Advice on an engine build - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Advice on an engine build

The Car - 2002 93 with an auto, bought cheap with a cracked piston. I bought a B204 bottom end, swapped over the B205 head only to find that it sounds like a diesel and likely has some piston slap. I put new lifters in to no avail.

The crank and bearings look good, so I'm thinking about boring the block .5mm over, installing JE pistons from Taliaferro and switching to the B205 rods to get the extra 6mm of rod length over the B204's and the added compression.

Does anyone see any headaches or issues with the swap. Any suggestions about going another route?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
what head gasket did you use?
a b2x4 bottom end requires a b2x4 head gasket
a b2x5 bottom end requires a b2x5 head gasket

as i just found out the hard way... the rods have to stick with the pistons
b205 rods to b205 pistons
b204 rods to b204 pistons

that being said i am in dire need of a set of b205 rods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Yep, I f****d up. I just spoke to Nick Taliaferro. I used a T7 gasket with a T5 bottom end/T7top end. Its the piston slapping the bottom of the head, hopefully bearings are ok.

Nick suggested swapping out for the thicker T5 head gasket, and checking the bearings. I didn't realize that the T5 pistons were taller than the T7's.

You know what sucks, I think I just scrapped a set of B205 rods I could have given you. I'll double check.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
SAABeginner

I can't speak highly enough of the people at Genuine Saab, knowledgable and extremely helpful people.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
what head gasket did you use?
a b2x4 bottom end requires a b2x4 head gasket
a b2x5 bottom end requires a b2x5 head gasket
the actual block doesnt matter, b2x4 b2x5, its the internals that justify headgasket choice. i think thats what you meant but just clearing it up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
You know what sucks, I think I just scrapped a set of B205 rods I could have given you. I'll double check.
if you could, you would be saving my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
the actual block doesnt matter, b2x4 b2x5, its the internals that justify headgasket choice. i think thats what you meant but just clearing it up
thats exactly what i mean... just no motivation to type, due to the engine issues im trying to resolve

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Lol no motivation to type on something that the OP might be relying on for a motor rebuild?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
SAABeginner

I won't get over to the shop until the end of the week, but I will take a look to be sure I didn't keep them.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Also trying to do the b 204 block, on my 2000 9-3 se (h). (b205 head) so if i can obtain one of these b204 blocks i can use a t5 head gasket and ill be in working order ? these b204s are comig out of 94-98 2.0 turbos if i am correct ? I will have some spare b205 rods and pistons soon =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in