tdo4-19t for the cheap - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
tdo4-19t for the cheap

If all is legit..seems like a nice deal for a 19t without any core or anything
TD04HL-19T Upgrade SAAB 9-3 9-5 2.3L Aero B235R B205R B235L Turbo Turbocharger | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
If all is legit..seems like a nice deal for a 19t without any core or anything
TD04HL-19T Upgrade SAAB 9-3 9-5 2.3L Aero B235R B205R B235L Turbo Turbocharger | eBay

Im into my 19t for $900. Wtf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
TSLMember

just watched this on ebay today....
is it worth to buy?...

Old 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Elder

turbojohnny bought of these ebay specials for his 95 sooooooo Im waiting for him to rack up some miles on it before I pass judgment. How ever I will say already that it looks like the waste gate rod is bent. Also it says the hot side is 58mm, would you say thats the 6cm or 5cm housing?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
judging by the oval nozzle on the hot side, I'd say it's a 6cm

I just have a hard time trusting any ebay specials for turbos...

I prefer to spend my $ on turbos with reliable sources. I know it's not the hardest thing to swap... but it's not something I want to make a habit of replacing.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I was looking at these before I bought my 19t off Nuham. If you see other 19t ebay auctions from china, they use the same pictures. Not that it means a whole lot but I assume those are just mass imported chinachargers. The upside is that ad says it has a year warranty and they are state side so I would assume decent return time.

I went with a freshly rebuilt genuine unit, but I got a pretty solid deal on mine with injectors.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
judging by the oval nozzle on the hot side, I'd say it's a 6cm

I just have a hard time trusting any ebay specials for turbos...

I prefer to spend my $ on turbos with reliable sources. I know it's not the hardest thing to swap... but it's not something I want to make a habit of replacing.
That and if the compressor/turbine fails, you minimum have all that metal clogging your cat, worst case it goes through the motor and destroys more than just the turbo.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I contacted all the vendors that stated they were shipped out of NC to see where they were made in hopes that they were built in the US, but it turns out they they are being built in China. When asking more specific questions, such as quality control on making these, the customer service guy just gave me the generic "it helps with performance and increases fuel economy."

Also, JZW's customer blew one of these up in 10 minutes.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Elder

I'd maybe run one, but I'd take it to a reputable shop and have it torn down and rebuilt with a good balance first.

Are these straight up rip offs then like you have with Coach bags and stuff like that? Like straight up illegal copies? Or is Mitsubishi contracting out manufacturing China?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Straight illegal copies. New turbos don't cost 1k for shits and giggles.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Elder

I get your point, but not all new turbos cost $1000. Take one apart sometime, they're actually not that complex. After the R/D sunk costs are covered it's not crazy to think that a real company could realize profit at some level selling an outsourced but still genuine 'reproduction'.

I guess Eric Holder and the rest of his questionably motivated squad is too busy prosecuting people that look like they're from umm, European background or similar, to do anything about straight-up illegal copies from China on ebay lol.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 09-09-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I get your point, but not all new turbos cost $1000. Take one apart sometime, they're actually not that complex. After the R/D sunk costs are covered it's not crazy to think that a real company could realize profit at some level selling an outsourced but still genuine 'reproduction'.

I guess Eric Holder and the rest of his questionably motivated squad is too busy prosecuting people that look like they're from umm, European background or similar, to do anything about straight-up illegal copies from China on ebay lol.
Wannabe Inner party members, "Even the ones who drive tuned saabs in Holders staff" Don't worry about the Chinese knock offs. Those are for the Proles. Nothing but the best for those who manufacture Synthetic terror.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
Wannabe Inner party members, "Even the ones who drive tuned saabs in Holders staff" Don't worry about the Chinese knock offs. Those are for the Proles. Nothing but the best for those who manufacture Synthetic terror.
Exactly, don't worry about the Chinese, silly proles *.

QUOTE=Drew in Houston;913298]I get your point, but not all new turbos cost $1000. Take one apart sometime, they're actually not that complex. After the R/D sunk costs are covered it's not crazy to think that a real company could realize profit at some level selling an outsourced but still genuine 'reproduction'.

I guess Eric Holder and the rest of his questionably motivated squad is too busy prosecuting people that look like they're from umm, European background or similar, to do anything about straight-up illegal copies from China on ebay lol.[/QUOTE]

And I agree, that guy is questionable at best, what with his need to suppress those of us who don't look like him and while he distracts the nation from looking at truly important matters..

I have no problem with people making something good for less money,

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Little cheaper here:

SAAB TD04HL-19T Upgrade 9-3 2.3L 9-5 2.3T Aero B235R B235L B205R Turbo charger | eBay

One of the guys has one on his 9-3 back in the uk. No problems so far. I'm tempted to fit one before going big again with the gt30 or new Holset

These china chargers get some bad press but I know 2 guys who ran a T3 hybrid and gt3076 with no problems....both very very quick Saabs for cheap vs my $$$$ build on my old 9k

Stage 1 9-3 vert...alive....& too
slow
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin dai View Post
Little cheaper here:

SAAB TD04HL-19T Upgrade 9-3 2.3L 9-5 2.3T Aero B235R B235L B205R Turbo charger | eBay

One of the guys has one on his 9-3 back in the uk. No problems so far. I'm tempted to fit one before going big again with the gt30 or new Holset

These china chargers get some bad press but I know 2 guys who ran a T3 hybrid and gt3076 with no problems....both very very quick Saabs for cheap vs my $$$$ build on my old 9k
That ebay link ships from Hongkong. The one the OP posted at least comes from NC, USA. While they are probably the same trubo, I'd rather have it shipped from USA with "a one year warranty", whatever that covers.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks9-3 View Post
That ebay link ships from Hongkong. The one the OP posted at least comes from NC, USA. While they are probably the same trubo, I'd rather have it shipped from USA with "a one year warranty", whatever that covers.
They are china-chargers (refer to my post above). But you're right, at least they have a warranty.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Elder

I have an ebay 19t on my 9-5 aero and with about 4k miles on the build all is well. the turbo is great. quality was impressive. end result, I'm happy. only spent about $700
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
$600 for an 18t-6 from Dave Kennedy and he milled the compressor housing for me to fit the king cobra pipe (GS charges $130 for that alone).

That is money very happily spent on my part. He is fanatical about building turbos and does everything better than they did when they built the thing new. We are talking crazy shit like milling the heat shield to set clearances and stuff I honestly don't even understand... just saying, there are other alternatives to buying the cheapest turbo you can find on ebay...

Last edited by Cark; 09-12-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Elder

I definitely didn't buy the cheapest turbo I could find on ebay. and I also got a 7cm^2 exhaust housing with my 19T
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks9-3 View Post
I was looking at these before I bought my 19t off Nuham. If you see other 19t ebay auctions from china, they use the same pictures. Not that it means a whole lot but I assume those are just mass imported chinachargers. The upside is that ad says it has a year warranty and they are state side so I would assume decent return time.

I went with a freshly rebuilt genuine unit, but I got a pretty solid deal on mine with injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
They are china-chargers (refer to my post above). But you're right, at least they have a warranty.
Yup, was saying it from the start too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dave kennedy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in