Bad bearings = new engine block - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Bad bearings = new engine block

Well, for those of you at SOC '05, you know that I spun some bearings at the convention which set me back a bit, but in the end gave me a chance to rebuild some things and change the design. Here are some pics of the bad bearings, but first a nice pic of the car:

Also, here are some pics of the car with the new engine installed. I took the time to make things shinnier than ever.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
So did you do anything major on the cyliners? pistons or bearings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #3

good god, that's beautiful....

Old 10-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
sucks about the bearings....but I guess any excuse to upgrade is a good one

That car is truley amazing, I love seeing that engine bay it is so cleanly done.

It is truely a beauty and a beast!
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
That. Is. Sick.

I mean, really.

Oh yeah, too bad about the bearings.

Wow.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Elder

Time to take that Saab to the tracks and start laying some rubber and making some numbers
for your repair needs
Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

The bottom end was purposefully kept stock as a sort of proof of theory. People are always saying that they have problems with the bottom end of the stock engine, but I would like to prove that if you manage detonation, you can take it to about 500 hp. I will post the dyno sheets soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Sweet.

Nice goal.

Now I have pics to show the wife.

"Please honey?"

"Stainless hoses for x-mas?"
Old 10-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
Elder

Hey Kevin,

I was wondering about this, the car sounded pretty bad on the trailer. Glad you are getting this sorted out. Have you ever thought about going with a stand alone engine management system in your car. Is it getting tiresome having to keep waiting to get your ECU tuned again and again?
Cant wait to see thoes dyno numbers when you get them, nice work. Makes me want to get my bay that clean every time i look at your car.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Any dyno sheets? Love to know what a beauty like that turns out!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via MSN to Passion4_900
How do you end up with "bad bearings"? Would it be from not enough oil changes, bad oil, not enough oil.... anything oil related? How did it come to this?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to mg_td
the engine was brand new hand built by yankmaster himself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

238.8 whp 272.1 wtq
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #13
a12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Yeah bearings don't usually spin for no reason,there must not have been enough oil going there or the bearing clearance was too tight,Did you find out why it spun?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

There was an internal oil leak in the rear balance shaft bearing that had been pressed to block the oil passage. In the new block, I just left the balance shafts in place and pulled the chain. Now, I have around 25psi at idle and range up to 75 psi.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinY
There was an internal oil leak in the rear balance shaft bearing that had been pressed to block the oil passage. In the new block, I just left the balance shafts in place and pulled the chain. Now, I have around 25psi at idle and range up to 75 psi.
Kevin, I have removed the balance shaft chain in the motor that I have been building for my 1991 9000, I did not take the shafts out for reasons of oil pressure, however I was not totally sure how to deal with the tensioner. What I did was make a blanking plate out of copper and just bolted it behind the tensioner housing. Is this along the line of what you have done? I am just looking for reassurance, I don't want to have oil pressure issues resulting in needing to prep a new block to rebuild.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

A cover plate is a good way. I just tapped the tensioner hole and put an 11mm bolt in there. Done!!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Awww ... a whole thread about a spun bearing and no pictures of the bearing that spun?

How close were your measurements of bearing-journal clearance to the spec Saab actually calls for anyway and which bearings did you use? Just the Saab factory set?

Car looks pimp now with that shiney new engine. Get it to a dyno and show all the rest of us how to get things done!

-Adrian
Old 10-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #18
JK
Elder

Looks to me like he posted pictures of the spun bearing...see the 3rd and 4th picture on his original post. It shows where the bearing gouged the block on the 3rd photo, and shows the bearing (still on the crankshaft) in the 4th photo.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s
Looks to me like he posted pictures of the spun bearing...see the 3rd and 4th picture on his original post. It shows where the bearing gouged the block on the 3rd photo, and shows the bearing (still on the crankshaft) in the 4th photo.
Ahhh. You're right. In the fourth photo I mistook the bearing for the journal because of the color. But in the fifth photo you can see the seperation of the two bearing halves.

Pretty embarrassing to make that mistake as I have a C900 crankshaft sitting right next to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in