Need help Selecting Shocks - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
TSLMember

Need help Selecting Shocks

I'm now getting around to replacing my springs and shocks/struts on my 97 900SE Talladega. The idiot before me heated the front springs to lower it and they simply have to go. I'm getting to Vogtland springs from Genuine. What shocks should I get? Koni's are out of my price range. Where can i get bilstein HDs for a decent price? I've found some on Ebay but I cant tell if theyre the right ones. I'll link below for an example. If not these could someone give me an example of what to buy? Everywhere I look it just says Bilstein HD's. Thanks in advance!

BMW E46 Bilstein HD Front and Rear Shock Absorber Set New BMW 325xi 330xi | eBay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #2

Bilstein HDs or Konis if you plan to lower the car and/or keep it for a while. Sachs-Boge is OEM replacement but about as pricy as Konis, IIRC. KYB is OK as a stock replacement but don't expect them to last very long. Dunno about Monroe or any of the chain store equivalents.

Try Shox.com for pricing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
TSLMember

Are all Bilstein HD's the same?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowko View Post
Are all Bilstein HD's the same?
No.

All shocks are made to the specific suspension travel length of the car, so no, those Ebay BMW shocks probably won't fit.

You order shocks to fit the specific model and year of the vehicle.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
TSLMember

OK thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #6

If you're trying to keep things cheap, see if any dealerships have some old takeoffs sitting around.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
TSLMember

Yea I have a lot of buddies with Saabs, gonna see if ican find some used ones laying around.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

Any stock shocks from a 94-98 NG900 will work. They probably won't work for long, but should last long enough for you to save up for Bilsteins
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
TSLMember

The ones currently installed might be OK, I'm going to check when i rip them out.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowko View Post
The ones currently installed might be OK, I'm going to check when i rip them out.
Odds are against the fronts being good. If the rears are OK, put Koni's in the front and keep the stock rears. It's not a bad combo. When you have money, you can upgrade the rear shocks with no extra work.

FYI - you really shouldn't be planning on stiffer springs if you can't afford stiffer shocks. Shocks need to control the springs. If you can only afford one, just buy the high quality shocks.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
If the guy was dumb-enough to heat springs, he likely didn't upgrade shocks. they're probably blown, or close to it.

GR-2 are a good "OE" replacement, but not on a lowered car. I dont' know the vogtlands, are they much lower than a viggen? if not, GR-2 would be fine.
Get the HD's or the sports if you can budget them. They're about the best you can buy stateside. if you choose the right one, based on lowering, you likely will never need to replace them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in