Wrappin' the delivery pipe - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
well something to keep in mind, the air velocity inside the TB and pipework is so fast that from the inlet of the airbox to the inside of the cylinder takes probably 1/10th of a second.

I would suspect that if you took the AIR temp of the air coming out of the TB before the warp and TB coolant by-pass were done, and then again after it was done you are probably talking 1/2 a degree difference. Not saying it's not worth doing, but just keep in mind in terms of real world HP figures you are probably not even increasing 1 HP by doing all this.

Also, if you live in climates where it gets below 0 degrees F very often, you should be very careful with removing the TB heater hoses. It's there to prevent throttle plate icing and with consistent low RPM's (like cruising on the highway) where the TB is in one position there is a chance that it could get locked open by ice that can form on the backside of the TB in the low pressure zone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #22
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
that, delorean, is why i put it back for winter. but i did notice a sizeable difference with it done and undone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 PM   #23
Avid TSL User

The problem with wrapping the pipe is that when you drive for anything over a half hour would the wrap not start doing the opposite and heat the delivery pipe since the whole engine compartment is hot? If you build a house in the desert and isulate teh walls, they wil not keep the house cooler, in fact once the house is heated up and the sun goes down the house will remain hot. I know it's a weird analogy but you get the point

Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SAAB9-3
The problem with wrapping the pipe is that when you drive for anything over a half hour would the wrap not start doing the opposite and heat the delivery pipe since the whole engine compartment is hot? If you build a house in the desert and isulate teh walls, they wil not keep the house cooler, in fact once the house is heated up and the sun goes down the house will remain hot. I know it's a weird analogy but you get the point
well no, what you're saying makes sense when there is the natural cycle, but in an engine the sun doesnt go down until you arent using it anymore, see? so the same idea doesnt really apply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 11-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #25
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg_td
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SAAB9-3
well no, what you're saying makes sense when there is the natural cycle, but in an engine the sun doesnt go down until you arent using it anymore, see? so the same idea doesnt really apply.
Doesn't apply anyway since the natural temperature of the ground under the house is waaaaay below the ambient air temperature at 2pm in the summer.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #26
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Back on the topic of hood insulation....I took it off on my old 9k because it was really dirty and gross from age. Looking back I wish I'd left it on because of the ugly unpainted area underneath it. Other then that the only difference I noticed was all the noises I heard.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:30 PM   #27
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
That's an interesting point. There is some weird theories on who has unpainted areas and who doesn't. I really don't remember, but I think mine was fully painted underneath. I know mg_td's is. But most other people have the big spot that is just primer. Who knows....
Old 11-30-2005, 02:35 PM   #28
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer
That's an interesting point. There is some weird theories on who has unpainted areas and who doesn't. I really don't remember, but I think mine was fully painted underneath. I know mg_td's is. But most other people have the big spot that is just primer. Who knows....
Yeah...green 95 9k CSE had some nasty looking primer under there. I'm not about to find out on my silver Aero though.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #29
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley
Quote:
Yeah...green 95 9k CSE had some nasty looking primer under there. I'm not about to find out on my silver Aero though.
I think mine is all painted underneath... You can just take a couple tabs off from the top and take a peak under neath to the paint, if you want to put it back just plug them back in... I did this like 2 months ago when I was going to do it... It was sure dirty... probably will take mine off in the spring, after the winter's over and see how I like it.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #30
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
im going to take mine off.... been thinking about it for a while. because if there is any "paint cracking" it doesnt matter anyways i was always going to get it re-painted and the badge shaved.... but now i wrecked my hood so it doesnt matter anyways! its just a little warped... nothing major... so i will do a test with this hood... and then when i get the new one i will know... and if it is primered i will know to get the underside painted of the new hood when i get it re-painted... prob. do that this weekend if i dont forget.... i will tell you how it goes.... maybe the BOV will be even louder!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #31
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab93cse
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley
Quote:
I think mine is all painted underneath... You can just take a couple tabs off from the top and take a peak under neath to the paint, if you want to put it back just plug them back in... I did this like 2 months ago when I was going to do it... It was sure dirty... probably will take mine off in the spring, after the winter's over and see how I like it.
I'd bet that its got a square of just primer under there. The part that wasn't painted underneath mine was small (2' x 2' maybe), but stuck out like a sore thumb. Be careful taking those plastic rivets out, they're a bitch to get back in and the insulation will tear easily if you pull to hard trying to get them out.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #32
SAABeginner

I have the nice primer spot under my hood, I'd like to know why some are like that and others fully painted.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #33
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Windham eh?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #34
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Ok, So I wrapped my delivery pipe.

Funny story too.

A few coworkers and I decide to grab a beer after work. One of my managers wants to carpool.

She is kind of skinny and gets cold easy.

I say "I have leather heated seats" and she's in the car with a smile.

"I've never been in a saab before" she says. "Really?" I say.

After some chit-chat and a mile or so, we are headed up an entrance ramp.
From that passenger seat comes, "ooh, your car is fast"

I was in first gear at the time. I shift into second. And put it to the floor.

The only thing louder than the "POP" of the delivery pipe flying off at the throttle body, was my swearing.

Good thing I had a head lamp and the wrenches in my pocket.

Shit.

Anyway, here is the pictures:
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #35
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Ok, So I wrapped my delivery pipe.

Funny story too.

A few coworkers and I decide to grab a beer after work. One of my managers wants to carpool.

She is kind of skinny and gets cold easy.

I say "I have leather heated seats" and she's in the car with a smile.

"I've never been in a saab before" she says. "Really?" I say.

After some chit-chat and a mile or so, we are headed up an entrance ramp.
From that passenger seat comes, "ooh, your car is fast"

I was in first gear at the time. I shift into second. And put it to the floor.

The only thing louder than the "POP" of the delivery pipe flying off at the throttle body, was my swearing.

Good thing I had a head lamp and the wrenches in my pocket.

Shit.

Anyway, here are the pictures:
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #36

much neater than mine , that kind of wrap would probably do something

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #37
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
maybe i missed this, but where did you get that wrap?

it looks much better than the tin foil looking wrap ive seen before, i usually see that wrap on exhausts but im sure it works just as well.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #38
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

It's actually header wrap.

I bought it at car quest for about 15 bucks. I used most of a 15 foot roll.

And free zip ties.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #39

Is it just me, or does "Wrapping the delivery pipe" sound like a euphemism for putting on a condom?

"Hey hon, we need to wrap the delivery pipe before we can play...."
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #40
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Is it just me, or does "Wrapping the delivery pipe" sound like a euphemism for putting on a condom?

"Hey hon, we need to wrap the delivery pipe before we can play...."
Kinda does...hahahahaha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in