Turbo Timer - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Turbo Timer

Hey all,

Can I run a turbo timer on my 97' T-5?

I'm pretty sure there is no transponder in my key and I have done the "reverse lock delete" with the shifter.

What's the scoop ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #2

"You can only buy what is sold to you." Just because you can buy it doesn't meen you need it, Nor will it improve performance in any way. The Gimmick of locking your car at the mall & walking away while its still running kinda went out of style in 1999. If you want to buy one of those Pogi bait BS accessories, Hook the timer to the Fan circuit rather than the engine at shut off. If you want to prevent turbo "Cokeing" cut a hole in the hood & turn the fans on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
gm

Yea, not needed is the scoop. Always been more of a gimmick then something that's needed.

Just stay out of the gas a minute or so before you need to turn the car off and you will be fine..... If you do get on the gas, then listen to some music for a minute or so and let the engine cool down.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The turbo is cooled by engine coolant, as long as you don't shut the car off while the turbo is spinning as fast as it can you can't hurt it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #5

Thanks Guys, All excellent answers.

Normal day to day driving I always let it sit for a minute before I shut it down.

So that's pretty much all I have to do then, Huh?....

So then (excuse my noobness, My turbo knowledge is limited.)

Were turbo timers big in the 90's because most turbo's were only oil cooled ?
And water cooled is only a Sorta new thing ?

When I was in my 20's every car had a turbo timer on it.

Last edited by bogan; 11-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
gm

I think it's always been a gimmick.... People thought they were cool leaving their car on as they walked away.

With normal driving, I never sit and let the turbo cool down unless I get on the boost for some reason within a few minutes of stopping.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Were turbo timers big in the 90's because most turbo's were only oil cooled ?
And water cooled is only a Sorta new thing ?

When I was in my 20's every car had a turbo timer on it.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Oil cooled turbos take a lot longer to cool down than water cooled.

I had a turbo timer on my 99 Turbo, but have removed it. The few times I drive it I idle it for 5 or so minutes after. Alternatively leave boost alone for the last bit of driving.

1978 99 Turbo
2000 9-3 Viggen
2002 RenaultSport Clio
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Same as above, if i pull offmfor a break on a long highway trip inlet it sit for a minute, if i feel patient under normal driving ill let it go for a bit for maybe a slight placeobo of me taking better care of it, but you probably only need to do it when youve really been getting on it. Maybe after doing a solid 80 for an hour or two its more than placebo but putzing around town no.

However, especially with a tuned car, if you get on it at night get out and you can see it glowing, and in that case its probably a good idea to let it idle a bit but it doesnt take long for the glow to stop
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Thanks Guys, All excellent answers.

Normal day to day driving I always let it sit for a minute before I shut it down.

So that's pretty much all I have to do then, Huh?....
Yeppers...you're doing it right.

Even if you blast it on the highway, just a few miles of easy driving on quiet roads will bring the temps back down. Let it idle for a minute while you gather your stuff from the car and you're all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in