new to owning a saab - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
SAABeginner

new to owning a saab

I bought a intake but it seems like at over 15lbs the is a cut off of power. Does anyone know how to prevent that ? Would a tune work?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainescania View Post
I bought a intake but it seems like at over 15lbs the is a cut off of power. Does anyone know how to prevent that ? Would a tune work?
You're headed in the right direction, but you're going to need to post in a specific section for your particular model. And yes, with stock tune levels, that's about all the power you'll be able to squeeze out of it. Would suggest beefing up the rest if the car before you throw too much more boost at it.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Moderator

Moved.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Simple stage three will let you take out most cars on the road and surprise the sh!t out of the rest of them.

Depending on how far you go tuning, there are supporting modifications to keep everything safe on the engine. And like ingredient said, there are going to be other things (brakes) too keep it safe.

Give us some more insight on what you're looking to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Elder

youve definetly come to the right place.

like the others have said first step is to upgrade the car to handle more than the stock power. the NG900/OG9-3s barely handle the stock power (i used to own one) let alone higher hp etc. you might want to toss an exhaust on for now but thats about all id do before you get yourself to a good solid stage 0.

then upgrade suspension brakes and tires. then throw some more boost at it with a nice tune.

i promise if you do things in the right order you will be very happy what you get just with stage 0 and new brakes, suspension and tires. then with the tune youll have a rocket.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Stock ECUs hit a fuel cut right around 15psi. But get the car sorted before you do any performance mods, fresh filters, fluids, and vac lines all the way though the car go a long way
Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Is there a way to get around the fuel cut off? Would a tune work? I want to figure that out then go from there cause it's annoying as fuck.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Is there a way to get around the fuel cut off? Would a tune work? I want to figure that out then go from there cause it's annoying as fuck.
It's annoying as fuck because it's telling you that you don't have the fueling to match the manifold pressure. It's Trionic protecting you from yourself.

Slow your roll....ease back for a bit...figure out a bit more about the car and how Trionic works...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Stock ECUs hit a fuel cut right around 15psi. But get the car sorted before you do any performance mods, fresh filters, fluids, and vac lines all the way though the car go a long way
Exactly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Thats why im on here to figure out how to help with the issue. Fuel pressure regulator? Im just here looking for answers
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
SAABeginner

I just want to know exactly what is needed to prevent this from happening
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

Look at the answers above. 15 psi is stock boost limit that will trigger fuel cut. Dicking around with the FPR might get you more, but you'd need to be pretty precise about it if you're trying to match an external FPR with the existing boost management. It's been done before (search for posts from David in Tallahassee) but it's not recommended unless you're pretty experienced. (He used to run a speed shop, IIRC...)

AGAIN....as strongly as can be said...

The worst thing you can do is immediately try to add power without ensuring that the car is in absolute primo shape.

Buying an intake is what people from the Honda world do when buying a Saab and they immediately realize that it's not going to magically produce 25 extra ponies, despite what the guy at Pep Boys said....
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Look at your BPV to see whether the hoses are all connected.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Elder

If you are hitting fuel cut stock you either have a Boost Pressure Control Solenoid or Valve malfunctioning or have a hose going to it disconnected.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Elder

6 months

is how long I give this car before something catastrophic happens

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
6 months

Seriously though. I wanted to make big power when I got my 9-3 (my second turbo saab). After actually driving the car with some sporting intentions, I have found that the weakest link is the chassis. It is mushy, fat, and the steering can be vague and scary with torque steer.

PLEASE at least fix ALL issues with the car before you start adding power. Ive spent almost $500 after buying the car for maintenance. You really might want to upgrade suspension with at least springs and shocks to keep you on the road and your ass out of the hospital.

Have fun on your SAAB but chose your words carefully, the people on this board are educated on this subject and have great info, but SEARCH FIRST!

OK, Back to the subject. You are having a problem with fuel cut on your stock SAAB? You may have a problem that needs attention before you burn out your turbo and melt your cats.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Quote:
Straight answer: Tune.

Go big or go home...

Edit: Wait, yea, how are you hitting the 15 psi right now? boost controller?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Elder

Just sayin'...

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
6 months

heres the post in 6 months,

LOTS OF SMOKE LOUD BANG CAR WONT MOVE
I dont know what happened i was racing a motorcycle and it made a lot of black smoke and then stopped moving. how do i fix it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

seriously though,
fix everything on the car first. go to a good solid Stage 0 (this means everything is running perfectly like it just left the factory or better) then upgrade your brakes and suspension.

once you have done all of this tune the car. unless you want to get a few good runs and throw it away. in that case tune it and stop being a sissy and add some NOS. a 300 shot should do.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
SAABeginner

where in Maine are you from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in