So im getting ready for winter and have decided to invest in HiDs.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Smile So im getting ready for winter and have decided to invest in HiDs..

Is this a good idea for my car? its my good old 97 saab 900. Lets say i keep the stock lenses and everything install HiD kit, will there be alot of lines on the road from the bulbs shining through the lenses? is there a aftermarket lense i can replace my glass one with? (if needed)

also, im wondering where to get HiD kits, as i never screwed around with them.

just looking to upgrade my headlights as they are stock ones.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Elder

https://www.saablink.net/forum/custom...-9-3/50150.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Ive got 8000k HIDs in my 9-3 and love them to death, I just got the standard 9003 high/low kit, when winter comes I switch them over to 3000k.

If you get them just get a Standard Ballast

Also with my car I spent the extra money and got a relay

However I didn't get a canceller and every time I turn my headlights on it says "front light failure" on my SID, no big deal in my opinion to just hit the Clear button

I have put kits in a bunch of cars and I think hidnation.com is the best place to order them from, good price, fast shipping and really good customer service.

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE

Last edited by StoneSilver; 09-04-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

Ben, your HIDs are borderline blinding in broad daylight, along with Bryan's vert.

Remove the orange relay, bend pin C2 flat and plug the orange relay back in. That will disable the filament monitor.

Don't do HIDs unless you use projectors. The ONLY cars that you can get away with slapping HID bulbs without a ton of glare is cars with factory clear lenses and the shaped "discoball" style reflectors in the back.

Last edited by PimpMyPc; 09-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

i really appreciate the replies. So basicly if im going to use the HiDs, i'm going have to retrofit H1 sockets into the stock housings, at least thats whats i intake from the retrofit thread.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

No, you can shove a $30 eBay kit into your stock housings and drive around like you own an RSX and blind everyone. Or you can do the more expensive projector retrofit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Maybe a dumb question, but how do HIDs help you prepare for winter?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but how do HIDs help you prepare for winter?
they dont, it will decrease his visibility in snow, even with projectors. i have enough eye trouble with headlights at night...but HID's SUCK in a snow storm.

bet winter lighting i ever had was one of my 9k's with all halogens using narvra golds.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
they dont, it will decrease his visibility in snow, even with projectors.
I thought that was only true with the higher K level lights such as 6-10k. But 3k should work really good in a snow storm.

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Elder

It will be better, but your still outputting a lot of light to come back at you. I've spent many years in new England winters with/without hid's...you can definitely see more with halogens.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Put some hella 500's behind ur grillE and call it a day.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Elder

to prepare for winter the best thing you can do is throw some of the actual yellow light bulbs in your fogs and maybe an extra set of yellow hellas on the bumper. make sure you have the proper yellow bulbs too. not just a yellow colored bulb but one that puts out yellow light.

putting in HIDs will only hurt you and everyone around you in the winter unless you spend the money and do it properly with the retro-fit projector setup. and then you will only hurt yourself. lol.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

well, u guys do make a good point, but my roommate (turbojohnny) says that he still has that crazy lightbar from that 99 9-3 that i can mount fogs too.

that should be good, that way i keep standard halogens, and i can have extra lights uptop for western newyork snowstorms (i obviously wont blind oncoming traffic)

should be fun
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Elder

I really miss this car, I should have fixed it after the whole railroad jumping oil pan exploding shenanigan...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

[QUOTE=turbojohnny;912939]I really miss this car, I should have fixed it after the whole railroad jumping oil pan exploding shenanigan...

Yeah, that jump was very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in