APC Bypass - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedSwede Send a message via Skype™ to BoostedSwede
APC Bypass

I've heard some funky reactions some Saab's exhibit when the APC is messed with, however I would much rather run my own setup, which would include the complete removal of the unit.

I have a '94 900SE-Turbo Trionic5, and my boost is flux, it'll pass in, and out during WOT and all it does is irritate me, while I do currently have the GT25, I have a TD04 from an Aero I plan to rebuild and install this spring, and also wish to simplify the boost control, and omit the current setup entirely and replace it with a simple brass "Tee" (Compressor housing -> Boost Controller -> Wastegate).

Any further insight to be had?
I've read it could blow your motor, disable the car and even make the ECM run open loop "Limp" mode.

I'm not entirely convinced, I see nothing more than a possible DTC, but want to see if anyone here has had success or knows of success in this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Elder

pretty sure T5 doesnt have the APC box that the c900s do.

in this you need to reprogram the ecu, using t5 suite or some of our great tuners on here you should be all set to run pretty much whatever you like.

unless you want to redo the entire fuel delivery system etc (IIRC) theres really no reason to bypass it.

i used mikeD for my tunes which included a couple of T5s.

a few people have tried the full bypass but i dont they are running anything close to daily drivers or stock. and most have had some sort of major setback in doing it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedSwede Send a message via Skype™ to BoostedSwede
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
pretty sure T5 doesnt have the APC box that the c900s do.

in this you need to reprogram the ecu, using t5 suite or some of our great tuners on here you should be all set to run pretty much whatever you like.

unless you want to redo the entire fuel delivery system etc (IIRC) theres really no reason to bypass it.

i used mikeD for my tunes which included a couple of T5s.

a few people have tried the full bypass but i dont they are running anything close to daily drivers or stock. and most have had some sort of major setback in doing it
I can't seem to get T5Suite or CarPC to run on my computer, it crashes every time I try to open it, I'll try with the wife's laptop soon.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't just try it myself, however this begs the question of, what part of the APC would cause the fluctuating boost...?

'94 900SE-Turbo
True CAI
Custom Cat-Back 2.5" exhaust.

**Local junker loaded with Saabs, PM with part requests, will be making next run Mar. 4 -NG900/9-3/9-5 Only atm-

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I ran a MBC on my ng900 with no issues, although I did have a T5suite stage 3 tune, so fueling was adjusted to compensate. I was tired of the issues presented by the stock boost control valve always acting up, so I just bypassed it. That said, I wouldn't suggest it with a stock tune.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Well, due to some unfortunate circumstances, and a forced move back to Colorado, I've gotta sell the car anyways, I'll be repairing what I can and passing the car to someone with money, hopefully someone here since I want it loved and cared for, it's a sad shame to see it go since it's been so damn good to me, and it pisses me off to sell it, but life doesn't wait.

How hard was that MBC to install? and how did you do it (new to going farther than just driving these cars)

There are a lot of T7 Saabs at the local yard that I could grab one from.

'94 900SE-Turbo
True CAI

**Local junker loaded with Saabs, PM with part requests, will be making next run Mar. 4 -NG900/9-3/9-5 Only atm-
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedSwede View Post
How hard was that MBC to install? and how did you do it (new to going farther than just driving these cars)

There are a lot of T7 Saabs at the local yard that I could grab one from.

It takes about 5 minutes to install an MBC, after you spend 30 minutes building it. Then another half our setting the boost level.

Grab one what from a T7? You can't use a t7 BPC without some programming of the ECU. Some guys do that because it's a much cheaper part.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

If the boost is flying all over the place, the BPC is bad. As I've posted before, eliminating the BPC hampers the ECU's ability to compensate for knock.

The T7 BPC is just flat out better in every way. Not only cheaper but way more consistent.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyPc View Post
If the boost is flying all over the place, the BPC is bad. As I've posted before, eliminating the BPC hampers the ECU's ability to compensate for knock.

The T7 BPC is just flat out better in every way. Not only cheaper but way more consistent.
OK, thank you very much, I'll run to the local yard when the weather gets better and grab what I need.

'94 900SE-Turbo
True CAI

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
T7 bpc must be tunned into the T5 ecu, as well as modding the actual ecu board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
T7 bpc must be tunned into the T5 ecu, as well as modding the actual ecu board
Life can never be easy, can it?

'94 900SE-Turbo
True CAI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in