Lets talk real$ - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Lets talk real$

So with the new advance in tune I know that my viggens week t7 pistons will need to be babied. So I'm trying to find out what pistons should be placed in and what's a realistic price, so I can get ready.

Also dose any one have any step by step oil pan dropping instructions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Flick thru this : Dropped the oil pan (56k, forget it) - SaabCentral Forums
Old 04-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Elder

here try this

Saab Forged Pistons

or this

Genuine Saab Pistons Forged JE for B235 $519
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Any one with experience regarding the cost to have pistons installed? That part of his question is a good bit harder to find when searching.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ridge View Post
Any one with experience regarding the cost to have pistons installed? That part of his question is a good bit harder to find when searching.
Are you trying to find the cost for other parts needed (gaskets, etc) while you install the pistons yourself?

Or are you asking us what your mechanic would charge?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
SAABeginner

I was thinking more of the labor side. Maybe the OP wasn't concerned with that part. I've always thought the pistons were just the edge of the ice berg when it came to engine builds.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ridge View Post
I was thinking more of the labor side. Maybe the OP wasn't concerned with that part. I've always thought the pistons were just the edge of the ice berg when it came to engine builds.
Count on the pistons and rings costing about $500. New head gasket kit is likely another $85. With the head off, it's a good time to do the timing chain and tensioner, so that's another $80 in parts.

Labor cost is dependent on the hourly rate near you, which varies pretty wildly depending on the region. Figure on the labor rate being anywhere from $65-90 per hour.

Rough estimate is about 8-12 hours labor (that's probably on the high side...)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Thanks all I was just trying to find out how much I need to get up to in my second account befor doing this job.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
gdc
SAAB Road Master

wait , mechanics in Mass , charge 65 dollars , wow , sf and anywhere near is atleast 100
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post
wait , mechanics in Mass , charge 65 dollars , wow , sf and anywhere near is atleast 100
LOL...I left an intentionally wide range there. Labor rate outside Boston is usually between $80-90, and that's at a decent indie. Closer to the city it pushes $95-100...

If you're in EBF somewhere, the rates are often lower. There was a thread a few years back where guys said their local indie charged $50-60
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
JZW
Elder

Something not mentioned here, the Woessner pistons are known for much less piston slap than the JE pistons, the Woessner are lighter and of much higher quality in my opinion, these are the pistons used to upgrade for cars like Porshe and I have found they work very well, much less noise on start up and the performance is great. I use them for all my engine builds, even my 800bhp drag car,

John
Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Thumbs up

If you going to put pistons in, and your going to do it right, take it to a good mechine shop. Make sure they balance the rotating mass, etc. Then you might as well deck the block and while your bottom end is @ the shop you might aswell get a basic valve job. With pistons, rings, timing parts, and every new gasket. Your looking just over a grand, IF YOU DON'T FIND ANYTHING ELSE WRONG WITH YOUR ENGINE. im looking to do the same thing, but Im a tech and have access to a shop so I will be re-assembling the engine myself. keeping my labor cost down and prying my engine was well taken care of. And this is a bare minimum imo, why put 500$ pistons in a car with worn out head or bottom end? If it goes you'll have to buy new pistons again.

I'm in the same boat, ive got the pistons and rings, now I just need the rest of my funds and 3 to 6 spare transmissions..... It's going to be dope :$
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
My indy is $60 per hour, and he knows his shit, and charges you actual labor, and not what the book says it takes for time. He can usually bang out most jobs pretty damn quick, and 9 times out of 10, he winds up being even cheaper than what he quotes you.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
On the engine I just rebuilt I had the block: Cleaned, Decked, Bored .020 Over, the Crank Balanced, main bearing housings line honed, magnafluxed, the rods and pistons balanced, and had them make a balance shaft delete kit.

I had the head cleaned, milled, pressure tested, valves lap'd in, valve seals removed.

Total was around $1300 for machine work alone.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in