Will it fit? (Intercooler) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Will it fit? (Intercooler)

I know there are a million threads about this, but haven't seen one with this size.

28"x9"x2.75" -- Will it fit behind my ng900 bumper?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
No, 9" is too tall

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

https://www.saablink.net/forum/genera...tion/59758.htm

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE

Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Half way through this thread it is stated that 9" would fit...

Last edited by Shaner3721; 03-31-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

9' would be to high.
I have a 7' in mine and 8' would be the max.
But you need to raise the AC receiver dryer *Carefully*
Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner3721 View Post
Half way through this thread it is stated that 9" would fit...
I posted the original thread. The guy who made the comment about the 9" IC posted that he was going to try a 9' one, but I don't think he ever posted whether he was successful or not.

You don't want the IC to dip below the bottom of the front radiator support crossmember, which is where the plastic undertray mounts -- and where you'll have a little bit of protection from curbs and parking wheel stops. Even though a bar-and-plate IC is pretty robust, it's still made of aluminum and you don't want to ding it too hard against something concrete.

Several people have relocated or deleted the AC dryer components, and then ran much taller ICs.

EDIT: With a stock setup, you're limited by the 8.25-8.5" distance between the AC receiver dryer at the top, and the oil cooler hard lines at the bottom. If you remove the oil cooler lines, you might be able to squeeze a 9" IC into the space. An 8" IC is a more common size, so you'll have more luck finding suitable width and length combos.

EDIT: If big power is in your plans, then you might want to consider AC dryper removal since you'll probably be ditching the AC system anyway. If that's the case, you can remove the AC condenser coils (smaller radiator in front of the actual engine radiator) and run a 4" thick core that's 18" high. One of the guys in Finland did that with his 500+ whp car.

EDIT: Also....a 28x8x3 IC is more than enough for nearly any turbo you're going to use with a street car. Consider that a reasonable upper size limit. Even coming down a few inches in length would still provide ample charge air cooling, have less of a pressure drop, and would be easier to fit.

Last edited by mike saunders; 04-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
28x8x3.5 | eBay

now pick one that is actually a bar and plate intercooler
edit: there are only two and they are bout $115

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating

Last edited by grkguy89; 04-01-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

This is why I am asking...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
This is why I am asking...
It likely WILL NOT fit in a stock setup. It will probably dip down below the lower radiator cross member. You'll have difficulty refitting the plastic undertray. Your intercooler will have its bottom vulnerable to dings.

It WILL fit if you relocate your AC dryer OR you can remove or relocate your oil cooler lines.

There's a reason both the Forge and ETS units are the dimensions they are.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
CXRacing INTERCOOLER 28x8x3.5 Talon Civic RX7 CRX Supra | eBay

Buy this one.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
Quote:
I know there are a million threads about this, but haven't seen one with this size.

28"x9"x2.75" -- Will it fit behind my ng900 bumper?
First post...

Asked and answered in following post. Awesome.

Edit: more "A's"
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Elder

I hate to be an ass, and so critical. but there is a big difference between the annotation of " and '

just sayin...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

So, I am planning on relocating the oil cooler anyway... Is there any benefit to adding the additional 1in in the height if I am losing the 3/4in in the depth? I realize that the total surface area will be a little smaller, but is the height more important than the depth?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Height is more important than depth. The frontal area is the main cooling zone.

That said...an 8" IC is plenty big.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

That was what I was thinking, but if I'm switching up the oil cooler anyway I may as well go with a little more height since it fits... right?

Appreciate the help!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Consider that while frontal area is great, there are two things you're going to run into.

1) The IC is going to start to go behind the bumper as we increase height, then the frontal area is not being increased.

2) Too bit = too much pressure drop. You'll have to compensate with more boost pre-IC to get the same boost post-IC. Like almost everything else in the automotive world, there is a happy medium.

Fortunately this bumper comes off with 2 bolts (okay the headlights too) but it's damned quick. Start with removing the grill and make some measurements. If I remember correctly there are people who have gone big enough with IC's to run into issues hitting the headlights (they removed AC components). So keep an eye out for that.

GLHF! (Good luck! Have fun!) (And with regards to your title: That's what she said )

Last edited by Adrenaline406; 04-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Cameron,

Thanks for your input on the subject. I have considered both your thoughts and I can understand the concern of it being behind the bumper, but I still think more frontal area will be beneficial as it is not like no air will get to it even if part of it is behind the bumper. Also, as for size, the one I am currently looking at is 28x9x2.75 so it is a little thinner which means it is actually a hair smaller than the average size ebaycooler people use around here (I believe a lot of people get 3 or 3.5 thick).

Agreed, I will have to measure it out and then have a go at it!

And thanks, I now appreciate the humor in the title of the thread
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I think on Jesse's 900, we went big.. like 20" tall big or something. I think he had removed the a/c completely, though.
It happened to be an IC I had kicking around from my eclipse, and with piping I had kicking around, it worked well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in