell ya....

(I HATE bleeding brakes)
Old 02-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #9
Elder

Lemme guess its the pass side for some reason. I cant figure out why my front and back pass side calipers are toast. thats not even the side thats usually on the outside of a corner either.
Quote:
Old 02-27-2004, 07:47 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

actuall in my case the fronts are fine, it's the back that's starting to go

go figure....
Old 02-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
hello all..., first timer here, and hope to offer some good feedback, from my several years of experience with SAABs.

KVR, and BREMBO recommend slotted for hard track driving, and cross-drilled for street.

Apparently track driving will have a tendency to cause cracking on the cross-drilled, but the slotted are great because they keep warm the brakes up very quickly, and provide a clean surface to bite on when braking. Of course this has a tendency to wear your pads quicker.

The cross-drilled cool the rotors better, and vent the brake dust better than slotted. Generally good on street applications, and some say extend the life of the pads, and rotor.

I've heard a few horror stories about stress cracks on the cross-drilled types, and the increase wear on slotted. Although like many, I was also torn between the two...so now i'm looking at larger rotor area and 4-piston caliper systems.

Check out SAAB Savior some time.

DC
Old 02-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

any ideas on what i should do?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 AM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Quote:
saab4life Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas on what i should do?
Hmmm sounds kinda open ended....you could buy my brake system for me....kidding

[/quote]

saab4life Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need some advice as well, because i have completely warped rotors because if i brake hard from 130 110 or whatever, the shit shakes like crazy. I have also had debates about slotted or cross drilled and its up for grabs.. shoudl i get brembo? zimmerman? and ebc pads? will it be worth it if i just burn em out again soon?

[/quote]

Warped rotors sounds like your definately doing some hard braking. Maybe you could just "slow your roll"...., naa that won't do. Look into KVR's brake system for a 4-piston type using. Expensive at $2500 for the complete system, but will definately stop you. Of course the larger rotor, they provide will definately improve braking with more area to bite, but bigger wheels might be called for.

good luck..
Old 03-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Might also wanna read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 03-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

2500$ is outta the question .. i'm thinking for along the lines of Zimmerman rotos and some EBC pads for total of liek 200-250$ i just wanna know what the best combo is? as far as full brake systems.. i'd rather be able to go fast and not be able to stop LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in