To big brakes, or not to big brakes. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

To big brakes, or not to big brakes.

Brakes are pretty much toast at this point, looking at replacement.
Is it worthwhile to source some viggen / 9-5 aero calipers and carriers, or just get some really good stock sized brake hardware? Car is a 176k 9-3 coupe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Love my big brakes on my viggen, huge improvement over stock viggen brakes. The rear I went with the 9-5 aero brakes.....

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

is the ebrake affected when you switched calipers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDSAAB View Post
is the ebrake affected when you switched calipers
I know on the ng900 you do, should be roughly similar to the 9-3. I just flipped the bracket that holds the ebrake spring, and that was it.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
Love my big brakes on my viggen, huge improvement over stock viggen brakes. The rear I went with the 9-5 aero brakes.....
So you just got 9-5 Aero rears? IIRC, the Aero fronts are the same as Viggen.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Front Viggen/Aero calipers and rotors are a great bang-for-the-buck improvement. Add some Hawk pads and a full brake fluid exchange and your good to go. Want to go a little further, grab the Aero vented rear setup and some stainless brake lines. That's what I have along with koni/vogtland springs. The car stops hard and flat, and has great balance.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Weird, the brakes were done on my car by the previous owner about 25k ago. Stopping power just isn't there. Also doesn't help I have 176k dampers on the car, nose dives on braking and shoots for the sky on acceleration.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
srp
Elder

How are your rear calipers? Make sure they aren't frozen.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
gm

I have ap racing racing front brakes on my car.

A good set of pads do help out a lot with stopping power, not as good as a big brake kit but good pads do help.

If money is tight and if your suspension is stock w/o a doubt..... At least buy some new shocks for your car, preferably with springs and just buy some good pads for stopping better. Depending on the tires you run just a good set of pads might be at the limit of your tires....

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

You haven't been in my car when I get on the brakes, have you? I have Viggen fronts with HPS pads, stock size rears with EBC Redstuff, stainless steel brake lines and super blue fluid. And it's way better. I actually think the SS braided lines were the best part of the upgrade.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Yes, do the upgrade. It's worth it. Also do you still have good feel in your pedal? Maybe the brake fluid is cooked (old)? Master cylinder calling it a day?
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #12

Going to bleed some brakes and see what happens. Pedal is solid, more solid than my Taurus. But I can just stand and put all the force I can muster on the pedal, the car nose dives bad but no ABS and the speedo just creeps down. Pedal remains firm/doesn't sink or get spongy. Stomping on the Taurus or any other car in my family yields my face in the dash and ABS pumping something fierce.

Granted I am running those really sticky hankooks, but I would expect stomping the crap out of the pedal to yield some ABS work.

What car am I really jealous of the braking power of? My dad's 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. The thing is a tank, and extra heavy at the curb from the massive battery pack in the trunk and all the traction motor bs under the hood but literally stops on a dime. One time I had to do a double foot stomp for deer in that thing and holy shitsnacks. The regenerative braking plus hydraulic brakes working in tandem caused me to brace as much as I could on the steering wheel to keep the seatbelt from cutting me in half and after I stopped I thought I was going to puke.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
lms

Brakes can never be to big, but some kits require bigger/different off set wheels. If you have the money, go for it.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
I'm betting that there is something wrong with his stock system. Even the small stock brakes have enough stopping power to lock up/engage abs at least once. Remember bigger brakes become a great advantage when high speed, continuous, or repetitive hard braking comes into play.

If I were you I would take a good look at my pads, calipers, and rotors. My money is on one or more seized calipers and/or an issue with your brake master/booster.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #15

If the car is an automatic 9-3, the vacuum booster on the right end of the head might be failing. Bad braking is an early symptom of that.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
I'm betting that there is something wrong with his stock system. Even the small stock brakes have enough stopping power to lock up/engage abs at least once. Remember bigger brakes become a great advantage when high speed, continuous, or repetitive hard braking comes into play.

If I were you I would take a good look at my pads, calipers, and rotors. My money is on one or more seized calipers and/or an issue with your brake master/booster.
This.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
If the car is an automatic 9-3, the vacuum booster on the right end of the head might be failing. Bad braking is an early symptom of that.
3 Pedals and 5 speeds here. Can't rule out the master cylinder itself but the booster is good, holds vacuum for some time and can get a couple pumps before its rock hard.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
srp
Elder

Don't just bleed. Do a full fluid exchange.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #19

Viggen/Aero 308mm front brakes & 9-5 Aero 300mm vented rears require at least 16" rims. You will also need a 16" spare. Worth wile upgrade.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #20

Have a full set of 17in OZ Racing rims. There's plenty of gap around the rotors LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in