Exhaust Smoke - My 99 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
TSLMember

Exhaust Smoke - My 99 9-3

So my car started smoking a few days ago. It is releasing a blue and white smoke when hot. There is a nasty burning smell sometimes. It does not smoke at startup that I can tell. It appears that I am losing some oil and coolant via burn. No leakage to the ground. It still runs normal but maybe had some loss of boost before the smoke started. I am running on base boost now.

It smokes between shifts and when decelerating but not at idle and not when cruising. It does not smoke at WOT. It smokes when I rev it sometimes.

What say you? Iím thinking head gasket or my stock T25 turbo has failed. The head gasket was replaced 7 years ago before tuning. I have been running stage 3 at 19.5 psi for the last 2.5 years. Iíve been running it hard in the heat lately (never overheated and low speed fan works OK).

If I do a compression test and if the numbers are 180-190 psi, can I conclude that the head gasket and motor internals (pistons/rings/valves/valve seals) are good? Any other thoughts as to the cause?

Thanks,
Tony Jaworski
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
TSLMember

First guess is the you're losing the seals in the turbo.

A cheap rebuild kit for the turbo is about $60, a better solution would be a rebuilt center section.

Probably the best low cost option would be a used turbo (if it's got a warranty)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
TSLMember

Thanks - I agree, probably the turbo seals. I'm going to pull the plugs later this week, look for signs of coolant and check compression while there.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have a feeling it's your turbo. I bet it burns right in the beginning of going WOT and then returns to normal through the rest of the RPMs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
TSLMember

The compression numbers are in. Done hot w/ fuse 32 removed. 110k miles on motor. Numbers look real good so maybe time for the Big T28. I’m a little undecided since the car’s a little long in the tooth but I know I won’t be happy with another car short of a CTS-V, 335, STI or M5. Need 4 doors.

1 = 205 psi
2 = 205 psi
3 = 205 psi
4 = 200 psi
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #6

That's close to where my numbers are as well which makes me think it's your turbo even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
That's close to where my numbers are as well which makes me think it's your turbo even more.
Roger that! It did start to whine a few months ago.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
TSLMember

So my T25 is at the GPOP Shop getting rebuilt into a Big T28!

I'll be running this on lower boost (19-21 psi) until I get injectors, 3 bar map sensor and a fuel pump.

Tony
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
TSLMember

Old

New

New

Engine

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

All smoke gone?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSwede View Post
All smoke gone?
Roger that! Nice to be back on the road again
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #12

having the exact same issue with my car, havent compression tested it yet, but hoping its the same thing. Whatd the gpopshop rebuild cost if you dont mind me asking?

I have a tdo4 at home that needs a rebuild as well, so i'm up in the air about what to do lol.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
TSLMember

msg sent
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

I'll be doing the same thing this weekend when it's time for an oil change.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
TSLMember

I finally got a JZW Stage 5 ECU, Green Giant injectors and the 3 bar map sensor installed. I pulled a real amateur hour and wired the IAC to injector #1 and vise versa. This cost me a trip to the shop but it's back and running strong! Only got a few miles now but it really runs nice!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Damn! Thats a quick turnaround to a stage 5 car haha! Must go like stink!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
TSLMember

Yeah, it pulls like a freaking train. I haven't hit it that hard yet but I did give it the full goose once and the tires were screaming in second
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
once and the tires were screaming in second
Oops

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in