4 Bar MAP Sensor - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
4 Bar MAP Sensor

Just picked up an Omni GM 4 bar MAP sensor for a good deal through my work cause the 3 bar on my car has been acting funny. I've already started converting my tune to work with it and will get everything on once the twin disc is in stock and I get it in. Along with my Tial Q and AEM boost gauge.

Does anyone run a 4 bar or has anyone had any issues with tuning a 4 bar? My resolution won't be quite as nice it seems compared to 3 bar - can't be as articulate as I like to be on fuel maps and even ignition maps. Other than that I don't anticipate any issue.

And no, I'm not running a 4 bar because I think I'll be running >2 bar of boost. It's more of a safety net not to mention I'd like to see how much boost I'm running in the event that I spike above 29.4psi. That, and 4 bar is what we have in stock

Any feedback would be great.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Elder

Nobody? No surprise there, really.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

I have that same 4 bar in my 9k it definitely is nice. As far as tuning goes I think it just shrinks everything down I can't remember to well I did that over a year and a half ago. I've had my car up to 32 psi with no problems a few times I've dialed it back but yea there just nice. I know with map sensors the closer you are to the limit to the sensor the less accurate reading it takes.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i have before, you do loose a little bit of resolution, however map sensors get really funny at there presure limets,, so if you have a 3 bar and your running 27 28 ish psi they can get jumpy, where as the 4 bar works awesome.

Converting the maps are cake, i used to do it all by hand, but the wizard in the new versions of t5suite does it just fine. Just make sure to check all your axis afterwards to be safe.

FYI, the 3 bar maps runs out at 29psi, the 4 bar runs out at 45psi, map sensors all go 1 bar negative pressure (vacuum) and the rest positive.

Mike D
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i have before, you do loose a little bit of resolution, however map sensors get really funny at there presure limets,, so if you have a 3 bar and your running 27 28 ish psi they can get jumpy, where as the 4 bar works awesome.

Converting the maps are cake, i used to do it all by hand, but the wizard in the new versions of t5suite does it just fine. Just make sure to check all your axis afterwards to be safe.

FYI, the 3 bar maps runs out at 29psi, the 4 bar runs out at 45psi, map sensors all go 1 bar negative pressure (vacuum) and the rest positive.

Mike D
I actually haven't even been running at the limit at all, I'm having issues with it even at idle. With the engine off, key on, you can see the factory boost gauge jumping around all over the place. Imagine the effect it has when the car's on

I saw the function to do it in T5Suite but since I haven't played in awhile, I went ahead and did it all by hand. That and to make the axis just how I like them

Haha thanks, I know. What I meant was that I didn't choose 4 bar so that I had the extra room above 2 bar of boost to tune for. It's just in case I do hit up to 3 bar boost I'll know by how much, etc.

Thanks for the input, Mike!

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer52 View Post
I have that same 4 bar in my 9k it definitely is nice. As far as tuning goes I think it just shrinks everything down I can't remember to well I did that over a year and a half ago. I've had my car up to 32 psi with no problems a few times I've dialed it back but yea there just nice. I know with map sensors the closer you are to the limit to the sensor the less accurate reading it takes.
Awesome, that's pretty much all I needed to hear. I didn't see why there'd be an issue so thank you for confirming that. What turbo is on your 9000?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
I just ordered the same map sensor.. My 3bar is acting funny too
Might push the holset a lil more

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Elder

I've found that much above 28ish for me, with all else optimized, is too much torque. Would blow the tires off in any gear.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
I know

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

I've got a 8 blade hx35 with methanol injection on a newly rebuild motor that I haven't driven since august cause I got my viggen and can't afford both on insurance.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
I've found that much above 28ish for me, with all else optimized, is too much torque. Would blow the tires off in any gear.
dude...i keep tellin you...AWD

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
dude...i keep tellin you...AWD
Oh believe me it will happen. Just wanna finish this one up first

You should see our Evo X. Just finished putting a full Tomei on it last night. Goes nice with the Ohlins

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Elder

i dont partake in the high end JDM parts, i have no issue making my car go fast without them lol. although the tomei is damn nice.

i must be getting old, i spent my time yesterday before work dynamatting the evo's trunk to try and quiet down the cabin...i cant even imagine how much louder an expreme Ti would be than my cobb.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
i dont partake in the high end JDM parts, i have no issue making my car go fast without them lol. although the tomei is damn nice.

i must be getting old, i spent my time yesterday before work dynamatting the evo's trunk to try and quiet down the cabin...i cant even imagine how much louder an expreme Ti would be than my cobb.
I understand the feeling. But they're just so beautiful. lol. I haven't heard the Tomei on the Evo yet, I'll have the owner start it up for me a little later. Looks pretty damn good on the new wheels, though.

