Going to tweak up the 9-3 tdo4 swap - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Going to tweak up the 9-3 tdo4 swap

Now that my newer gt1752 is smoking already, i believe its time for a tdo415t i found one for 170 but it needs rebuild. (from what ive seen thats a good price). What is it going to cost to rebuild ? I plan on going stage 2 then 3 after i see that its handling itself. Things im going to add.
tdo4
braided lines
cx 3 inch intercooler
3 inch down pipe
boost gauge
aem wide band
stage 2 tune

Im not sure if i will have to run different injectors or anything for fuel ?
Any input would be appreciated? on the whole swap
remember this motor only has 3500 miles on fresh rebuild.
should i do a retoqure
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
After the downpipe, do you have an aftermarket or SaabSport Exhaust? Other than that I don't see the need to get a 2, just go for the stage 3. Seriously.

No need for injectors, but with the wideband you'll be able to keep tabs on fuel ratios and with that the fuel pump. Down the line you'll probably want to think about upgrading it if your current one fails.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

a 3" intercooler is going to give you so much lag on spool. compressor outlet is 2" on a td04 and tb is 2.5" i would stick to one of thoose two sizes. the TD04 isnt big enough to push the amount of air needed for 3" FMIC w/B&P. plus its cheaper.

did you put JE's or wo's in when you had your engine rebuilt? do you have the newest PCV system?

i wouldnt go a step farther without these two modifications on the engine side.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Just use the stock hardlines. Only reason to use braided is for a holset/GT30 swap.
Stock injectors are fine, and same with the intercooler ^^^^^

I would say get some trans/engine mounts and other supporting bits. Stage 3 will quickly tell you what is worn out depending on how many miles are on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If you rebuild the tdo4 yourself it can be done for cheap, i spend like 45 dollars on a rebuild kit (as long as the wheels and housings are intact). You'll just need a good snap ring removal tool to take the compressor housing off. I had also found a set of stainless braided lines for upgrading to a tdo4 which cost me about 50 dollars, but be warned, a few of the fittings were not the correct size and i had to get creative to have my car up and running again. As for the tune, you will need to get a tune for a tdo4 as the boost/fuel/timing maps are not correct/too aggressive for the tdo4. I noticed when i ran a stage3+ tune in my car while i was waiting to order my stage 4 that my car would act funny on part throttle (ie. pulling timing before there was significant boost and low low low mpgs). I would look into having the car tuned for a tdo4, there are many tuners on this site with very fair pricing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordScania View Post
a 3" intercooler is going to give you so much lag on spool. compressor outlet is 2" on a td04 and tb is 2.5" i would stick to one of thoose two sizes. the TD04 isnt big enough to push the amount of air needed for 3" FMIC w/B&P. plus its cheaper.
Ive got a 3.5" thick intercooler with my TD04 and I have no lag problems at all.

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:

did you put JE's or wo's in when you had your engine rebuilt? do you have the newest PCV system?

i wouldnt go a step farther without these two modifications on the engine side.
You don't need a 3" inlet to have a 3" thick IC. Most will have the 2 or 2.5 inch inlets.

And I would upgrade the intercooler. The stock one is not effective at all.

I've had the stock ic, the viggen ic, the ETS ic, and a custom ebay setup. The latter 2 were far better than anything Saab provided.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Fmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSilver View Post
Ive got a 3.5" thick intercooler with my TD04 and I have no lag problems at all.
Bar and plate or tube and fin?

a true bar and plate will give you issues building boost @ low rpm.

that being said how tall & long also come into play.

from what i can see most crx racing are tub and fins and will not give you a problem not matter how large your core is.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Bar and plate or tube and fin?

a true bar and plate will give you issues building boost @ low rpm.

that being said how tall & long also come into play.

from what I can see most crx racing are tub and fins and will not give you a problem not matter how large your core is.

yeah its Bar & Plate, 27"x6"x3.5"

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Nice thanks guys ! I want to do braided lines so i dont have to mess with hard lines. seems if it would be easier while in the engine bay.

no fuel upgrades
Bushings and mounts ? this is where this car lacks =(
struts and bushings will be needed before any swift turns lol
What could i do for a cheap strut setup? Maybe lower it down with some cheap coils.
Dammit these parts for this car are hard to find.

The rest of the exhaust will def have to be gone through.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABB-story View Post
What could i do for a cheap strut setup? Maybe lower it down with some cheap coils.
GenuineSaab.com

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Nice thanks guys ! I want to do braided lines so i dont have to mess with hard lines. seems if it would be easier while in the engine bay.

no fuel upgrades
Bushings and mounts ? this is where this car lacks =(
struts and bushings will be needed before any swift turns lol

The rest of the exhaust will def have to be gone through.
I'll never understand why people want more HP but want to cheap out on the suspension. What's the point of more power if you can't put it down on the road or control the car?

Eibach springs, Koni or Bilstein shocks. Rack brace or poly bushing. Rear bar upgrade. Quality tires. tirerack.com, genuinesaab.com, importrp.com.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Right, i know more hp before handling ! I would rather have my car be slow and handle better.( i had a miata, slow but had stance coil-overs on it(rails) I just wanna get this car a little better than stock, as its my daily driver. I have a turbo mustang project that is my main focus.

My suspension is shot though! Ill be the first to admit it. I could of sworn that my trans mounts and motor mounts looked newer.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Right, i know more hp before handling ! I would rather have my car be slow and handle better.( i had a miata, slow but had stance coil-overs on it(rails) I just wanna get this car a little better than stock, as its my daily driver. I have a turbo mustang project that is my main focus.

My suspension is shot though! Ill be the first to admit it. I could of sworn that my trans mounts and motor mounts looked newer.
If you just want "a little better than stock" or the stage 2 you mentioned (like 225-245HP?), get the TD04 and do the swap. A stock TD04 and tune will give you 210 to 215 HP. If you can find a donor car in the u-pull, you can use all stock parts. You could even use the stock intercooler now. Put on a cat back, get a tune, you're all set.

For a little more power, go stage 3, I don't think you need to add anything more but add the downpipe, intercooler, and tune to the stage 2 to get to 270HP (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in