Newb questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Newb questions

As some of you may know I bought a 2002 9-3 SE turbo that had a rod knock and am planing on swapping in a 204 or 234 short block. I just had a few newb questions.

1: any advantages of the 234 over the 204?
2: what are some simple worth while mods to do while the motor is out of the car?
3: I've read that the 204/234 shortblock with the t7 will lower the compression ratio, any suggestion on how to correct this?

Thanks guys I'm sure you get these questions a lot.
86 Buick Regal
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
1. The B234 will give you more displacement, which isn't a bad thing.

2. I'd pull the pan, check for sludge, metal, etc. Depending on what you want to invest possibly have it honed, replace the rings, and install new rod and crank bearings.

3. It is what it is honestly. The only way to not have that problem is to use a B205/B235. Which you have in the car that has rod knock. I'm going to assume that you haven't pulled the pan on that one yet. I'd do that before investing in another motor. Check the bearings, see how much metal there is and how bad they are. If it's not that bad replace the bearings and move on from there. Just cause there's a rod knock doesn't necessarially mean it's destroyed.

I just went through all of these thoughts in my thread (In the General 9-3/NG 900 section called The $650 2001 Saab). Ended up rebuilding the B205 that was in the car.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Thanks Joe, I haven't dropped the pan because I just picked up the car yesterday. As for the questions I'm just looking at worst case scenario. My neighbor has a 204 and a 234 that he is willing to sell me but like you said I'll have to take a look at the motor and assess the damage.

I'll take a look at your thread, thanks for the info.
86 Buick Regal

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Your neighbor has a B204 and B234 just laying around? Is he another crazy Saab guy like some of us here?
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
SAABeginner

I believe in recent years (maybe 6-7) He's had 4 saabs. Two that his kids own (one of them my long time friend) and the other two got wrecked which I think is where the motors came from. He definitely knows a lot more about saabs than me. He said he's willing to help me out on this project.
86 Buick Regal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in