any to truth to this - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
gdc
SAAB Road Master

any to truth to this

I read somewhere that a bigger down pipe could get me some mpg's is their any truth to this , I get around 30 to 31 at 65 on providing their isnt to many hills to climb I have Gs intake and stg1 tune along with a saabsport cat back and forge blowoff and vig intercooler , Im thinking of taken a cross country roadie and with the prices of gas and the distance i will travel , I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the larger down pipe , and oh in San Francisco today premium gas was 4.50 a gallon, oh joy , i wonder what it will look like by spring . so the rumored 20% that i heard would pay for itself eventually .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
20% I doubt. Yes you can get better gas mileage, but the car is so much more fun to drive I hardly get better anymore.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

since its a t5 car (forge blowoff) my take on it as it wont be noticeable, 3inch allows EGTS to go down, and since our t5 cars are map sensor based and not MAF based, only thing your improving is air inlet/outlet flow though the whole system, as fuel tables are monitored by air density and not flow (this is what i think correct me if im wrong tuners)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
gdc
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily View Post
since its a t5 car (forge blowoff) my take on it as it wont be noticeable, 3inch allows EGTS to go down, and since our t5 cars are map sensor based and not MAF based, only thing your improving is air inlet/outlet flow though the whole system, as fuel tables are monitored by air density and not flow (this is what i think correct me if im wrong tuners)
I guess that sounds right. but i am far from someone who knows anything
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Yes. Not 20%. But yes. Reduced pumping losses, theoretically better exhaust-scavenging, and reduced incidence of knock, which, theoretically, would allow for a more aggressive timing profile and thus more efficient operation as an adaptive trait of T5.
The likelihood of your capitalizing on these gains; almost zero. The vastly hastened spool-up and meatier power-band preclude any such frugal endeavors.
-Cm
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Yes. Not 20%. But yes. Reduced pumping losses, theoretically better exhaust-scavenging, and reduced incidence of knock, which, theoretically, would allow for a more aggressive timing profile and thus more efficient operation as an adaptive trait of T5.
The likelihood of your capitalizing on these gains; almost zero. The vastly hastened spool-up and meatier power-band preclude any such frugal endeavors.
-Cm
This, times infinity.

Nearly all the performance mods for T5 improve efficiency in the machine and a heavier right foot in the owner. By driving extremely conservatively you will likely see a gain, but you have to remind yourself to roll on the throttle easy and to shift early almost at the point of lugging the engine.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

the dp is worth it for the added drivability so do it anyway
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

When I drive my car to work and back 5 days a week I get excellent fuel economy. (really)

On the weekend It sucks it like a V8.

Get a down pipe. The better your car breaths, the better the economy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in