Needs teh coldz! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Needs teh coldz!

Gentlemen; I need the BCPR8ES's, not k, not IX, not bpr, effin BCPR8ES-9, preferably! Aside from ordering from across the pond, where might I find these treatsies? I'm running into knock issues with the stupid BCPR7es 11's, especially with the heat. Also, I am going W/M; will these be too cold for W/M?
Thank you, and merry boosting!
-Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
I had to order from across the pond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
i need them for my car too and i run w/m
just never ordered a set, since i dont drive that hard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Would we then concede that the 7's are too hot? I am of the conviction that they are. Sufficient for winter boostin' but not for summer fun
Can anyone tell me what to expect with the colder plug? The only other people to run these plugs are the DSM guys, and they say even the 9's would work for boost over ~23 psi. JZW says there are more warm-up/off boost issues--this true?
Thanks,
-Cm
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I ran them in my viigen for a year, cold as hell in chicago, and didn't experience any issues. I do believe they allowed my car run a tad better while on boost, but not enough to justify the price and time it took to find them. Not sure why they are not available in the states except from GS. But they might help high boosted cars.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
I use the 8's, which were described as the recommended plug for "highly tuned Trionic applications... a cooler plug than the standard BCPR7ES-11... beneficial alternative for highly tuned variants" ("except for newer Saab 9-3 Sports Saloon/Combi/Convertible models from 2003 onwards").

I ordered them from ElkParts - who are now out of business. I don't know where I will find them again, but will probably be from an overseas supplier.

It gets cold and warm here in the DC area. I notice that there is definitely better performance on the cooler days (duh), but I don't notice any horrible side effects on the warmer humid days. Have had the plugs in for a year.

Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.

Last edited by rarelibra; 05-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

Ambient temp has a very obvious effect on the density of the mixture.... but wouldn't the effect on combustion temps be inverse to the ambient temp?

Last edited by BobSabbert; 05-03-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Ambient temp has a very obvious effect on the density of the mixture.... but wouldn't the effect on combustion temps be inverse to the ambient temp?
To some extent. If I am understanding your point;colder, denser air DOES yield a bigger boom, as there is more Oxygen. This also leads to more boost and higher effective compression ratio. However, cold air corresponds to knock tendency only to a point. After that, the compensatory effect of the cooler charge means your peak charge temp @ TDC , is lower, which in turn leads to a lesser entropy of the fuel and as such a lesser tendency to spawn multiple flame fronts. When the weather gets warmer, the intercooler works less efficiently in conjunction with a turbo working harder to get the same pressure from the thinner air. Consequently, when the charge gets to the cylinder it is even hotter than the additive effect of solely higher ambient temp would entail by itself. This means that when you add adiabatic compression heating, you have a mixture that is near auto-combustion, let alone setting off multiple flame fronts.
The summer weather makes the car run so poorly, and as a consequence makes me so angry, that I have contemplated moving to a cooler clime. True story
-Cm
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Elder

No matter what summer is not a time to get full performance from a tuned saab. The heat is too much of a hindrance. I always look forward to cool fall temps. good luck finding the plugs you need, for a good price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in