Need help with Viggen codes for suspension springs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
TSLMember

Need help with Viggen codes for suspension springs

I am doing a suspension overhaul on my 1999 9-3 SE and want to buy new springs for my vehicle. I don't want lowering springs, as the roads around here get a bit bumpy and I'll bottom out on anything too low. All the aftermarket kits I saw go too low for my liking, so I figured on just going with new Viggen springs.

There are a couple of variations of the Viggen springs one can order, and I don't know the difference. Can anybody with a Viggen offer some clarity on this? Reading the codes off your code identification plate would help.
  • Front springs have part no. 5084553, spring code CD. The other possible part no. is 5084546, spring code CC. Both parts are listed as being for a 3/5-dr Viggen.
  • Rear springs have part no. 5084595, code BT. Alternative part no. is 5084603, code BU.
The spring codes come from the code identification plate, which is mounted below the hood on the passenger side, just above the passenger headlight. For example, my plate reads: AZ-BF-B-B-P-W The codes are for front spring, rear spring, front ARB, rear ARB, front spring strut/insert, rear shock absorber, respectively. A Viggen plate would read CD-BU-, or CC-BT-, or some combination of those codes, to start.

For the location of the code plate, see this image here. It's item 6 in that image, with the suspension-related codes listed at the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
SAABeginner

Hi.....
In youre case it doesnt mather. Since you dont have a Viggen it doesnt mather because the codes have something to do with the vin nr..
For example:
What options the car have, If the car has sun roof or not, wich swaybar is fitted and so on.....
Dont worry..... =)

Best reg. Andreas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Elder

Either would work for you, it was probably just a part number supercession and they're functionally almost identical. That or maybe one was Canadian market that got slightly more ground clearance or something like that.

I forget where in LA you live, but unless you've got a Viggen front bumper, lowered 9-3s still have pretty good ground clearance as long as you're careful on steep driveways.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Last edited by DrewP; 12-30-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm with Drew. Unless you've got body mods, a lowered 9-3 is plenty high for LA roads. They're even fine here in the frost heaved Northeast. The Viggen is about a half inch below the stock 9-3, so the Eibach is only perhaps another 3/4" more. Note that a lot of Viggen guys move to the Eibach (or other) lowered springs because the stock springs aren't all that exciting. The Eibach & Koni combo rocks... nice ride, serious handling improvement.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
TSLMember

So often, the answer you need is the answer to the question you didn't ask. That seems the case here.

For the spring codes, it seems wisest just to pick the springs with the highest part numbers and most recent codes, since those springs are most likely "refined" and were offered in the later years of the Viggen production. Those codes are CD-BU-.

However, Drew and BobSaabert have changed my thinking on this. Yeah, I'll just go with the Eibachs. I was worried about bottoming out if I went too low. Some of the roads around here in the South Bay are pretty rough, and there are some steep driveways close to work and home. I was being cautious on this upgrade, but it looks like too much.

As far as I can tell, the Eibachs will drop my stance by about 32 mm or so. As it is right now, with these 17 inch rims (Viggen knock-offs from Wheels & Caps), ground clearance at the side skirt is about 9 inches. So 32 mm is not going to put the stance too low.

I do plan on eventually putting a set of Viggen bumpers and side skirts on my vehicle. Even then, it sounds like I should be okay.

Thanks very much to everybody who responded.

And Drew - I'll try to make it out to the next SoCal meetup.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
SAABeginner

How did things turn out with the Eibach springs? Did you also change the shocks & struts? Did you bottom out at all?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
TSLMember

Ha...sorry, no. I got rear-ended a few months after that last posting, and before I got a chance to install all the kit, which included the Eibach springs and a full set of Konis. My car was totaled. So that ended that.

I sold off all the kit to some lucky brothers-in-Saab at a discount. Luckily, I was nearly made whole, at least on that end of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
springs, suspension, viggen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in