Holset b235r motor build - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
TSLMember

Holset b235r motor build

hey all bout to start my project. Built b235r which will he spooling a big Holset. So i wanna make sure i cover all the open end's of thing's im concerned with. going for 500whp. please let me know what you think and pic heavy shortly.
B205 block
b235r crank
b235r rods
Wossner 90.5
Coated Bearings
decked block and head
O-ringed
thought's on oil pump? or mod's for better oiling? maybe dry sump?
T7 head
Enem cams
Trollspeed race valve springs
T5 valve's, Seats, guides
Light P&P
3angle valve job
port matched and gasket matched
Balanced entire lower rotating assembly(crank,rods, flywheel, Balancer)
ARP head studs
New gasket's and seal's threwout.
still up in the air with which manifold im gona run maybe a reindeer or GS top mount.
Holset HX35
Missing anything???
Obviously there's alot of info missing as for tranny mod's fueling ect... i wana just stay focused on the motor atm. then move forward with the rest.
Thanks
Don.

Last edited by MintyFreshAero; 02-08-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
pistons???? also, think about using a 234/204 block, they are made of a little bit stronger material,, if i do a big build, i prefer to pull Ng900 NA motors, and re-use there block. they are super cheap, and gennerelly in nicer shape
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

For better oiling, see "yellowjet's" viggen build thread. They used a b204 timing cover and oil pump, TIG'd on an extra boss for the p/s pump bracket

Last edited by seriks1; 02-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
If you decide for a top mount... Hy35 is probly the biggest you can fit without modifying the hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
TSLMember

so updated the list after speaking with JZW yesterday. and sorry mikeD pistons were just forgot on the list. i'll be going with coated bearings per john's advice, as well as the uprated race valve spring's to rev out a bit more. as for turbo i think finally set on the Hx35 as the best streetable option. with the 12cm housing. i really want the reindeer manifold. any ideas on a source? vigge? or should i just have something custom fabbed? soon as the block's together i'll post some pics and can start discussing thing's more for fuel ect...
Don
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Excuse my noobness,
But what is a "3 angle valve job" ?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

Why would you O-ring a multilayer headgasket? That's not recommended. That's really only something you do to old style headgaskets made before a Multi-layer design was available. I'm with Viggi in the logic of the headgasket is the "Fuse" for the engine. If the fuse doesn't Blow when you have a severe cylinder pressure spike because of improper tuning, leading to a Severe Knock event, Equals Mechanical damage, Bent rods, Broke pistons, Broken crank etc. Trust me, You really want the headgasket to blow first, in the event of a tuning fail. Or else it's time to buy a New motor and you start all over again. = to much $$$ instead of Fun. If you need an East coast custom saab head builder, Full out machineist, PM me I'll throw his number to you. Also you should replace the balance shaft bearings while you're there as well.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 02-08-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Excuse my noobness,
But what is a "3 angle valve job" ?
A3 angle valve job changes the face of the contacting surface from around 30 something degrees to 40 something degrees. Depends on the stones you're using to grind with. The problem with changing the valve angles leads to a Thinner valve margin. The valve margin is the Perimeter of the valve that gets Thinner & weaker, More prone to burn. I just Grind the stock valves into the head, Deeper untill I have as close to a Perfectly matted surfaces Valve to seat as i can get with almost no pressure loss. This recesses the valves a little deeper into the head but causes such a Tight seal that the engine becomes more efficient than the "Other guys who sub there work can get"
I do my own tricks after the machineist is done to make my stuff as best as I can possibly make it. It shows in basic measurements like engine vacuum, & why tuners want to know why my engines make -30 inches of vacuum vs. everybody else's fluttery -18 to-20 inches. I am a hardware guy- I leave the software tuning up to the tuners. With proper Hardware assembly & Professional tuning, You will have monumental results.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 02-08-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
TSLMember

thanks guy's for the thoughts. my engine machinist was the suggestion to o-ringing. also discussed it with JZW. this still may or may not happen when they start the machining next week. as for 3angle also a suggestion from machinist. they build many high hp race motors and the cost was very little when quoted into the rest of the work. maybe some other's will throw some comment's and suggestions on these two things. As far as tuning i've really been discussing the motor build with john, i've called numerous time's to discuss my concern's or ask questions on what the best,strongest route and also what really need's done for my HP goals. since he will be the software/tuning for it all to make my Goals.
Thanks alot
Don.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in