I know what you mean with that too - I've actually been thinking about a new muffler for my car to refine it a bit but then again I don't really want to spend any more money than I have to on the Saab to put it back to where it should be. Full power, nothing ghetto on it, and clean.

You're missing out on the meet tomorrow. Gonna be pretty awesome.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
TSLMember

SaabKid - How do you like the work done at DynoTech? I met Brian recently and he's got a nice shop, seems to really know his EVOs and DSMs. I saw on your blog that you brought the evo down there for an axle.

Tony
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
I understand the feeling. But they're just so beautiful. lol. I haven't heard the Tomei on the Evo yet, I'll have the owner start it up for me a little later. Looks pretty damn good on the new wheels, though.

I know what you mean with that too - I've actually been thinking about a new muffler for my car to refine it a bit but then again I don't really want to spend any more money than I have to on the Saab to put it back to where it should be. Full power, nothing ghetto on it, and clean.

You're missing out on the meet tomorrow. Gonna be pretty awesome.
the Ti's are LOUD, but its an easy way to save weight..and the cars are just as fat as saabs. 3263 curb weight off the lot.

i couldnt justify the drive out to utah just for the weekend lol sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
SaabKid - How do you like the work done at DynoTech? I met Brian recently and he's got a nice shop, seems to really know his EVOs and DSMs. I saw on your blog that you brought the evo down there for an axle.

Tony
the work was done well/on time. some fluid spilled on my downpipe wrap which made a nice burning smell and had me freaking out but it was probably my fault for over filling the transfer case. brian and jamie are nice but kind of quiet/sarcastic so i could see how some people wouldnt like them. the shop is definitely pretty nice, they had 13 evos apart when i dropped my car off, plus a few dsm's. cars going back in as soon as my new gearbox shows up for a nice large bill of work...

Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
the Ti's are LOUD, but its an easy way to save weight..and the cars are just as fat as saabs. 3263 curb weight off the lot.

i couldnt justify the drive out to utah just for the weekend lol sorry.
Sounded pretty nice to me! Yeah no kidding it's light, I could hold the hold thing out in my hands with ease.

Cusco just arrived from California, that's just as far isn't it?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Elder

i dont have enough wives to visit utah.

i did just get a ford race school flyer in the mail tho, 1-3 day in the mustang fr500s at miller...yes please.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
Elder

Made two quick (morning, before work) attempts to tune for the 4 bar but for some reason the car doesn't want to start after flashing. I did my 3 bar tune by hand back in the day when I was a lot more versed but this time around doing it by hand and even a fresh stock bin converted with the wizard aren't wanting to run. Will further investigate this week when I'm back home in KC.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 02-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #20
SAABeginner

4 bar map sensor

Quote:
Just picked up an Omni GM 4 bar MAP sensor for a good deal through my work cause the 3 bar on my car has been acting funny. I've already started converting my tune to work with it and will get everything on once the twin disc is in stock and I get it in. Along with my Tial Q and AEM boost gauge.

Does anyone run a 4 bar or has anyone had any issues with tuning a 4 bar? My resolution won't be quite as nice it seems compared to 3 bar - can't be as articulate as I like to be on fuel maps and even ignition maps. Other than that I don't anticipate any issue.

And no, I'm not running a 4 bar because I think I'll be running >2 bar of boost. It's more of a safety net not to mention I'd like to see how much boost I'm running in the event that I spike above 29.4psi. That, and 4 bar is what we have in stock

Any feedback would be great.
Hi Comtrang!!
I am looking for such a 4 bar map sensor for my opel vectra c cdti hybrid turbo. Having troubles with over boost. Could you tell wich 4 bar map sensor you bought, more specificly???
Kind regards Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in