My Engine Rebuild - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

My Engine Rebuild

As some of you may already know, I am going to be rebuilding a 1997 9000 2.3L turbo engine. I picked it up a few weeks back and have started the teardown process. I have not gotten very far as I do not currently live where I am storing the engine, but that will be changing over the next 2 months. This will end up going into my NG900.

Currently I am planning to go with a top mount gt3071. In this process I also plan to shave the engine bay and repaint it (color suggestions welcome).

Pictures...

Picked this up about 5 hours north of me and brought it back (For only $150!):

Got it up on the engine stand:

Drained it and pulled the oil pan:

Removed DIC and Valve Cover:

I'll be updating as I go. Wish me luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

how many miles were on the engine? did the PO give you any details? hows the bearings, crank and bore?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevierSaabOG93 View Post
how many miles were on the engine? did the PO give you any details? hows the bearings, crank and bore?
Didn't get a ton of details, but he did mention the engine had 260,000 miles.

I haven't torn down the engine far enough to get a good look at the bearings, crank or bore.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

yeah i thought it looked like a high mileage motor with all that oil burn. but for a 150 as long as there isn't any piston slap it should be a good block to rebuild. good luck. i had a motor that had some serious rod knock so i neglected it. left it out in the rain assuming it was completely smoked. only to later find out that it wasn't too bad. shame on me. don't make the same mistake.

Last edited by SevierSaabOG93; 03-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Questions for those who really understand cams...

So, I have pretty much all but decided for certain that I am going to the top mount gt3071 route. I currently have a n/a 2.3 b234i engine in my ng900s with a t25 turbo and the trionic system running on it. And the engine that I am rebuilding is a 2.3 b234Turbo from a 9000. I don't want to drop the money for enem cams currently based on the fact that I am already spending enough to get the gt30 and supporting hardware.

I have a buddy (jpgroth) who is driving a 2000 9-5 aero wagon and wants a better set of cams. He currently has the base model td04, but hopes to upgrade that soon.

At some point I will probably be interested in the enem cams so I need to know which set would benefit jpgroth's 9-5 more, the t5 or na cams? And then can either of them go in my build and not limit my power too much?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Update:

Pulled the cams last night and I'm hoping to take the head off next week.

Also purchased some goodies from itsaviggn (gt3071, top mount mani and dp). Those should be arriving on TUESDAY!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Parts came today!

Gonna pull the head tomorrow
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

wow nice score. i wish i had the money for that stuff.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

thanks!

Hopefully the cash keeps flowing so I can get this build done and in the car
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

some have run enem cams others say the aftermarket cams wear quicker. t5 cams should work fine for the time being and would also be an upgrade for the t7's in the aero. what pistons and rods are you going to run on this build and how much boost are you going to run?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
some have run enem cams others say the aftermarket cams wear quicker. t5 cams should work fine for the time being and would also be an upgrade for the t7's in the aero. what pistons and rods are you going to run on this build and how much boost are you going to run?
I'm gonna start out with the n/a cams and see what kind of performance/range they offer.

As for pistons and rods - I'll be doing a set of Wossner's and stock conrods.

Haven't really decided how moderate or crazy of a tune I want yet. I'm currently leaning toward moderate because this is my daily so I don't need to be shredding gears and breaking shafts
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

shot peen the rods at the very least. i guess pauter makes some. cam specs - cam specs
genuine saab
GS Cam specs
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
shot peen the rods at the very least. i guess pauter makes some. cam specs - cam specs
genuine saab
GS Cam specs
Where do you get this stuff? All of the big tuners run or ran stock rods to ridiculous power levels. Nick T just found his to fail at ~700whp IIRC.
-Cm
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Where do you get this stuff? All of the big tuners run or ran stock rods to ridiculous power levels. Nick T just found his to fail at ~700whp IIRC.
-Cm
Yea... I'm not planning on taking her close to 700whp, so I think I'll be fine on stock rods.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #16

One tip: Either borrow or invest in the tool to reseat the rear main seal, or search the boards for ways of fabbing a similar tool. Simply tapping it in carefully might work...or it won't, ending in a lovely frothy oil puddle on your garage floor.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Well good thing it's in my buddy's garage then

But seriously, yea, I've heard some horror stories and I'm planning on using some sort of trick to make sure it gets installed correctly.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
-Cm
what's wrong with prevent stuff? it's only to make them stronger and it doesn't cost much.

Last edited by SevierSaabOG93; 05-30-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: misread statement
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
One tip: Either borrow or invest in the tool to reseat the rear main seal, or search the boards for ways of fabbing a similar tool. Simply tapping it in carefully might work...or it won't, ending in a lovely frothy oil puddle on your garage floor.
yeah that tool is tits. makes the whole process so easy and seats the seal evenly and quickly.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Well, I got the head off last night!

Would have gotten further, but unfortunately I ran into some pesky stripped torx t-40s on the timing cover! Any Suggestions to pull these bolts without much effort?!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in