Riddle Me This - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Riddle Me This

Took two friends out to show them what my car had to offer in terms of acceleration. On entrance ramp to highway, up hill, I booted it in 2nd(60% throttle). It spun the tires easily, but then this whistle/whine/metallic high-pitched ringing noise came on progressively louder and steadier as revs and boost did.
In the heat of the moment, I thought it might have been noisy PWM drivers from the ECU, which can, on occasion, be heard or some part vibrating against something. I also asked a friend to check that the lines from the water/methanol weren't kinked and that the reservoir had fluid in it ( about 1/3rd tank left). He confirmed this. So I gave it ~70% throttle in 3rd and 4th, only to again have the noise come back. So, we high-tailed it back to his garage where we found nothing, on the computer from the logs or mechanical.
Two hours later I drove home and tried to replicate the sound; nada, even at WOT. The next day, I had one friend get in the car and we tried to get the noise to come back, again, no noise.
No one could pin point where the noise was coming from. Wasn't the back seat where the w/m pump&tank are, nor did it seem to be coming from the turbo.

I don't think it was the clutch slipping and making noise either, as the revs matched the speed.

Anyone have any ideas?
It kinda sounded like this, but lower and less whistly/airy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEvtLlikdc4
Thanks,
-Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Interesting, it was metallic sounding? Unless you can replicate I would not worry. My 900 made all kind of noises then the next day they would be gone, just the attitude of these cars. If it comes back take a look at the pulleys/WP/turbo/BCV. My BCV likes to make a rap-rap sound at like 1500rpm in vacuum.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
What's the suspension setup on your car? Lowered? Long shot, but maybe something to do with the extra weight plus the ass end squatting when you go WOT.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Wheel bearing .......*Guessing*
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

So effing random, but this is a better approximation of the tone..kinda reedy, but such that once at sufficient frequency it produced a whine. It started out reedy too...
###vbulletinsuckspleasecopyandpastelinkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug64rZESK-Y&t=0m20s
-Cm
Edit: So, I made a link that goes right to the time in question in the ridiculous video I posted, so there is no fiddling. You need to post the entire http----etc,etc. It links to the 20 second mark of the video. Vbulletin just embeds the video but doesn't include my fancy address coding to omit the first half of the video...\rant

Last edited by Cm452; 04-28-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Vbulletindurrrr
Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
What's the suspension setup on your car? Lowered? Long shot, but maybe something to do with the extra weight plus the ass end squatting when you go WOT.
Yes, it is lowered on the Eibachs, and to Bogan; it has new wheel bearings in the front and the rear ones seemed fine 2k miles ago when I last checked.
-Cm
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
TSLMember

Awesome boost 1.92 Bar?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt9000cse View Post
Awesome boost 1.92 Bar?
you think it was a turbo/pressure related sound?
-Cm
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
How recently have you done your idler pulley's and whatnot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
How recently have you done your idler pulley's and whatnot?
Never...just replaced the belt and everything seemed to spin freely and without noise. When I say just replaced the belt I mean like <200mi ago.
The consensus is that those in the car (including myself) believed the noise to emanate from the passenger footwell area. This is not entirely helpful, as the glovebox is gone, which tends to funnel noises from the engine bay to the cabin.
-Cm
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #11

My viggen will make almost a whistle/whine under full boost in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. I think it's air coming from the throttle body to upper pipe connection. If I were you, I would do a boost leak test on the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #12

Did you have your cabin fan on?

My fan makes strange noises from time to time ...... Then goes away
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #13

Had a similar noise turned out my gasket to the turbo/manifold was leaking slightly
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
If it is one of those pulleys, it will let you know for sure soon enough.I actually was able to cross ref. my original replacement thread on SC with when I had it fail 4 or so years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Sounds like a pulley

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Did you have your cabin fan on?

My fan makes strange noises from time to time ...... Then goes away
YES! I DID! Might just be the culprit...it does make screeching-whistling-dieing chipmunk/bird sounds from time to time. I will investigate the pulleys.... you guys ROCK

-Cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in