Couple questions I'd like to have cleared up...? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Couple questions I'd like to have cleared up...?

Hey guys,
I have a couple quick questions I would like to have cleared up. I didn't think I needed two threads though.

I am installing my cheap-o sunpro boost gauge tomorrow. Which line should I tap into for a t5 car? I read was reading through the sticky, and learned the differences, but before I cut in I'd like to double check.
The line the is dotted in the picture (that I swiped) is OK for t5 cars, yes?

I'll tap in closest to the firewall of course.

Second question (a bov question) when getting the turbocharger swapped out, the mech said something along the lines of "remove the recirculating hose feeding the turbo's inlet pipe, plug the inlet hole, then angle the BOV's outlet (what the recirculating hose was attached to) towards the fan shroud" to get more a of bov type sound. Is there any truth to this? Will it not create a vacuum and suck in air or will it remain closed? I remember somewhere (I think one of Bogans threads) that the stock recirc valve (or bpv) remains open at idle. If there's a how-to for this with some pictures, that would be boss.

I'm not really a description person, I tend to have to see a picture to know whats being talked about.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, I am trying to get it off the ground so likes are appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Tap into the vacuum line that you have Dotted. The one that goes to the top of the Valve.

Is that engine picture a T 7 ?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Tap into the vacuum line that you have Dotted. The one that goes to the top of the Valve.

Is that engine picture a T 7 ?
yeah, black DI Ecopower... pretty sure that isnt T5...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Elder

Go ahead and vent the BPV. Mine has been run that way for probably 45k miles. Very common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
Go ahead and vent the BPV. Mine has been run that way for probably 45k miles. Very common.
Seconded. I ran mine this way for several months before I got a BOV.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Do not vent if you have an AMM, which you do.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

T7 cars do not like to be "vented" it throws off the MAF (mass air-flow sensor) and causes the system to go rich. T7 is like a helicopter parent and quickly negatively adjusts system settings, not the least of which is an accrued fuel-trim, which could lead to lean conditions.
-Cm
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
He says he has a T5 car, but that pic is of a T7 engine.

Tap into the hose coming off the map sensor on the upper strut bar. That is what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Elder

Wait yeah, I'm confused. I replied before looking at photos. T7 doesn't like it, but you said this is for a T5 engine, which the pictured one is not. Clarify please!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Elder

OP has a 97 900. Pic is from this tutorial thread https://www.saablink.net/forum/tutorials/24593.htm

Last edited by stig; 03-21-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Thanks Stig, yes I have a T5 and that is where the photo is from. That's a t7 in the picture I am just using it for reference.

If I vent the BPV to atmosphere, will I still be able to use that line for the boost gauge, or should I use the hose coming off the map sensor on the upper strut bar if I do that?
Thanks for the responses.
Just to clarify and work on my maaaaad paint shop skillz

Everything correct right?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

And, what should I plug it with? I could think a physical plug would be prone to shrinking and expanding in this 20 degree weather. Would some duct tape (actual duct tape, with high heat aluminum and adhesive) suffice? I know it may not look the best, but I'm more of a function over beauty type, and it should still hold when damp and last if I clean it up first. I pull the stuff off old vent systems that are 20+ years old in homes and it was still doing its job after all the abuse from temps.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
step 3 is correct on the picture. step 1 is completely wrong, the bpv needs to stay connected to the aluminum pipe, but can be disconnected from the long rubber hose that goes back to the intake. step 2 doesn't matter, the bpv can be pointed in any direction.

this should help

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWSAABVT View Post
step 3 is correct on the picture. step 1 is completely wrong, the bpv needs to stay connected to the aluminum pipe, but can be disconnected from the long rubber hose that goes back to the intake. step 2 doesn't matter, the bpv can be pointed in any direction.

this should help
Yes. Makes much more sense now. I was totally missing how that would work. lol What did you use to cap the hole with?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

And thank you

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Elder

For a cap, head to Lowe's or Home depot and poke around. Anything for a plastic cap that you can hose-clamp on the end is totally fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in