Viggen Suspension - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What Combination of Shocks/Struts/Springs Should I use?
Stock Viggen Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts 2 9.52%
Koni Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts 8 38.10%
Eibach Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts 9 42.86%
Vogtland Sport Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts 2 9.52%
Another Combination that I Posted Below 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Viggen Suspension

Alright our Viggen has 69k on it and over winter I'm planning on doing a minimum of shocks/struts cause the ones that are on it have 60k of NJ driving and they're WORN OUT!! What are your opinions?

Things to remember.
1. This is a convertible.
2. I'd like a comfortable street ride with a little extra handling.
3. The car already has a Genuine Saab Rear Swaybar, Steering Clamp, and 6-Pt Brace.

Ok, vote!
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.

Last edited by Slow Joe; 08-10-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I am sure most will vote for what they own on their car..... and haven't tried every combo

I have koni/koni on my 5dr. Handling & ride are both far superior to stock....... I think any of the options would work better then stock. I would do some form of aftermarket springs and not use Viggen springs....

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
koni springs are made by vogtland (at least that's what i have been informed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
koni springs are made by vogtland (at least that's what i have been informed)
I'm under that impression as well

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

If the Koni and the Vogtlands are the same (since Koni doesn't actually make their own springs I believe it) I will combine the votes in the end.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Elder

I really like the Eibach/Koni combination I've ran in 2 different cars for +150k miles combined.

That said, like GM wrote, I haven't tried others, like the Koni/Koni combo. Read about sagging issues with those springs so I stayed away and spent the extra money on the Eibachs. They really do get stiffer as they compress, for times like if you're loaded for vacation or just have a a pile of stuff in the trunk it's nice not bottoming out.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #7

If you don't need the adjustability of the Konis, you might want to consider Bilstein HDs and pair those with the Eibachs.

You'll save ~$75 or so and have a great setup. (I have the Konis and love them...)
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #8

It's not that I NEED it, I want it... lol That's why I didn't put the bilsteins as a choice. I want to be able to firm them up for when I feel like spirited driving and soften them for when Kristie and her sisters take the car for a day of shopping or we decide to take it for a long road trip somewhere, etc...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
It's not that I NEED it, I want it... lol That's why I didn't put the bilsteins as a choice. I want to be able to firm them up for when I feel like spirited driving and soften them for when Kristie and her sisters take the car for a day of shopping or we decide to take it for a long road trip somewhere, etc...
Then you know what you have to do
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #10

The lowering springs are going to make the biggest difference in the feel, regardless of the dampers. Putting on lowering springs is automatically going to compromise comfort in favor of improved handling.

On the plus side for the Konis, you can set them at soft and just increase them over the years to counteract wear...
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

The vert is such a wet noodle chassis, I wouldn't push even more shakes and rattles into it with lowering springs. Stock springs and Konis for me. If the Eibachs are softer than the stock Viggen springs - which I think they may be, at least in the back - I might consider those. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Like gm said, I don't have any experience except for what I had on the NG. So, I recommend NOT Vogtland springs. The rears were almost completely compressed with nothing in the trunk. It just didn't seem quality to me.

I think there are comparison pictures out there of what the Vogtlands looks like compared to the Eibachs. Does anyone know where that is? I think that could sway most people in the correct direction.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
The vert is such a wet noodle chassis, I wouldn't push even more shakes and rattles into it with lowering springs. Stock springs and Konis for me. If the Eibachs are softer than the stock Viggen springs - which I think they may be, at least in the back - I might consider those. Good luck.
Good point, look to chassis braces? The 6 point subframe brace made a big difference for my 5 door. #Disregard this, I suck at reading the first post#

EDIT: FOUND, it says intrax though, this looks exactly like my vogtlands did though.

Last edited by Adrenaline406; 08-14-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Do you really see yourself adjusting them so often?

Fwiw, I had konis shocks/koni springs on my previous 9-3ss. Stiff as shit, horribly stiff and uncomfy. I adjusted them 2 times in two years, left them full soft. Do you realize the rears have to come off in order to adjust them? Maybe useful for a track day occasionally, but IMO set it and forget for DD duties.

I'm running eibachs on stock vig shocks (two years now), 110k miles on shocks. They just recently started getting loose, I will replace the shocks with bilsteins next spring. The ride has been greatly improved over stock, ever so slightly harsh on the big bumps tho.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I have Koni / Bilstein HD. No complaints.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Do you really see yourself adjusting them so often?

Fwiw, I had konis shocks/koni springs on my previous 9-3ss. Stiff as shit, horribly stiff and uncomfy. I adjusted them 2 times in two years, left them full soft. Do you realize the rears have to come off in order to adjust them? Maybe useful for a track day occasionally, but IMO set it and forget for DD duties.

I'm running eibachs on stock vig shocks (two years now), 110k miles on shocks. They just recently started getting loose, I will replace the shocks with bilsteins next spring. The ride has been greatly improved over stock, ever so slightly harsh on the big bumps tho.
This is actually an argument FOR the Konis.

Even if you never use the adjustable damping, you can set them full soft until you start to get more bounce than before, then tighten them to reduce it.....

Just keep doing it.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

I have a 9-3 'vert with the Eibach/Koni and roughly the same list you have (less the 6 pt right now).

I think it's outstanding like this. The Koni's let you tune it very nicely to your tastes for firmness and balance. I do find that once I get them set up for a certain combination of components, tires, and inflation that I leave it there (many years with them in the NG900).

The rear Eibach start out softer than the Viggen springs in the rear, but the top end is very high (progressive). All I can say is that it works and seems to correct many of the issues with the lame rear axle. Put it into a tight corner and it stays flat, up to the point of needing a g-suit and making your passengers motion sick. It's still not independent in the back, but it's very good.

It's also still very comfortable. The only bumps that seem more severe are those that cross the road and cause the whole front end to bounce. It recovers more quickly than stock, but it is a little abrupt in the recovery. Still, it's a small price to pay for a major improvement.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Do you realize the rears have to come off in order to adjust them?
That's not true with the Konis that I'm running on my Viggen. Just slice an access hole in the trunk carpet above the shocks, or cut along the perforation that's already there.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #19

I've got Koni/Vogtlands on my NG vert and couldn't be happier (although I still need the subframe brace...). I was afraid that Milwaukee roads would be 10x worse with the lower, stiffer ride. You will want to be more conscious of potholes and bumps, but it is not as bad as I expected. I basically re-did my entire suspension when I installed the Koni/Vogtlands, poly bushed anything that wasn't, new strut mounts, wheel bearings, the whole nine yards. It cost a chunk of change, but man, was it worth it. The car is an entirely different creature, far more predictable in the twisties.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
That's not true with the Konis that I'm running on my Viggen. Just slice an access hole in the trunk carpet above the shocks, or cut along the perforation that's already there.
That's exactly what I did, you do not need to remove them...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in