Huge diversity issue - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
TSLMember

Huge diversity issue

OK...many people say differnt things, wondering if someone did the mod and workds great...

ok, installing my turbo xs manual boost controller. There are a few options people say and i was looking for the best one....below options

1. cut the line going to the wastgate actuator
run the mbc in line, inlet facing the turbo nipple,
and the outlet going to the wastegate actuator....
Doing this you keeping the computerized boost controller(cbc) hooked up...

2. Basiacally same as above but the inlet source is comming from the manifold, to get better pressure, more accurate...There for the line comming off the turbo nupple must be blocked

3. Have the cbc still attatched electronically, but take off the boses and clamp them,...Then run the boost controller inlet to either the turbo, or the manifold,,and the outlet to the wastegate actuator...

I understand there have been many many many posts on this subject and im prob. just beeting it to death, but there has to be a best way.....cbc hooked up or not...some people say yes others say no

looking for your opinion on which will work best...

thanks..
--jason
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

A few more points...

With a T7 ECU, adding an MBC will not increase the max boost plus you will loose adaptation for temperature and fuel grades. You will however, still benefit from reduced boost lag.

Do not install the MBC w/o a good boost gauge. After installing the MBC, you need to do a few 3rd gear pulls and adjust max boost to just below where the ECU will cut the fuel off.

After adjusting the MBC, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to clear the ECU memory. Then find an open section of road and perform a number of 3rd gear pulls from 1000 rpm. This will set up the ECU to adapt to the new engine parameters.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
TSLMember

i have t5,,yes i do have a boost gauge. thanks for the ecu tip...never would have thougt to do that....so you said it will adjust to my paramiters(more fuel),,,

so if i am running under cutoff, and am closely monitering gauge , and ecu adjusts to my paramiters. how is that harmful to the engine.......im sorry but in last post you said not to run mbc cause it hurts engine, and here you said that ecu will adjust to its peramiters......thanks

also, im looking for a (best way to install it)

slaab, thanks for the tips.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
For some reason, I am running rich. Thats with an MBC and a good list of other mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos
For some reason, I am running rich. Thats with an MBC and a good list of other mods.
T5 always run rich on boost. This cools the charge and helps avoid detonation.

Once off throttle, it will run lean to clean off the O2 sensor.

Not to worry...
Old 02-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineThreeTurbo
im sorry but in last post you said not to run mbc

slaab, thanks for the tips.
I have always said not to run MBC but to install it as an S-MBC.

If you ignore my recommendations, I can still tell you how to use the MBC so you don't outright kill your car.

The speed/density system of the T5 ecu will lower the boost for cutoff at high temperatures. So you might need to continually need to adjust the MBC for optimum max boost or you might suddenly lose engine power when accelerating in the summer. You also lose the flexiblity to run 87-94 RON octane. This has saved me a few bucks when gas prices fluctuated last summer. Installed as S-MBC, this is not necessary. With S-MBC you gain all the benefits of an MBC but have all the safety of ECU control over boost and fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in