Turbo Upgrades - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Question Turbo Upgrades

Okay so I bought my first Saab about a month ago it is a 95 NG900, it has a B204L with Trionic 5 DI , now I know it has a Garrett T25 turbo on it but I want to just upgrade it a little bit to get some more power. I want to put a T28 on it but idk if that is a good move and if I would have to mod the APC system. lil Help please. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Elder

Most common turbo upgrade is going to be a tdo4 hl15t

There is no apc on the ng900, no mods necessary for a tdo4. Pretty much a plug and play. You'll just have to change the water and oil lines and the intake pipe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Elder

From there you can also upgrade to an 18t or 19t. There is plenty of power to be made with these turbos.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Crash View Post
Okay so I bought my first Saab about a month ago it is a 95 NG900, it has a B204L with Trionic 5 DI , now I know it has a Garrett T25 turbo on it but I want to just upgrade it a little bit to get some more power. I want to put a T28 on it but idk if that is a good move and if I would have to mod the APC system. lil Help please. Thanks.
Crash:

There's a lot you can do without changing turbos - and changing turbos will require other mods and some knowledge. You should also be thinking about suspension mods. In stock form, they don't even handle the stock power well or corner properly.

So some reading here and at Saab central. Learn a bit before thinking about swapping turbos.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

As some here have suggested, I think you would be better served to get a tune and perhaps some suspension upgrades before diving headlong into adding a turbo. A stg 3+ tune can be had on the stock turbo. In that configuration you can reasonably expect ~250whp & 260wtq. With this amount of power the car is as fast as most modern "performance" vehicles. It will also give you a taste of torque steer as power increases.
I must confess, I went stg 3 first and then suspension mods. I then rebuilt the car and did away with anything stock and/or rubber. The result was a 1000000% improvement! When I drive my friends' Saabs (same model and year as mine~ same mileage) the ride and handling are downright scary compared to my setup.
YMMV.
-Cm
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

Stage 3+ on bone stock 182k suspension is down right scary. Makes it a hoot to drive though, there is so much nose lift people always think its putting down way more power then it is.

Edit: I would recommend doing the suspension first. In my case the entire exhaust rotted off, so v2 3in DP + saabsport, the motor mounts were shot so poly all around, the trans gave up from a sudden and random leak, so the clutch was done too, the fuel pump died so a high flow model was installed and so on down the list.

Last edited by PimpMyPc; 12-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses, And yes I know I need to upgrade the suspension right now it does handle very well for it being bone stock, ( Considering I used to drive/street race an old 88 dodge dakota pickup lol) but an upgrade would help. but for suspension would you suggest lowering it or keeping the stock ride height just with better suspension components?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
Most common turbo upgrade is going to be a tdo4 hl15t

There is no apc on the ng900, no mods necessary for a tdo4. Pretty much a plug and play. You'll just have to change the water and oil lines and the intake pipe.
There is an APC on my NG900se as its a 1995 it says it on the dash turbo gauge and I have already located the APC components under the hood and the computer under the seat.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Also this turbo has 129K miles on it and I believe that it the seals are about to go. From what my friend tells me as he is trailing in my dust on the highway he know when my turbo spools because from what he tells me he see's a puff of white smoke and then I take off lol. Oh Also does anyone know how to get rid of this darned turbo fade you an watch the gauge in 3rd and 4th gear and it'll build up high and then drop down to about half boost and you can tell that the performance is lost. I am going to assume that a tune would help but is there a cheap quick way to maintain boost all the way through the rev's? Sorry for all the questions guys, like I said I am new to saab's and I like to know how much I am going to be biting off before I start.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

How is the general condition of the car? I would start by replacing your fuel filter , vac lines, spark plugs, fresh oil and filter. From there grab yourself an exhaust and a tune and you'll be good to go. It does say APC on the stock boost gauge, but your car uses Trionic 5.5 engine management. As for the turbo, like others have said the most common upgrade is the tdo4, although i'm not sure how much power you're looking to get or what the car will primarily be used for. Poly bushings, a steering rack clamp, as well as springs struts will make a world of difference in the suspension department. Good luck, and also post some pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Elder

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...521bf8aa1a89be

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Crash View Post
There is an APC on my NG900se as its a 1995 it says it on the dash turbo gauge and I have already located the APC components under the hood and the computer under the seat.
Saab retained that nomenclature for the boost control and knock sensing but it was replaced in 1994 by some elements of the Trionic engine management.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineffingp View Post
How is the general condition of the car? I would start by replacing your fuel filter , vac lines, spark plugs, fresh oil and filter. From there grab yourself an exhaust and a tune and you'll be good to go. It does say APC on the stock boost gauge, but your car uses Trionic 5.5 engine management. As for the turbo, like others have said the most common upgrade is the tdo4, although i'm not sure how much power you're looking to get or what the car will primarily be used for. Poly bushings, a steering rack clamp, as well as springs struts will make a world of difference in the suspension department. Good luck, and also post some pics.
The condition of the car is about a 6 out of 10, the mechanical are in great condition, the interior has seen better days. Other than a clutch cable breaking ( I made one for it lol ) it is all around a good car. I am primarily using the car as a Daily driver and taking it to car meets and a lil racing here and there. so I am trying to get a moderate amount of power out of it, looking about 280 or a lil more if I can do that on stock internals. and I know as soon as I can get the money I am going to upgrade the suspension components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #14

So....first things first:

If it's a 95, check to make sure that one of the previous owners updated the front control arms to the 96+ models. The front suspension was redesigned in mid-95 to improve handling and reduce bump steer, which tells you something about how craptacular the suspension is on these cars.

Adding more power to a marginal suspension just magnifies the car's problems. Fix the issues first, then add power.

In order, I'd...

-- Check the front control arms and update if necessary. You might be able to source a set from a junker (96-02) and replace the beat center bushings with poly. If you get really ambitious, replace the front strut assembly and you can have more brake size options. (The hub sizes and brake rotors were upgraded in mid year 96.)

-- Thicker rear anti-sway bar. Absolutely the best bang for the buck handling mod and makes the car feel faster in corners.

-- Check for the steering rack clamp and brace (link above). Makes the car feel less floaty and vague on the highway. It helps control torque steer so it's nice to have if you're adding power.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

You need to get this car to stage 0 before anything else

With that and a good tune will do you much more than jumping the gun and throwing a tdo4 on. That is the next step after that, and the handling stuff previously mentioned. And any tuner you try to get once you get the tdo4 will tell you this too. In adition to that hardware wise you need a better intercooler (like a viggen or old gen 93 ic) and at least a 3 inch dp or full exhaust to make it worth the better turbo

Its totally worth doing and the parts to do it can be gotten for cheap considering what youll get out of it

But you need to get your car up to snuff before this, which isnt hard with some work and the help people in the saab community will give you

Last edited by Snowcat77; 12-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
SAABeginner

Yeah I am working on it, right now I was just trying to get some information I was unemployed up untill yesterday so now I just need to get the money up so I can start doing the work and get my car to stage 0

Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
gdc
SAAB Road Master

wait did your clutch cable brake while driving , if so you need a clutch and pressure plate to get back to zero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
b204l, ng900, t25, t28, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in