flex fuel viggen without tcs? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

flex fuel viggen without tcs?

is it possible to run e85/petrol without the tcs? from what i hear theres some kinda file/software update that allows this. also swapping an abs module from a tcs car and software upgrades make it possible. anyone actually do this? or is it just a talked about theory? i found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackan View Post
Just thought I'd make things clear regarding the Biopower softwares.

Biopower sodftwares look for the speed signal on the canbus, this is sent out by the TCS or ESP system. If there is no TCS or ESP in the car there is no speedsignal on the canbus.
What I have done with the softwares on trionictuning.com and ecuproject is to reroute the speedsignal readings to the ABS sensors instead, this way even cars without TCS/ESP can use the Biopower basefile.

Cars that were sold as petrol only does not have any E85 maps whatsoever in them, a software change is neccesary!

The mod with a cable to be able to run later softwares only applies to early MY98 cars. MY99 should be fine with just software.

Original red injectors max out at 230bhp, after that an intake upgrade is in order to be able to fit later style injectors. You can however increase torque in the low and mid range to make the car a lot faster than stock with E85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackan View Post
Another route is to retrofit a TCS from a MY00 and onwards Trionic7 car, an easy job, just replace the old ABS unit and connect the canbus cables to it. This also requires newer software that has got support for the TCS unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
is it possible to run e85/petrol without the tcs? from what i hear theres some kinda file/software update that allows this. also swapping an abs module from a tcs car and software upgrades make it possible. anyone actually do this? or is it just a talked about theory? i found this:
Yeah it's possible, My '00 viggen is currently running on flex tune based on mackan's base file.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Elder

It's not just the ABS/TCS controller, the harness is different too IIRC.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
It's not just the ABS/TCS controller, the harness is different too IIRC.
Nothing to do with the Tcs it self.the actual software base is altered to ignore/disable Tcs.works flawlessly.my tune is based on mackan's file and I didn't had any problem in a past year.i can run any percentage e85/petrol.havent dynoed the car but according to t7 suite it's 295hp/400nm crank on petrol or 315hp/430nm on e85.this is with 875cc Deka injectors.
Here is the link to base files :
trionictuning.com • Login
Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Elder

True. Mackan made a file with some modified base coding, ie changes not in the mappable calibrations. I fooled around with it for a little bit and it seems to work pretty well, the only issue I found was how it handled setting the transition line between open and closed loop.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 03-10-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #6

awesome. thanks guys. johns going to be tuning my car for flex fuel. I plan to always use e85 but just in case I get stranded somewhere with no fuel, I can put in petrol and have no issues. there's only 2 gas stations that sell e85 by me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Elder

Innnnnteresting! Good to know.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #8

This will help you: AFDC Ethanol: E85 Fueling Station Locations
Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Elder

0 in RI, 5 in all of Mass. Great
Old 03-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
theres one 8 minutes out of providence in seekonk now, to add to the one in canton. but yeah...RI is never getting any.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
Closest station to me is an hour and a half away.

I wish NH and VT would get a couple of pumps. I'd love to have a flex fuel tune.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #12

would i have to run bigger injectors than the deka 660cc or would those be sufficient? i see denmann is running 875cc, what fuel pump are you running?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yes it is. It's been done and is fairly simple. I was looking into it last year but with the lack of e85 stations and time, i didn't follow through. Sign up on trionictuning.com to view this link. trionictuning.com • Login

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
would i have to run bigger injectors than the deka 660cc or would those be sufficient? i see denmann is running 875cc, what fuel pump are you running?
For stage 1 e85 stock injectors/pump are fine however stage 3 requires bigger injectors and pump.
There is already made tuning packs for st1 and st3, look into t7tuning/tuning packages sub- forum.all you have to do is apply TP to the base file and flash the Bin using canusb or bdm.there is more steps in beetween so please read instructions before hand
Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #15

denmann, how many miles roughly do you get out of a full tank on e85?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #16

pat did you end up going with bigger injectors for the gtx?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by byastremski View Post
pat did you end up going with bigger injectors for the gtx?
im running the 630cc injectors. theres still plenty left on them but might not be enough for e85. so i picked up 830cc injectors just in case. once john starts tuning my car well see if the 630s are enough.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #18

Quote:
im running the 630cc injectors. theres still plenty left on them but might not be enough for e85. so i picked up 830cc injectors just in case. once john starts tuning my car well see if the 630s are enough.
You have the right idea. Go 750 or 830. With the GTX flowing 10-20 percent more than the GT, and E85 requiring about 20 percent more fuel (due to less energy per equivalent amount of 93 octane) you'll probably be out of the 630 in no time.

John knows his shit, tho...You'll probably end up with a sore face from the permagrin after it's tuned.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
You have the right idea. Go 750 or 830. With the GTX flowing 10-20 percent more than the GT, and E85 requiring about 20 percent more fuel (due to less energy per equivalent amount of 93 octane) you'll probably be out of the 630 in no time.

John knows his shit, tho...You'll probably end up with a sore face from the permagrin after it's tuned.
yea john was the one that recommended the 830s. all his cars and a bunch of his buddies over there all run on e85. it just blows theres only one gas station around here that has it. having the flexfuel ability is critical for me

Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
TSLMember

Quote:
denmann, how many miles roughly do you get out of a full tank on e85?
21mpg on petrol and 18mpg on e85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in