stock boost specs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
TSLMember

stock boost specs

So on a stock b205l (us version) says its a 185hp low pressure turbo. I cant find any of the stock specs on what the turbo boost pressures are. what is stock base boost on the gt17 turbo in this car? What is peak boost?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Well on the 204l 185hp cars with the T25 it was about 8psi in 1st and 2nd then 11-12psi for 3rd-5th.

Thing about the T7 though is that it's more programmed to deliver a specific output, not pressure. So on hotter days or higher elevation, the car will adjust the psi output of the turbo to get the desired power level.

So in short, it varies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
TSLMember

thanks for the info. Im seeing a base boost of about 2psi maybe 3psi. i tested by holding break while going wide open throttle in 3rd gear. my guage read 2.5psi base and peaks at about 6 or 7psi. in 5th on freeway i might see 9. but thats it.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
TSLMember

im really just trying to get the car to complete stock spec before i start tuning. think im going to go thru what saab says to do to set base boost and call it a day. jzw looks like the most cost effective way to do a stage one remap.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Are you meeting your mReq?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
TSLMember

By "mReq" do you mean input output signals from sensors? I have been working on cars all my life. This is my first Saab so some of this im learning as i go. I started by testing the turbo and for boost leaks. Found a few leaks and took care of them. Installed a boost gauge to see what turbo is really doing. I removed the vacume line that gose from wastegate to BPC valve to see if my turbo can go full boost. Test went well. Turbo went deep in the red on stock gauge. Went very easy on it as to not hurt anything. I need to do test again now that i have a true boost gauge hooked up. I tapped it into the vac line from manifold to BOV control valve. (i think thats right). But off topic... From there i tested the EVAP one way valves by plugging the R hose on the BPC. Car ran much smoother with that hose plugged. Before it had a tiny stumble at idle. So i checked all the other systems as well. Put new spark plugs in it... The correct NGK resistor type plugs. Previous owner did not have the correct plugs in it. He also ignored allot of issues. I fixed a PCV issue where old owner had used duck tape to hold the valve cover vent hose together. Also fixed a leaking oil pressure sending unit. (not fun). Replaced valve cover to throttle body one way valve. Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. As well as cleaning BPC with carb cleaner. Did an oil change with Mobile 1, 0W-40 full synthetic. as of right now car runs well. But only well. I dont feel like its coming up to full boost... Or that Base boost is correct. I heard you are supposed to take wastegate arm off the leaver and lengthen it till it fits right on the leaver arm. Then turn the rod in 2 full turns and thats supposed to be close to factory settings. I have not done this. I think previous owner tried to get more boost by shortening the wastegate rod. I also heard this is not good. Like i said i just want it as stock as possible before i call JZW. So What sensors should i test? O2, air intake temp, air charge temp, MAF, coolent temp,? Any other sensors you can think of? Dose anyone know what the ranges for these sensors should be? I would just Love to know what Saab says base boost and peak boost on the B205L should be stock. Im going to change MTF tomorrow with Redline MT-90 as well as putting a fresh fuel filter in. Anyone have any other suggestions on anything else i should do before a tune let me know. Or any input at all is great. Im learning something new everyday with this car. Amazing piece of engineering. Thanks all!!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
mreq is a parameter in the ECU.
It's been a while, but It's either the torque request, or the air request. (I believe it's torque)
Honestly, you wouldn't know the answer unless you had an unlocked ECU that showed you the OBDII info on the SID.

our cars are torque-request, which means the ECU will make whatever changes to boost/fuel/spark needed to meet a specific output (as stated above)
you can view what the car's looking to do by getting into the ECU Via the SID, and seeing what the car's requesting for airflow. you can see what the car's requesting, and what it's getting.
Same with torque. you can see what the car's trying to meet for calculated torque, and what it thinks it's making.

Being able to see these will allow you to diagnose problems a little easier.

Bottom line, is that there isn't a set amount of boost. If you're knocking, you'll see almost none. If you're in really thin air, you'll see a lot. It's in the design. you'd be best to pull the line off the wastegate actuator, and pressurize the WG to see where your turbo is for base boost.

Lastly, if you plan on modifying the ECU with a stock gt17, have a td04 handy. you will not have a good gt17 for long.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
TSLMember

Understood... Being the fact that i cant reach over 8psi at any point i am starting to think the BPC is bad. I understand that the Torque On Demand program that the T7 system is running is constantly changing boost along with other things to give me what it thinks i need. I guess what i am questioning is if there is something off in the system (mechanical or electrical) if its not capable of producing peak boost. Being that i do not have a check engine light it all must be inside the parameters that the ecu is set for. If i plug W hose to C hose that should force base boost ya? then i could compare it to what the car is doing now. In response to your last statement is there anything i can do to help the gt17 handle the ecu remap? From what i can find the car makes 185hp and around 200flbs when its all running correct. Im not interested in 300hp ya know. Would be happy with 200hp. Its a fairly heavy car and want it to be a bit more peppy. Is there someone else that would be better suited to a tune like that? Would love it if there was a tuning shop that could tune my car locally but i have not been able to find anyone in the Sacramento CA area that can tune T7. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
TSLMember

Just looked at your location G96T. Your in Nap town Maryland. Thats to funny. i grew up in Annapolis. Whent to Annapolis high school. Class of 2000. Wow... Small world...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
mreq is a parameter in the ECU.
It's been a while, but It's either the torque request, or the air request. (I believe it's torque)
It's air mass.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
TSLMember

Yes that had crossed my mind. I did clean the MAF with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. I have to admit that I did not see a diff at all. Today I just got thru with replacing the fuel filter and flushing the manual transmission then filling with Recline MT-90. Trans feels great not to mention that the mtf fluid stopped leaking from diff seal. See how long that lasts....After I was done with that I went thru base boost setting and cleaned out the BPC really well. Reset the ECU and took it for a spin. Glad to say that for now under the right conditions the boost is getting up to 11psi. In my book that's as good as im gonna get. Thanks for all your help and i'll keep you updated on the next few steps. Gotta replace drivers side(us model) inner drive shaft bushing. Not looking forward to it. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in