eibachs and bilstein viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

eibachs and bilstein viggen

hey guys, I was thinking of running the eibach pro kit springs with the Bilstein B8 sport struts. It would be on a 99 viggen. Does anybody have experience with this set up, or suggestions? I can get the bilsteins for the front for 130 each which is one reason I'd go with those. Would konis be worth this price difference?

On a cheaper note, does anybody have experience with the eibachs with KYB struts?

Anything is going to be better than my current set up, which is 4 blown out shocks, and blown out strut mounts and blown out bearings. probably some blown out ball joints. Car is parked due to how annoying it is to drive.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

KYB's won't stand up to upgraded springs. Get the 'steins or konis.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Im rockin koni springs and KYb struts for a year now in florida and im happy as can be <3 got both front shock for like 80$ after ocoupons at Autozone

Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I did the Eibach springs with Koni adjustables when they had the sale. Amazing set-up and perfect height.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Im rockin koni springs and KYb struts for a year now in florida and im happy as can be <3 got both front shock for like 80$ after ocoupons at Autozone
Florida and other sunbelt states with good roads are the only places where this would work, and even then, not for as long as a recommended combo of lowering springs and good dampers. The issue really isn't whether it will work -- it will -- but for how long. I lived in Florida for 12 years. If you're cruising around Florida where there are no hills, few potholes, and lots of straight roads, then the KYBs will probably last twice as long as they would up in the Northeast or upper midwest...

If I was driving there on lowering springs, I'd definitely run Sachs, Bilstein or Koni
Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscowned View Post
I did the Eibach springs with Koni adjustables when they had the sale. Amazing set-up and perfect height.

Just made the same Koni/Eibach upgrade on the Viggen and I couldn't be happier. Love the ride height, too!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab_1999 View Post

Just made the same Koni/Eibach upgrade on the Viggen and I couldn't be happier. Love the ride height, too!
Me too. Can't say enough about how good it is now. Add in the rear bar and a poly steering bushing or rack brace. You almost need a G suit around corners. Amazing transformation for this suspension compared to the same setup with stock springs.

Last edited by BobSabbert; 06-26-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

I have Bilstein Sports all around with the Eibach Pro Kit springs. I like it a lot. I went back and forth between that and the Koni setup for a long time before doing it. The thing is, I have no need to adjust anything and I want a stiff, sporty ride 100% of the time. I was under the impression that the Koni setup on the stiffest setting would be about equal to my setup or maybe not even quite as stiff, so I went the other way. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out, but I haven't actually driven a car with the Koni setup so I can't say for sure.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I have Bilstein HD's and Koni springs. The Koni's are a hair lower than Eibach springs. The Bilstein shocks are just cheaper because they are not adjustable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Anybody have advice on the difference between the bilstein B6 (HD) and the B8 (Sport) shocks w/ eibach springs?

Also, does anybody out there have any used springs or struts out there? I have an add in the wanted section too.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #11

HD is recommended for daily drivers on variable roads, and fine for occasional track use. Sports are harder and best suited for track and/or cars with stiff suspensions driven on smooth roads...

Both will work with any lowering springs.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

According to Bilstein; HDs are for stock height springs and Sports are for lowering springs.

Bils. Sports are supposed to be stiffer than HDs.

HDs with Vogtlands on my NG don't feel quite right to me. Setup seems too harsh for regular daily driving. Not sure if it is overdamped.
Backroad handling is decent.

Konis w Eibachs on a Viggen seem to ride better imo.

Can't really give a handling comparison/impression btwn the two setups.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

I have the HDs on my Viggen (no lowering, stock springs) and I'm very happy with them. They are a bit rough on warm-up in winter but shine with dips in the roadway at high speed, maintaining control and posture. I find they over-amplify the cracks in pavement and small potholes but I guess that is because they are firmer. Definitely improve the handling and control of the car.

Never had a chance to compare them to the Konis but the fact that Koni doesn't list a shock for the Viggen scared me off....and the idea of dialing in my shocks....really, how often would I play with that?

Last edited by RBatsch; 07-18-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaedge View Post
Anybody have advice on the difference between the bilstein B6 (HD) and the B8 (Sport) shocks w/ eibach springs?

Also, does anybody out there have any used springs or struts out there? I have an add in the wanted section too.

sports have shorter rods so they get full suspension travel on lowered cars.
This is important if you're lowering it as much as you can. sports have different valving, too.

short description:
on slow/long travel damping, they are awesome. they have amazing around-town feeling. you'd hardly know they're upgraded.

on fast/short travel damping, they are significantly more stiff.
when on the highway, you will feel MUCH more of the inconsistancies of the road. It's stiffer, and you'll know it.

For me, I LOVED it. I had Sports with B&G springs and GS's thickest swaybar. If I could have put sports in my 850, I would have, but they're not available. The next time I replace the struts in the Wagon they're going sports as well. (unless I go XYZ coilovers)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatsch View Post
Never had a chance to compare them to the Konis but the fact that Koni doesn't list a shock for the Viggen scared me off....and the idea of dialing in my shocks....really, how often would I play with that?
Viggen are the same as the 9-3 for and struts or shocks. Only restriction is that you don't want downgraded (i.e. KYB) with the stiffer Viggen springs.

I adjust my shocks any time I change anything else suspension oriented, including tires or tire pressures. Once I get it dialed in the way I like I tend to leave it alone. However, there is a big difference between various settings with the front or rear stiffer or with them matched. I find that I usually run the rears softer. Seems to help with our primitive rear suspension.

Konis don't damp much on compression, only rebound. I understand that 'steins have strong compression damping plus rebound, but I haven't actually fooled with any in a long while.

Last edited by BobSabbert; 07-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
DEW
TSLMember

I'm happy with Bilstein HDs on Eibach springs. The ride is certainly rougher on uneven pavement, but the handling is so much better overall (I have the 22mm rear bar also).

I went Bilstein because they are high quality, and I didn't need adjustable suspension. Given the labor expense of replacing shocks/struts, it also made sense to buy a brand that would last. The strut bearings were replaced at the same time. I didn't consider KYB.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Bringing this back...

Front wheel bearings just kicked the bucket, so a slew of new suspension parts is in order. I just talked to Bilstein and the rep recommended the HD (B6) for the Viggen.

My question is, combined with the Eibach pro-kit, is there any lowering whatsoever? Will it at least even out the rake? Judging by Saabehs pic, it seems like yes, but hard to tell...

Seeing as I'm about to turn a $200 repair into a $1000 project, I want to make sure I go in the right direction.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Koni/Vogtland dropped the front of my viggen a little over an inch, the rear about 2. Eibachs are slightly less than that, say 1" front, 1.5" rear.

Bilstein HDs are notorious for being pretty stiff. Personally, I'd stick with Konis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Koni/Vogtland dropped the front of my viggen a little over an inch, the rear about 2. Eibachs are slightly less than that, say 1" front, 1.5" rear.

Bilstein HDs are notorious for being pretty stiff. Personally, I'd stick with Konis.
But, worth it for nearly $300 more? I don't really need the adjustability, and I'm still putting myself through college, so the tight-wad mindset is in effect...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The luxury of being able to adjust your shocks is only good if you actually adjust them. My Viggen handles fine with the cheaper shocks and lower springs.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in