Lighten up my flywheel - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Lighten up my flywheel

Hey there all,

I'm pulling out my gearbox again in a few weeks, my viggen clutch disk shit it's self.
I'm going to try a 6 puck.

I'm going to get the fly wheel machined again and thought I might get a bit of weight taken of the back.

Does anybody how much I can get taken off without causing any drama?

Has anybody else done this?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #2

A couple of folks have had the flywheel milled...You can easily shed a few pounds off the back. There's a raised center portion that makes no sense, except to add mass for smooth shift transitions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Hey there all,

I'm pulling out my gearbox again in a few weeks, my viggen clutch disk shit it's self.
I'm going to try a 6 puck.

I'm going to get the fly wheel machined again and thought I might get a bit of weight taken of the back.

Does anybody how much I can get taken off without causing any drama?

Has anybody else done this?

Cheers
In what way? I ask because I have reason to suspect my viggen PP/disk is failing with the stg 5+ tune. I have to figure out if it's the tires or clutch that is slipping at higher revs-hard to tell...
-Cm

Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
In what way? I ask because I have reason to suspect my viggen PP/disk is failing with the stg 5+ tune. I have to figure out if it's the tires or clutch that is slipping at higher revs-hard to tell...
-Cm
My Viggen disk/pp slipped last weekend.

If its your clutch that's slipping you get a filthy smell of the disk (like stinky pussy)
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i usally lighten ng flywheels 4-6lbs,, i think thats the sweet spot. If you go to light the car sucks to drive

Mike
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I had about 5 pounds shaved off my non-vig b204 IIRC. No drama in the last 30k miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i usally lighten ng flywheels 4-6lbs,, i think thats the sweet spot. If you go to light the car sucks to drive

Mike
Hey Mike, please excuse my noobness,

Why does the car suck to drive if the flywheel is to light?
What happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
I had about 5 pounds shaved off my non-vig b204 IIRC. No drama in the last 30k miles.
Thanks guys, That's what I wanted.

I'll go 5lb
Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
I think the revs will drop too fast, and you'll have to constantly be rev-matching the gear-changes. I'm just guessing.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post
I think the revs will drop too fast, and you'll have to constantly be rev-matching the gear-changes. I'm just guessing.
Bingo

Lightening the flywheel makes a turbo car rev faster and so come on boost faster, however the opposite will also happen i.e. revs drop quicker and you a quick drop off of boost which make gear changes suck.

1978 99 Turbo
2000 9-3 Viggen
2002 RenaultSport Clio
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

I should add, the lightness of the flywheel should be proportionate to the time spent at WOT. e.g. a drag car sill have a super light flywheel (as always at WOT). However a car you drive on the road won't spend that much time at WOT (traffic, etc).

1978 99 Turbo
2000 9-3 Viggen
2002 RenaultSport Clio
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #11

That's good info Brendan.

Maybe I should just leave my flywheel standard ?

After all, it is just the car that gets me to work and back.

Or as mike D & poison beef added 5lb's is the sweet spot ?

Thoughts....
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
when the flywheel gets too light, you also have to rev it very high to start from a stop, hill starts become a royal pain,, This will lead to you burning out your clutch quicker as well
Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

I have a fidanza lightweight flywheel on my previous car (fiance's car now) and it is great - heavy flywheels help make driving smoother but the engine feels much less responsive.

Revs do drop faster but just tap the gas lightly to bring them back up - you'll get used to it and the responsiveness is more than worth it.

I'd say the clutch affects drivability much more, like my 9-3 with a stage 3 clutch and stock flywheel is more "difficult" I'd say compared to a lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch car...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
I have the lightweight spec flywheel and standard viggen clutch and it revs quite nicely while still being able to start relatively easy. I do notice coasting in neutral does require more of a blip from the throttle to get back into gear, but that's not really a big deal imo.

However, people at the inspection station always stall it multiple times.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
lms

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
I have a fidanza lightweight flywheel on my previous car (fiance's car now) and it is great - heavy flywheels help make driving smoother but the engine feels much less responsive.

Revs do drop faster but just tap the gas lightly to bring them back up - you'll get used to it and the responsiveness is more than worth it.

I'd say the clutch affects drivability much more, like my 9-3 with a stage 3 clutch and stock flywheel is more "difficult" I'd say compared to a lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch car...
I have a fidanza as well and what is good about those wheels is that they have a steel friction plate which is replaceable.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
You will usually hear that shaving a few pounds off the back of the flywheel doesn't produce that much of a difference is driving characteristics. So I'd look at that as an option.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post
You will usually hear that shaving a few pounds off the back of the flywheel doesn't produce that much of a difference is driving characteristics. So I'd look at that as an option.
I'll do that
Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
TSLMember

If you like to heel and toe get a spec flywheel or equivalent. I personally prefer a light fly, and enjoying banging through the gears on a twisty road.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #19
TSLMember

Removing the balance chain also makes it like having a light fly so I wonder how it is to have both light fly and no balance chain? Never been much of heal and toe guy but I am starting and I really nailed it the other day. I find I need good shoes (Pilotis).
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I took 4lbs off my stock flywheel when I installed a Viggen Clutch/PP combo on my Stg3 B204. It revs noticeable faster and is perfectly streetable.

A tad more revs required on a hill start and a touch of gas on the down shifts. But, I have always tended to heel/toe my shifts.

I spent $80 to have the flywheel resurfaced and lightened. The Fidanza was around $400. No way was that worth it unless you are building a race car, and we all know how silly NG900/OG9-3 race cars are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in